GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Aug 2019, 18:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A new form of digital memory stores larger amounts of inform

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Real Estate
A new form of digital memory stores larger amounts of inform  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 08 Aug 2014, 01:08
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

46% (02:28) correct 54% (02:57) wrong based on 314 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A new form of digital memory stores larger amounts of information than current forms by compressing graphic, audio, and video files according to how often they are used, as calculated by an algorithm. Files that are not used often at all are compressed to lower quality levels than those that are used frequently, making the capacity of the new memory system almost three times larger than that of existing memory systems. The company responsible for the new digital memory's creation plans to market it for business and personal use since a consumer poll reveals that in both cases extremely large capacities for storage are always in demand.

Which of the following, if true, casts the most doubt regarding the effectiveness of the company's plan?

△ The compression of all types of digital files can be executed in a sophisticated manner so that the compressed result has not been distorted in a way that will render it undesirable or ineffective for further use.

△ In a recent survey it was noted that the storage and management of digital information in products receives more attention by users looking for solutions for commercial applications than for personal applications.

△ Most products that rely on digital memory to function are priced relative to the capacity of the storage provided by that memory although in some cases products are sold separately to memory components allowing the consumer to then choose from a variety of storage sizes.

△ Almost 90% of the vast number of files stored by businesses are never retrieved and are stored at a high cost, but when a specific file is needed, it may contain information relevant to current issues that may be crucial to the business.

△ Memory systems are likely to be incompatible with a digital product that was developed before their release since the compatibility of digital products is limited and tends, therefore, to be focused on integration with memory systems released at the same time.

Originally posted by aalokk on 31 Jul 2014, 11:08.
Last edited by pqhai on 08 Aug 2014, 01:08, edited 1 time in total.
Added OA
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A new form of digital memory stores larger amounts of inform  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2014, 20:56
Is it D as it indicates the limitation in the usefulness of the device by virtue of the algorithm compression logic.

I must admit that the "lower quality level" is a bit abstract term for me and I am an Engineer.

For music / video , it can imply lower sampling thus occupy less space but for data normally used by business say reports , files what would it imply ? zipping could be one option but that does not cause any degradation in quality.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2014, 08:58
I chose E, because it basically says that in order to use the new storage, businesses need to upgrade all their current memory systems.
I don't see how D is the answer...
Help?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2014, 09:45
ronr34 wrote:
I chose E, because it basically says that in order to use the new storage, businesses need to upgrade all their current memory systems.
Help?

I chose E because of the same reasons. Please help explain why D is correct. It is an irony that I am a computer engineer myself :).
Retired Moderator
B
Status: On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sit on a throne of blood.
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2014, 17:45
@ronr34 and @dransa
A new form of digital memory stores larger amounts of information than current forms by compressing graphic, audio, and video files according to how often they are used, as calculated by an algorithm. Files that are not used often at all are compressed to lower quality levels than those that are used frequently, making the capacity of the new memory system almost three times larger than that of existing memory systems. The company responsible for the new digital memory's creation plans to market it for business and personal use since a consumer poll reveals that in both cases extremely large capacities for storage are always in demand.

Which of the following, if true, casts the most doubt regarding the effectiveness of the company's plan?
Maybe the method of compression where lesser used files are stored at lower quality is not conducive to the target audience - home and business use.

A. The compression of all types of digital files can be executed in a sophisticated manner so that the compressed result has not been distorted in a way that will render it undesirable or ineffective for further use. This is an assumption on which the argument depends. It cannot be a weakener.

B. In a recent survey it was noted that the storage and management of digital information in products receives more attention by users looking for solutions for commercial applications than for personal applications. Has no effect on our conclusion since both personal and business/commercial applications are considered at the same level

C. Most products that rely on digital memory to function are priced relative to the capacity of the storage provided by that memory although in some cases products are sold separately to memory components allowing the consumer to then choose from a variety of storage sizes. The consumers may still prefer a pricey product. We have no reason to believe that the product wont sell.

D. Almost 90% of the vast number of files stored by businesses are never retrieved and are stored at a high cost, but when a specific file is needed, it may contain information relevant to current issues that may be crucial to the business. Correct. This is the sort of weakener that we were looking for. This means that the product is not useful for *atleast* 1 of the 2 target consumers.

E. Memory systems are likely to be incompatible with a digital product that was developed before their release since the compatibility of digital products is limited and tends, therefore, to be focused on integration with memory systems released at the same time. We are talking about *memory systems* in general. What is applicable to this particular product can be applicable to *all other* memory products. So if this memory product has this limitation so does all the others that were developed recently. It has no effect on our conclusion. What we are looking for is to a reason why this particular product wont sell, not why all memory systems developed recently wont sell.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2014, 02:11
AmoyV wrote:
@ronr34 and @dransa

Maybe the method of compression where lesser used files are stored at lower quality is not conducive to the target audience - home and business use.

A. The compression of all types of digital files can be executed in a sophisticated manner so that the compressed result has not been distorted in a way that will render it undesirable or ineffective for further use. This is an assumption on which the argument depends. It cannot be a weakener.

B. In a recent survey it was noted that the storage and management of digital information in products receives more attention by users looking for solutions for commercial applications than for personal applications. Has no effect on our conclusion since both personal and business/commercial applications are considered at the same level

C. Most products that rely on digital memory to function are priced relative to the capacity of the storage provided by that memory although in some cases products are sold separately to memory components allowing the consumer to then choose from a variety of storage sizes. The consumers may still prefer a pricey product. We have no reason to believe that the product wont sell.

D. Almost 90% of the vast number of files stored by businesses are never retrieved and are stored at a high cost, but when a specific file is needed, it may contain information relevant to current issues that may be crucial to the business. Correct. This is the sort of weakener that we were looking for. This means that the product is not useful for *atleast* 1 of the 2 target consumers.

E. Memory systems are likely to be incompatible with a digital product that was developed before their release since the compatibility of digital products is limited and tends, therefore, to be focused on integration with memory systems released at the same time. We are talking about *memory systems* in general. What is applicable to this particular product can be applicable to *all other* memory products. So if this memory product has this limitation so does all the others that were developed recently. It has no effect on our conclusion. What we are looking for is to a reason why this particular product wont sell, not why all memory systems developed recently wont sell.

Then maybe I'm just not understanding what option D is saying...
Why do you conclude that it means businesses won't be able to use this product?
Retired Moderator
B
Status: On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sit on a throne of blood.
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2014, 08:40
ronr34 wrote:

Quote:
Almost 90% of the vast number of files stored by businesses are never retrieved and are stored at a high cost, but when a specific file is needed, it may contain information relevant to current issues that may be crucial to the business.

"Almost 90% of the vast number of files stored by businesses are never retireved" ---> This means that these files will be compressed to lower quality and stored (line 2 of the argument)

"but when a specific file is needed, it may contain information relevant to current issues that may be crucial to the business" ---> This means that critical information when retrieved might be retrieved in a lower quality than desirable (maybe they are keeping photos which need good quality).

Since businesses will be compromising on losing out on critical pieces of information due to the method of compression that the new product uses, it will not serve their purpose and they will opt to not buy such a product.

Did that help?
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2014, 02:31
dransa wrote:
ronr34 wrote:
Help?

I chose E because of the same reasons. Please help explain why D is correct. It is an irony that I am a computer engineer myself :).

There are 2 clauses to E and why its not the correct answer.
It says that memory systems are likely to be incompatible with a digital product that were released prior to it.
This comparison is superfluous because the comparison is between memory systems and digital products whereas the argument talks about digital memory systems. We can't assume the memory systems to be the same as digital memory systems unless explicitly mentioned in the argument.
Second, even if digital products need to be upgraded, does it by any means imply that this upgrade is not feasible. Lets say that an upgrade is feasible and potential business and household customers are fine with this upgrade, then the option stands no where close to weakening the argument. Unless explicitly mentioned in the option that the upgrade is not feasible, it does not weaken because the crux of the argument revolves around the marketing that needs to initiated to customers by the company.

I hope I made sense. Happy to help! :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2014, 14:15
AmoyV wrote:
ronr34 wrote:

Quote:
Almost 90% of the vast number of files stored by businesses are never retrieved and are stored at a high cost, but when a specific file is needed, it may contain information relevant to current issues that may be crucial to the business.

"Almost 90% of the vast number of files stored by businesses are never retireved" ---> This means that these files will be compressed to lower quality and stored (line 2 of the argument)

"but when a specific file is needed, it may contain information relevant to current issues that may be crucial to the business" ---> This means that critical information when retrieved might be retrieved in a lower quality than desirable (maybe they are keeping photos which need good quality).

Since businesses will be compromising on losing out on critical pieces of information due to the method of compression that the new product uses, it will not serve their purpose and they will opt to not buy such a product.

Did that help?

That's what I understand after reading the answers.
When I first read it, I thought that "compressed to a lower quality" means that they'll be less compressed, but not that the files themselves will be damaged....
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2014, 11:23
I did not understand why D is the OA. :| Well if I go by the "exclusion principle" then may be it's the least unfit choice, but...am not convinced...what if we had other "less absurd" options??? :?

Almost 90% of the vast number of files stored by businesses are never retrieved and are stored at a high cost (This means that these files will be compressed to a lower quality and stored in the new digital memory system), but when a specific file is needed, it may contain information relevant to current issues that may be crucial to the business (So these more frequently used files would automatically be stored at a higher quality level)

Then, how on earth, is this statement casting a doubt regarding the effectiveness of the new digital memory system? :shock:
MISSION : 800
WE: Design (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2015, 23:34
sxyz wrote:
I did not understand why D is the OA. :| Well if I go by the "exclusion principle" then may be it's the least unfit choice, but...am not convinced...what if we had other "less absurd" options??? :?

Almost 90% of the vast number of files stored by businesses are never retrieved and are stored at a high cost (This means that these files will be compressed to a lower quality and stored in the new digital memory system), but when a specific file is needed, it may contain information relevant to current issues that may be crucial to the business (So these more frequently used files would automatically be stored at a higher quality level)

Then, how on earth, is this statement casting a doubt regarding the effectiveness of the new digital memory system? :shock:

Files that are not used often at all are compressed to lower quality levels
GIVEN
So these more frequently used files would automatically be stored at a higher quality levels > You yourself cannot assume that when those files will be decompressed they will be of higher quality.[size=150]
REMEMBER NO OUTSIDE INFORMATION [/size]

+KUDOS

> I CAN, I WILL <
Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2015, 01:07
iaak wrote:
sxyz wrote:

Files that are not used often at all are compressed to lower quality levels
GIVEN
So these more frequently used files would automatically be stored at a higher quality levels > You yourself cannot assume that when those files will be decompressed they will be of higher quality.[size=150]
REMEMBER NO OUTSIDE INFORMATION [/size]

What are you talking iaak , i agree we cannot assume too much !! on any gmat cr question but since this is a weakning question and Weaken answer choices can surpass the outside of or tangential to the stimulus it is safe to assume a few things.
Manager
Manager
MISSION : 800
WE: Design (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2015, 01:22
Hi Lucky2783 :)

I got you what you are trying to say. Everyone can interpret the answer choices in dr own way and i bet that everyone's approach is different.
But in this question the statement made by is the perfect sole reason that why the particular answer choice is correct.

+KUDOS

> I CAN, I WILL <
Non-Human User

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2019, 04:15
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: A new form of digital memory stores larger amounts of inform   [#permalink] 05 Aug 2019, 04:15

A new form of digital memory stores larger amounts of inform

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics