GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Aug 2018, 00:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

drastic drop in score

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GRE 1: Q164 V162
GPA: 3.85
WE: Accounting (Investment Banking)
CAT Tests
drastic drop in score  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2018, 06:25
Hello folks,

I have been studying for GMAT since last year (approximately August). My initial score was q32, v 21. By now, I managed to improve to Q46-48, v 28. I am aiming for 680, planning to take test next month. However, I noticed that more and more I am unable to process simplest analysis. For example, I was able to solve OG questions a few weeks ago (and for correct reasons) but since yesterday when I started resolving same OG questions, I was not able to perform analysis of even 500 level quant questions, let alone 700 (most the times I neglected considering negative numbers, etc. which I never did before). I feel I am getting stupid and my exam is just a few weeks ahead. I am feeling desperate, stressed, and miserable. Can you tell me if I need to reschedule the test? Is it something that can happen to many test takers? Or am I getting stupid day by day?

Thanks in advance!
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: drastic drop in score  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2018, 09:32
Hi nigina93,

To answer your immediate question: NO - it's not likely that you are getting 'stupid' as each day passes. There is the possibility that you are studying too much though - and that type of over-activity can lead to 'burn out.' Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) How many hours do you study in a typical week? How many hours do you typically study during the weekend?
4) How have you scored on EACH of your recent practice CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores fore EACH)?
5) What is your exact Test Date?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2018, 08:03
Hi nigina93,

Your sudden feeling of becoming more stupid by the day could be due to anxiety or under-confidence about your preparation. You must take a step back and review your preparation so far.
    • Nihal gave his first attempt after 6 months of preparation and ended up with a 630. He doubted his ability, but within matter of days, he pulled himself up and invested in the right resource and executed a fool proof strategy. He improved to an amazing 760 in 2 months. Click here to read his amazing debrief and learn how he did it.

I would like to understand the following from you about your preparation to be able to guide you further:
    1. How do you approach questions? Do you have a well-defined process or you randomly decide the approach on seeing the question?
    2. Have you used any material other than OG to study?

Attend the free CR and Algebra webinars this weekend to learn the approach used by Nihal

We are conducting free webinars on CR and Algebra this weekend to help students like you with strategies to ace the respective sub-sections of GMAT

Regards,
Aditee

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Target Test Prep Representative
G
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2018, 11:14
Hi nigina93,

I am glad you reached out and I am happy to help. I, too, would like to learn some more regarding your GMAT situation. I have a few additional questions:

1) To what programs will you be applying? What are the deadlines for these programs?

2) By when would you LIKE to take the GMAT? By when MUST you take the GMAT?

3) Can you take an MBA.com practice exam and report back with your score breakdown? This will give us a clear picture of where you are at currently.

Finally, you may find it helpful to read my article about How to Learn More, Learn Faster, and Retain More Knowledge While Preparing for the GMAT.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Re: drastic drop in score &nbs [#permalink] 16 Jul 2018, 11:14

drastic drop in score

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap