GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Aug 2019, 05:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

ABCD is a parallelogram which has a right angle. If the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
ABCD is a parallelogram which has a right angle. If the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2011, 03:01
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

53% (01:27) correct 48% (01:53) wrong based on 80 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

ABCD is a parallelogram which has a right angle. If the diagonals intersect in point E, what is the area of ABCD?

1. side AB equals 5
2. Area of AEB triangle is 5

any inputs?
Retired Moderator
Re: Area of Rectangle - 700+  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2011, 04:39
SonyGmat wrote:
ABCD is a parallelogram which has a right angle. If the diagonals intersect in point E, what is the area of ABCD?

1. side AB equals 5

any inputs?

We know ABCD is a rectangle. And the intersection of the diagonal is at half the distance from either side.

2. Lets draw a perpendicular from E on AB and call the intersection P.
Area of AEB= 1/2*AB*PE
PE=1/2*BC
Area of AEB= 1/2*AB*1/2*BC=5
AB*BC=5*4=20
Sufficient.

Ans: "B"
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2011, 10:11
fluke wrote:
SonyGmat wrote:

1. side AB equals 5

any inputs?

We know ABCD is a rectangle. And the intersection of the diagonal is at half the distance from either side.

2. Lets draw a perpendicular from E on AB and call the intersection P.
Area of AEB= 1/2*AB*PE
PE=1/2*BC
Area of AEB= 1/2*AB*1/2*BC=5
AB*BC=5*4=20
Sufficient.

Ans: "B"

why can't it be a square?? How did you arrive to the point that its a rectangle ?

Please click Kudos ,if my post helped you ;)
Retired Moderator

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2011, 10:33
gmatcracker24 wrote:
why can't it be a square?? How did you arrive to the point that its a rectangle ?

A rectangle includes square i.e. a square is a specialized rectangle and it is perfectly alright to call a square rectangle; however the reverse may not be true. That's beside the point though. Square or rectangle, the point of intersection of the two diagonals is midway between both sides in either of the quadrilaterals. In other words, the distance between the point of intersection and side of the rectangle would either be 1/2*length OR be 1/2*width. You can prove it with similar triangles;

Say,
ABCD is the rectangle. AC and BD intersect at O. Draw a perpendicular from O on AB such that it intersects at P. Now,

ABC ~ APO
AC/AO=BC/PO
AC=2AO(Diagonals bisect each other)
BC/PO=2
PO=1/2*BC

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2011, 11:22
fluke wrote:
Say,
ABCD is the rectangle. AC and BD intersect at O. Draw a perpendicular from O on AB such that it intersects at P. Now,

ABC ~ APO
AC/AO=BC/PO
BC/PO=2
PO=1/2*BC

But we must prove that the triangles, ABC, APO are similar using the SAS theorem. (2 sides in proportion and the angle between them will be equal)

1.AP and AB are in proportion (because the altitude, AP (of APO triangle) will also be median, since AOB is isosceles triangle. It is isosceles because the diagonals bisect each other and AO=BO)

2.AO and AC are in proportion (since in rectangle the diagonals bisect each other)

3.they share the included angle CAB=OAP

Therefore the sides of triangles of APO:ABC will be 1:2, therefore the ratio of PO:BC will be 1:2 also.

Or trying to prove similarity, we could say that they have 2 angles congruent, therefore they are similar.

Correct?

Thanks so much fluke for your input!
Retired Moderator

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2011, 13:04
SonyGmat wrote:
fluke wrote:
Say,

ABC ~ APO
AC/AO=BC/PO
BC/PO=2
PO=1/2*BC

But we must prove that the triangles, ABC, APO are similar using the SAS theorem. (2 sides in proportion and the angle between them will be equal)

1.AP and AB are in proportion (because the altitude, AP (of APO triangle) will also be median, since AOB is isosceles triangle. It is isosceles because the diagonals bisect each other and AO=BO)

2.AO and AC are in proportion (since in rectangle the diagonals bisect each other)

3.they share the included angle CAB=OAP

Therefore the sides of triangles of APO:ABC will be 1:2, therefore the ratio of PO:BC will be 1:2 also.

Or trying to prove similarity, we could say that they have 2 angles congruent, therefore they are similar.

Correct?

Thanks so much fluke for your input!

I'd prove the similarity using AA criterion.
<BAC=<PAO{:Same angle}
And
<APO=<ABC{:Alternate angle of two parallel lines OP and BC intersected by line AB}

Rest is there in my earlier post.

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2011, 06:08
From the prompt, it is given that the parallelogram is a rectangle. Find the area of the rectangle

It cannot be a square because inorder to satisfy the criterion for a square, all the four sides have to be equal

Statement 1
Gives us one side of the rectangle. Insufficient

Statement 2
1/2*AB*height = 5. Here the height = 1/2*(the width of the rectangle, say BC)

1/2*AB*1/2*BC = 5 or AB*BC = 20. Sufficient
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
D

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2011, 00:08
SonyGmat wrote:

1. side AB equals 5

any inputs?

Here is my take:

I think everyone here agrees that the parallelogram is a rectangle.
Attachment:
Ques3.jpg
Ques3.jpg [ 8.04 KiB | Viewed 2705 times ]

Stmnt 2 tells us that Area of AEB = 5 = (1/2)*a*(1/2)b
What is the area of triangle BED? It is (1/2)*b*(1/2)a
It is exactly the same as the area of AEB and hence will also be 5. Similarly, the area of the other 2 triangles is also 5 each.
So area of rectangle will be 20.
Stmnt 2 is sufficient alone.

Now think of the takeaway from this question.

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Manager
Manager
Re: ABCD is a parallelogram which has a right angle. If the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2012, 01:53
B indeed.

Question: What is the area of parallelogram ABCD?
We know that the parallelogram with a right angle is a rectangle. So, to find out the area, we just need to find out the product of the sides of the rectangle.

Statement 1:
We know the length of only one of the sides of the rectangle. We have no information on the other side. Thus INSUFFICIENT

Statement 2:
We know that E will be equidistant from (AB and CD) and (BC and AD). Thus, the height of the triangle is half the breadth of the rectangle.
From the formula of area of triangle, we can substitute the values and find out that the area of the rectangle is 20. Thus SUFFICIENT.

Answer: B
S
Concentration: Leadership, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2017, 19:25

1. side AB equals 5

Hi Bunuel ,

Could you please comment on this question . If the question is correct from GMAT point of view .

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2019, 22:07
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: ABCD is a parallelogram which has a right angle. If the   [#permalink] 08 Aug 2019, 22:07

ABCD is a parallelogram which has a right angle. If the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics