GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Nov 2018, 12:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz # 9

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

09:00 AM PST

11:00 AM PST

Join the Quiz Saturday November 17th, 9 AM PST. The Quiz will last approximately 2 hours. Make sure you are on time or you will be at a disadvantage.

A new advertisement is hanging in many of the East Coast subway statio

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 630 Q39 V38
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V38
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V44
A new advertisement is hanging in many of the East Coast subway statio  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2015, 17:50
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

61% (01:51) correct 39% (01:58) wrong based on 370 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A new advertisement is hanging in many of the East Coast subway stations. The poster proclaims: "Let the new biological pesticide containing micro-organisms be your new best friend! Because it's used by 4 out of every 5 florists, you can be sure that this product will answer your pesticide needs."

Which of the following, if true, most seriously undermines the advertisement's argument?

A) Though an efficient pesticide on the East Coast, the new biological pesticide has yet to undergo satisfactory experimentation in other areas.

B) The company promoting the new biological pesticide sent free samples of it to all florists in the urban centers of the East Coast.

C) Two years ago, most florists were using a chemical pesticide that was popular at the time while two years prior to that, another brand of chemical pesticide was considered the norm.

D) The Nursery Newsweek, published at the time of the advertisement, called on florists to move from chemical pesticides to biological ones, elaborating on the latter's advantages.

E) Pesticides are needed more in nurseries than in florist shops, where plants and flowers are usually held for short periods of time.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Re: A new advertisement is hanging in many of the East Coast subway statio  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2015, 14:03
Still don't get why B is the correct answer. It talks about large sample size and this should strengthen the argument. I opted for E. Can anyone explain?

"Are you gangsters?" - "No we are Russians!"

Manager
Manager
Re: A new advertisement is hanging in many of the East Coast subway statio  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2015, 15:56
Konstantin1983 wrote:
Still don't get why B is the correct answer. It talks about large sample size and this should strengthen the argument. I opted for E. Can anyone explain?

B is the correct answer because the fact that "it's used by 4 out of every 5 florists" is because it was given to them for free, and not because it is the best pesticide, making the argument that "this product will answer your pesticide needs." questionable.

I don't really see why E would weaken the argument.
Current Student
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2015, 22:36
Hi mascarfi,

I double the above claim. As per your statement, the samples were sent for free then all should be using it. But as per the claim made in the AD it is only a case of 4/5.

Normally the guy should either be a complete fake or a completely genuine one. :) The guy who put the ad is somewhere in between the two cases. :P

I will give my 2 cents for why I chose E.

As per the claim 4/5 florists use the pesticide. But as per E, nurseries require the pesticides and not florists hence any claim of 4/5 or even 5/5 will become useless since it is not required to be there at all in the first place thereby weakening the argument.

Would love to see your opinion.

Regards,
Dom.
Manager
Manager
P
WE: Supply Chain Management (Computer Hardware)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2015, 02:33
Don't you think B is too vague.. B says samples sent "to urban centers of the East Coast" what if urban centers have less people and there other centers with more people (or say there are only 5 people in East cost, 1 in urban center and 4 in rural center) .Need some help please!
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2015, 03:52
Turkish
The question starts with “A new advertisement is hanging in many of the East Coast subway stations”, therefore I don’t think that "to urban centers of the East Coast" is vague at all, The company is clearly targeting customers in urban centers, since the advertisement is hanging on the subway stations.

dominicraj
I don’t think E weakens the argument. The fact that pesticides are “more needed in nursery homes” does not invalidates an argument saying "Let the new biological pesticide containing micro-organisms be your new best friend! Because it's used by 4 out of every 5 florists, you can be sure that this product will answer your pesticide needs.", it does not mean that they are not needed on florist shops as well.
They are using the “good statistic” of 80% of florists using their product in order to advertise it. Lets use another product to make the same comparison. Let’s say you have a laptop computer that is used by 4/5 of students, saying that it is more needed by engineers does not weakens an advertisement aimed to sell those notebooks for students.

The way I see it, “The company promoting the new biological pesticide sent free samples of it to all florists in the urban centers of the East Coast.” clearly weakens the argument by implying that the pesticide is only used because it was given to the florists for free, not because it was the best pesticide.

Hope it is clear now.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2015, 10:44
Mascarfi wrote:
Konstantin1983 wrote:

B is the correct answer because the fact that "it's used by 4 out of every 5 florists" is because it was given to them for free, and not because it is the best pesticide, making the argument that "this product will answer your pesticide needs." questionable.

I don't really see why E would weaken the argument.

Thanks Mascarfi!
Now i see. Key word is "free". Yes i agree

"Are you gangsters?" - "No we are Russians!"

Intern
Intern
Schools: Stanford '22
GRE 1: Q159 V151
GPA: 3.35
WE: Engineering (Real Estate)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2018, 17:22
I'm confused that B is the correct answer because the answer itself is based on an assumption. The assumption is that florists will use whatever pesticide they get for free. There is no basis to assume that is correct. I was voting for A, but I understand that the argument doesn't care about other areas other than the East Coast. So I would probably go for B, using Process Of Elimination, but I'm not 100% sold on it.
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Strategy, Nonprofit
Schools: ISB '20
GPA: 3.71

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2018, 08:08
I chose C, thinking it suggests that the mere use by florists isn't reliable indicator of pesticides' capability to meet the needs of florists.

Posted from my mobile device

Everything is in flux, nothing stays still

MGMAT1 :590 Q42 V30 (07/07/18)
VERITAS :660 Q48 V33 (16/07/18)
GMATPREP1 :690 Q46 V36 (22/07/18)
GMATPREP2 :740 Q51 V39 (06/08/18)
ECONOMIST :740 Q49 V44 (11/08/18)
KAPLAN :690 Q49 V36 (17/08/18)
PRINCETON :690 Q48 V38 (26/08/18)
MGMAT2 :720 Q43 V45 (02/09/18)

GMAT Club Bot
Re: A new advertisement is hanging in many of the East Coast subway statio &nbs [#permalink] 24 Jul 2018, 08:08

A new advertisement is hanging in many of the East Coast subway statio

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap