GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Apr 2019, 13:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Accept Half/Full or Reapply?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Better Idea?

• 100% [5]
  • 0% [0]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Accept Half/Full or Reapply?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2019, 17:27
Hey everyone,

I joined this forum recently in order to get help on my own decision, and have been amazed by how helpful everyone is here. It’s bascially what’s kept me around to do the same.

Given that, I wanted to get some thoughts on a topic I’ve been discussing with friends: When does it make sense to turn down a scholarship (whatever amount) at a lower-ranked and reapply the next year to try and get into a “better” program?

At what point does it become a bad idea?

What if someone gets into Kellogg with 50% and is dead-set on going to HSW?

What if someone has a full-ride to Anderson/Johnson/Marshall but really wants to go to an M7 and is considering applying next years?

What about something a bit more extreme: 50% to Yale/Duke/Tuck but wonders if they’ll get into Kellogg/Haas if they apply the next year?

Obviously there are nuances to every situation, but I’m really curious to hear what you all have to say about this from a high-level perspective!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.83
Re: Accept Half/Full or Reapply?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2019, 11:36
I think it depends on a lot of things— age, vanity, and goals all come to mind first.

If I went to princeton, got a 3.9/760, had a PE job at KKR, I don’t know that I settle for less than HSW. Maybe Columbia/Booth on a scholarship. Because a that point, you are already so dripping with prestige that anything less looks like a failure.

Or if you wanted to get into VC— top schools can be really key there.

For 95% of applicants with 95% of goals I really don’t think it makes a difference which school as long as it is in the top 10 to 20 schools (depending on specific schools)

Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2019, 13:24
I have put this post together: https://gmatclub.com/forum/value-of-a-t ... 13365.html you may have seen it.

However, situations are different for diff groups and should be called out - e.g. international applicants who may have a higher risk of missing out on ability to get a job or H1B, in that case i feel a scholarship is preferrable. At the same time I have seen international applicants argue that they need all the help they can get from the school's career services and recruiting machine so they go to the highest-ranked program and going to Ross at retail while bypassing McCombs or Foster with a 50-100% scholarship.

Also for some it is much more than just a degree or a step in the progression towards a goal, an MBA is a mini-goal in itself and some won't settle for anything but the best, undeterred by a $150K, in which ase, you can always replace $150K later but you won't be able to get another degree. On the flip side, if you read GMAT Club reviews of the business school experience, you will notice one stark pattern among all schools (HBS and Stanford included) - people are disappointed with their classmates. In part i feel it is because we expect everyone to be better than us or we don't take the time to get to know them or their talents but whatever the reason, the outcome is the same - there are regrets in whatever school you attend and a bit portion of the outcome and value of the MBA depends on your own efforts and inputs. As someone said on GMAT Club over 10 years ago now - if one is a bad driver, getting a ferrari is hardly going to make their driving better, and perhaps the opposite.

Happy Saturday everybody :)

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here!
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests
Which School to Choose Forum Moderator
S
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.75

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2019, 07:25
Sobes4life wrote:
I think it depends on a lot of things— age, vanity, and goals all come to mind first.

If I went to princeton, got a 3.9/760, had a PE job at KKR, I don’t know that I settle for less than HSW. Maybe Columbia/Booth on a scholarship. Because a that point, you are already so dripping with prestige that anything less looks like a failure.

Or if you wanted to get into VC— top schools can be really key there.

For 95% of applicants with 95% of goals I really don’t think it makes a difference which school as long as it is in the top 10 to 20 schools (depending on specific schools)

with the profile you mentioned, you aren't settling for less than H/S
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Accept Half/Full or Reapply?   [#permalink] 31 Mar 2019, 07:25

Accept Half/Full or Reapply?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap