GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Oct 2019, 08:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A recent state survey of human resources found that the age to which s

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Board of Directors
D
A recent state survey of human resources found that the age to which s  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2019, 10:39
Top Contributor
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

57% (01:52) correct 43% (01:51) wrong based on 54 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A recent state survey of human resources found that the age to which secretarial school graduates are expected to live is four years in excess of the age to which other graduates of high school are expected to live. One possible conclusion is that secretarial school. attendance is beneficial to one's health.

To evaluate the conclusion above, it would be most important to know the answer to which of the following questions?

(A) Have the average age of new high school graduates and the average age of new secretarial school graduates recently increased?
(B) Do some secretarial school graduates have college degrees?
(C) Given that women have a greater life expectancy than men, what are the relative proportions of men and women among high school and secretarial school graduates?
(D) Given that women have a greater life expectancy than men, what proportion of all women attend secretarial school?
(E) Has the proportion of high school graduates who attend secretarial school increased in recent years?

B
Re: A recent state survey of human resources found that the age to which s  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2019, 19:24
Why C is correct? In the question never mention the gender of the students

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
S
GPA: 3.1
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: A recent state survey of human resources found that the age to which s  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2019, 19:34
Why E is wrong ?

Basically this question is to check the assumption in the form of a question .

So if proportion of the high school graduates has increased , so the average will also go up....

Another cause to weaken the question.

Please correct me where I have got this wrong

Tuck School Moderator
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
Reviews Badge
A recent state survey of human resources found that the age to which s  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2019, 19:59
RaquelR1409 wrote:
Why C is correct? In the question never mention the gender of the students

carcass wrote:
A recent state survey of human resources found that the age to which secretarial school graduates are expected to live is four years in excess of the age to which other graduates of high school are expected to live. One possible conclusion is that secretarial school. attendance is beneficial to one's health.

To evaluate the conclusion above, it would be most important to know the answer to which of the following questions?

(A) Have the average age of new high school graduates and the average age of new secretarial school graduates recently increased?
(B) Do some secretarial school graduates have college degrees?
(C) Given that women have a greater life expectancy than men, what are the relative proportions of men and women among high school and secretarial school graduates?
(D) Given that women have a greater life expectancy than men, what proportion of all women attend secretarial school?
(E) Has the proportion of high school graduates who attend secretarial school increased in recent years?

hi RaquelR1409
Here, we need to evaluate whether there is any other factor which might affect the conclusion made by the author.
Options C brings out this beautifully by using the fact that women have a greater life expectancy than men.
let me explain using some data
suppose
secretarial school = 15 women 5 men(total 20)
high school = 5 women 15 men(total 20)

so using the fact and the data set above we can say that the reason secretarial graduate has higher average life expectancy is due to more number of women than high school. (weighted average from quant :) )

so to evaluate the author's conclusion we need to know the relative proportion of men and women in the two schools.

I hope my explanation makes some sense.
D
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
GPA: 3.97
WE: Project Management (Investment Banking)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2019, 20:44
Stuck between C and D .
Somehow the options bring in gender age ratio, now if we have to compare gender age ratio and we know women live longer we should compare of both.
D misses comparison of high school hence C
Other options are wrong

(A) Have the average age of new high school graduates and the average age of new secretarial school graduates recently increased? No comparison clue
(B) Do some secretarial school graduates have college degrees? Irrelevant
(C) Given that women have a greater life expectancy than men, what are the relative proportions of men and women among high school and secretarial school graduates? Proved above
(D) Given that women have a greater life expectancy than men, what proportion of all women attend secretarial school? Proved wrong
(E) Has the proportion of high school graduates who attend secretarial school increased in recent years?Again no compairson stated
GMAT Club Bot
Re: A recent state survey of human resources found that the age to which s   [#permalink] 16 Feb 2019, 20:44

A recent state survey of human resources found that the age to which s

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics