GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Oct 2019, 06:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A group of store managers must assemble 280 displays for an

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 58428
A group of store managers must assemble 280 displays for an  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2014, 02:27
8
7
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  5% (low)

Question Stats:

88% (01:23) correct 12% (01:30) wrong based on 969 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Official Guide For GMAT® Quantitative Review, 2ND Edition

A group of store managers must assemble 280 displays for an upcoming sale. If they assemble 25 percent of the displays during the first hour and 40 percent of the remaining displays during the second hour, how many of the displays will not have been assembled by the end of the second hour?

(A) 70
(B) 98
(C) 126
(D) 168
(E) 182

Problem Solving
Question: 159
Category: Arithmetic Percents
Page: 83
Difficulty: 600


GMAT Club is introducing a new project: The Official Guide For GMAT® Quantitative Review, 2ND Edition - Quantitative Questions Project

Each week we'll be posting several questions from The Official Guide For GMAT® Quantitative Review, 2ND Edition and then after couple of days we'll provide Official Answer (OA) to them along with a slution.

We'll be glad if you participate in development of this project:
1. Please provide your solutions to the questions;
2. Please vote for the best solutions by pressing Kudos button;
3. Please vote for the questions themselves by pressing Kudos button;
4. Please share your views on difficulty level of the questions, so that we have most precise evaluation.

Thank you!

_________________
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 58428
Re: A group of store managers must assemble 280 displays for an  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2014, 02:27
2
SOLUTION

A group of store managers must assemble 280 displays for an upcoming sale. If they assemble 25 percent of the displays during the first hour and 40 percent of the remaining displays during the second hour, how many of the displays will not have been assembled by the end of the second hour?

(A) 70
(B) 98
(C) 126
(D) 168
(E) 182

During the first hour 0.25*280 = 70 displays were assembled.
During the second hour 0.4*(280-70) = 84 displays were assembled.

Thus, 280 - (70+84) = 126 displays had not been assembled by the end of the second hour.

Answer: C.
_________________
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Status: The Best Or Nothing
Joined: 27 Dec 2012
Posts: 1747
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: A group of store managers must assemble 280 displays for an  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2014, 19:20
1
1
Answer = (C) 126

In first hour, 25% of 280 = 70

Remaining = 210

40 percent of the remaining displays during the second hour, how many of the displays will not have been assembled by the end of the second hour?

Means 60% have not been assembled

So 60% of 210 = 126
_________________
Kindly press "+1 Kudos" to appreciate :)
Retired Moderator
avatar
Joined: 29 Oct 2013
Posts: 248
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 3.7
WE: Corporate Finance (Retail Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A group of store managers must assemble 280 displays for an  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2014, 13:35
Total Displays:280

Remaining after first hr: 280*75/100

Remaining after 2nd hr: 280*75/100*60/100 = 126

280*75/100*60/100 = 126
_________________
Please contact me for super inexpensive quality private tutoring

My journey V46 and 750 -> http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-journey-to-46-on-verbal-750overall-171722.html#p1367876
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 14 May 2014
Posts: 40
Re: A group of store managers must assemble 280 displays for an  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2014, 23:53
1
Total number of displays to be assembled = 280

After one hour , 25% were assembled.

Remaining (75%) = 75% of 280 = 210

40% of remaining displays assembled in second hour. Remaining 60% = 60% of 210 = 126

Hence C.
_________________
Help me with Kudos if it helped you "

Mathematics is a thought process.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 13 Feb 2011
Posts: 79
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A group of store managers must assemble 280 displays for an  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2014, 21:17
Another way to solve this is 25% + 30% (40% of 100-25) = 55% of displays were assembled. So number of displays that were not assembled = 45% of 280 = 126.
Current Student
User avatar
D
Joined: 12 Aug 2015
Posts: 2562
Schools: Boston U '20 (M)
GRE 1: Q169 V154
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A group of store managers must assemble 280 displays for an  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2016, 10:51
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
P
Joined: 10 Apr 2018
Posts: 267
Location: United States (NC)
Re: A group of store managers must assemble 280 displays for an  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2019, 12:34
The alternate method could be


In first hour they did 25 % , So remaining is 75%. and
in second hour they did 40% of 75% means 10% is 7.5 then 40 % is 30 %
So in two hours they assembled 55% of stuff. and 45 % is yet to be done
So 45% of 280 is what
that is 126
_________________
Probus

~You Just Can't beat the person who never gives up~ Babe Ruth
Target Test Prep Representative
User avatar
D
Status: Founder & CEO
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Joined: 14 Oct 2015
Posts: 8125
Location: United States (CA)
Re: A group of store managers must assemble 280 displays for an  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2019, 11:39
Bunuel wrote:
The Official Guide For GMAT® Quantitative Review, 2ND Edition

A group of store managers must assemble 280 displays for an upcoming sale. If they assemble 25 percent of the displays during the first hour and 40 percent of the remaining displays during the second hour, how many of the displays will not have been assembled by the end of the second hour?

(A) 70
(B) 98
(C) 126
(D) 168
(E) 182

We can create the expression:

0.25 x 280 + 0.4(0.75 x 280)

70 + 0.4(210) = 70 + 84 = 154

Thus, 280 - 154 = 126 are left to be assembled.

Answer: C
_________________

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: A group of store managers must assemble 280 displays for an   [#permalink] 21 Jun 2019, 11:39
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A group of store managers must assemble 280 displays for an

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne