Last visit was: 15 Jul 2024, 14:16 It is currently 15 Jul 2024, 14:16
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 641117 [6]
Given Kudos: 85011
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 732 [1]
Given Kudos: 81
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Re: A store was selling beans at a profit of 20%, but the weighing machine [#permalink]
ThatDudeKnows wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
A store was selling beans at a profit of 20%, but the weighing machine was broken and showed 950 grams for 1 kilogram. What is the store's actual profit percentage?

A. 10%
B. 14%
C. 16%
D. 19%
E. 26%

KartikSingh09, you're close. However, at no point did we have 1050g on the scale, nor did the scale ever show 1050g. Your numbers worked out in this case, but they wouldn't have if the discrepancy between actual and scale had been much larger than 5%.

Let's say we buy for 1kg is $100 and intend to sell it for $120.
We still bought 1kg for $100 but we sold it for 0.95*120 = $114.
Our profit margin is 14%.

Answer choice B.

ThatDudeKnows In the question, it says that the store was selling beans at 20% profit. In an ideal scenario he'd be selling $100 worth of product (assuming CP of 1kg = $100) at $120, and according to the question, he still believes he's selling at $120, but when he weighs 1 kg of product, the machine will show 950g and he'll add 50g more to make it 1 kg on the machine (I'm assuming he does not know this, else the question won't exist in the first place). So, at $120 he's selling 1.05kg worth of product, hence I changed the CP accordingly.

Can you please let me know how and where I went wrong? and how will the metrics change if the error in the machine would be more?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 732 [2]
Given Kudos: 81
Send PM
Re: A store was selling beans at a profit of 20%, but the weighing machine [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
KartikSingh09 wrote:

ThatDudeKnows In the question, it says that the store was selling beans at 20% profit. In an ideal scenario he'd be selling $100 worth of product (assuming CP of 1kg = $100) at $120, and according to the question, he still believes he's selling at $120, but when he weighs 1 kg of product, the machine will show 950g and he'll add 50g more to make it 1 kg on the machine (I'm assuming he does not know this, else the question won't exist in the first place). So, at $120 he's selling 1.05kg worth of product, hence I changed the CP accordingly.

Can you please let me know how and where I went wrong? and how will the metrics change if the error in the machine would be more?

KartikSingh09

When he added the 50g, how did he do that? If he used the same incorrectly-calibrated scale, it was really 47.5g.

However, not even that is correct, as the prompt never tells us that he added anything; it tells us exactly how much was on the scale (1kg) and exactly how much he charged for (0.95kg). When you increase each of those, you change the prompt. You’ve assumed that he was trying to weigh out 1kg, but the prompt doesn’t say that. He wanted to weigh 0.95kg and accidentally gave 1kg instead.

Does that make sense?

Posted from my mobile device
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 851 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
94354 posts