It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 16:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

According to a recent study, Earth's magnetic north pole is moving awa

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 296 [1], given: 84

Schools: IIMC (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 2.6
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
According to a recent study, Earth's magnetic north pole is moving awa [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2014, 04:37
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

75% (00:51) correct 25% (01:12) wrong based on 726 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

According to a recent study, Earth's magnetic north pole is moving away from Alaska and toward Siberia so rapidly, within 50 years, that the swirling green auroras of the Northern Lights might be visible in cities as far south as Rome, which is located at 41º north latitude.

(A) rapidly, within 50 years, that the swirling green auroras of the Northern Lights might be visible in cities as far south as Rome, which is

(B) rapidly, within 50 years, people may be able to see the swirling green auroras of the Northern Lights in cities as far south as Rome and

(C) rapidly that, within 50 years, the swirling green auroras of the Northern Lights may be visible from cities as far south as Rome,

(D) rapidly such that, within 50 years, people might be able to see the swirling green auroras of the Northern Lights from cities as far south as Rome, and

(E) rapidly that, within 50 years, the swirling green auroras of the Northern Lights might be visible by people in cities far to the south; such as Rome,
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Give KUDOS if the post helps you... :-D

Last edited by hazelnut on 29 Oct 2017, 01:28, edited 2 times in total.
Edited the question.

Kudos [?]: 296 [1], given: 84

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 294 [0], given: 61

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: According to a recent study, Earth's magnetic north pole is moving awa [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2014, 05:00
C it is: rapidly that, within 50 years, the swirling green auroras of the Northern Lights may be visible from cities as far south as Rome,

faults (in bold) with others

A. rapidly, within 50 years, that the swirling green auroras of the Northern Lights might be visible in cities as far south as Rome, which is

B. rapidly, within 50 years, people may be able to see the swirling green auroras of the Northern Lights in cities as far south as Rome and---->"THAT" is ALSO missing (big mistake)

C. rapidly that, within 50 years, the swirling green auroras of the Northern Lights may be visible from cities as far south as Rome,-------------->correct !!

D. rapidly such that, within 50 years, people might be able to see the swirling green auroras of the Northern Lights from cities as far south as Rome, and---- > also correct construction is "so adj that..." ."such that" is also correct but not like this

E. rapidly that, within 50 years, the swirling green auroras of the Northern Lights might be visible by people in cities far to the south; such as Rome,

Kudos [?]: 294 [0], given: 61

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 12

GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.56
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: According to a recent study, Earth's magnetic north pole is moving awa [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2014, 23:56
A & B can be eliminated due to "that" issue as explained above …For C,D & E i think the easy way to eliminate D&E is to check the word "might" …. "may" is the correct word…
Earth's magnetic pole is shifting away from alaska so that the northern aurolis may be visible… not might be visible

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 12

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 3608 [1], given: 123

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2014, 11:44
This post received
KUDOS
Thoughtosphere wrote:
According to a recent study, Earth's magnetic north pole is moving away from Alaska and toward Siberia so rapidly, within 50 years, that the swirling green auroras of the Northern Lights might be visible in cities as far south as Rome, which is located at 41º north latitude.

A. rapidly, within 50 years, that the swirling green auroras of the Northern Lights might be visible in cities as far south as Rome, which is

B. rapidly, within 50 years, people may be able to see the swirling green auroras of the Northern Lights in cities as far south as Rome and

C. rapidly that, within 50 years, the swirling green auroras of the Northern Lights may be visible from cities as far south as Rome,

D. rapidly such that, within 50 years, people might be able to see the swirling green auroras of the Northern Lights from cities as far south as Rome, and

E. rapidly that, within 50 years, the swirling green auroras of the Northern Lights might be visible by people in cities far to the south; such as Rome,

Hello.

I bet "which" should not be underlined. If "which" is underlined, option C is weird because "..............as far south as Rome, is located......" is ungrammatical.

Please advise.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Kudos [?]: 3608 [1], given: 123

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 19

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2014, 10:05
pqhai wrote:
Thoughtosphere wrote:

B. rapidly, within 50 years, people may be able to see the swirling green auroras of the Northern Lights in cities as far south as Rome and

C. rapidly that, within 50 years, the swirling green auroras of the Northern Lights may be visible from cities as far south as Rome,

D. rapidly such that, within 50 years, people might be able to see the swirling green auroras of the Northern Lights from cities as far south as Rome, and

Hello.

I bet "which" should not be underlined. If "which" is underlined, option C is weird because "..............as far south as Rome, is located......" is ungrammatical.

Please advise.

precisely why i eliminated C. Please underline in cities as far south as Rome, which is

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 19

Board of Directors
G

Kudos [?]: 1149 [0], given: 327

GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2015, 11:34
kongaharsha wrote:
I also think option B is a run on sentence. But not fully convinced. Can anyone explain how to identify run on sentences here

This sentence tests the correct usage -

1. Idiom - So X that Y

2. May Vs Might

3. Use of Semi Colon ( ; )

Among the given options , options (C) and (E) uses the correct idiomatic usage So X that Y, however option (E) has the following issues

1. It uses the past tense of may ( might ) to describe a future event.
2. Uses a semi colon (;) and then the later part of the sentence can not stand as an independet part.

This I choose (C)

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Concentration: Strategy, Technology

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2015, 21:24
I need help to identify independent clauses. I am confused as to how to identify independent clause and dependent clause.

Can anyone help me with some rules?

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [1], given: 148

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2015, 01:11
This post received
KUDOS
kongaharsha wrote:
I need help to identify independent clauses. I am confused as to how to identify independent clause and dependent clause.

If each clause stand on its own and give meaning then we say as IC.

If you plugin Option B on the given statement

According to a recent study, Earth's magnetic north pole is moving away from Alaska and toward Siberia so rapidly, within 50 years, people may be able to see the swirling green auroras of the Northern Lights in cities as far south as Rome and is located at 41º north latitude.

Earth's magnetic north pole is moving away from Alaska and toward Siberia so rapidly - Independent statement.
people may be able to see the swirling green auroras of the Northern Lights in cities as far south as Rome - Independent statement.

If we want to connect two IC it should be followed by comma and FANBOYS or it should be followed by semicolon.

If two IC are there in a statement without the above stated rule we call them as RUNON statement.

Ram is a good student, he is studying in Cambridge --> Incorrect.
Ram is a good student, And he is studying in Cambridge --> Correct.
Ram is a good student; He is studying in Cambridge --> Correct.

Hope this helps.

Kudos [?]: 35 [1], given: 148

Board of Directors
G

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2015, 06:13
kongaharsha wrote:

Plz get all your concepts cleared here at GMATCLUB : unmasking-independent-clauses-and-dependent-clauses-160401.html#p1270475

PS : Well explained @sowragu , you really deserve a kuodo :-D ( Added one )..

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 14

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.3

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2015, 08:46
Abhishek009 wrote:
kongaharsha wrote:
I also think option B is a run on sentence. But not fully convinced. Can anyone explain how to identify run on sentences here

This sentence tests the correct usage -

1. Idiom - So X that Y

2. May Vs Might

3. Use of Semi Colon ( ; )

Among the given options , options (C) and (E) uses the correct idiomatic usage So X that Y, however option (E) has the following issues

1. It uses the past tense of may ( might ) to describe a future event.
2. Uses a semi colon (;) and then the later part of the sentence can not stand as an independet part.

This I choose (C)

I chose the option C because of the semicolon that doesn't creates a independent clause.
However I always have difficult to understand the key differences about using the MAY or MIGHT. Can you explain to me?

Thanks

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 14

1 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
G

Kudos [?]: 1149 [1], given: 327

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2015, 08:58
This post received
KUDOS
douglasvg wrote:
I chose the option C because of the semicolon that doesn't creates a independent clause.
However I always have difficult to understand the key differences about using the MAY or MIGHT. Can you explain to me?
Thanks

IMHO

might actually refers to the past tense of may and refers to a probability that existed in the past, but doesn't exist anymore

For further clarifications visit the following link : http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/words/may-or-might

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

Kudos [?]: 1149 [1], given: 327

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8970 [0], given: 113

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2017, 14:17
smanujahrc wrote:

A.rapidly, within 50 years, that the swirling green auroras of the Northern Lights might be visible in cities as far south as Rome, which is

B.rapidly, within 50 years, people may be able to see the swirling green auroras of the Northern Lights in cities as far south as Rome and

C.rapidly that, within 50 years, the swirling green auroras of the Northern Lights may be visible from cities as far south as Rome,

D.rapidly such that, within 50 years, people might be able to see the swirling green auroras of the Northern Lights from cities as far south as Rome, and

E.rapidly that, within 50 years, the swirling green auroras of the Northern Lights might be visible by people in cities far to the south; such as Rome,

Dear smanujahrc,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, it appears that you are relatively new to GMAT Club. Please do not post in a brand new thread any question that has already been posted before. Always search extensively before posting. If you find a pre-existent thread, that's the place to ask your question--in fact, you may find an answer to your question already written in that thread. I merged your post into a pre-existent thread about this MGMAT question. If nothing in this thread answers your question, this would be the appropriate place to ask your question.

Does all this make sense?

Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8970 [0], given: 113

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2017, 01:25
opt C from....to....
and why not option e ?

VP
VP
D

Kudos [?]: 285 [0], given: 6

GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: 339 Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2017, 01:55
mkumar26 wrote:
opt C from....to....
and why not option e ?
Firstly, keep in mind the underlining issue pointed out in an earlier post. Now, option E reads:

visible by people in cities far to the south; such as Rome, located at 41º north latitude

1. A to after visible would be appropriate (visible to people).
2. After the semicolon, we have such as Rome, located.... We would normally expect a clause (after a semicolon).

Ascore Prep | Bangalore

Kudos [?]: 285 [0], given: 6

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Affiliations: NA

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 58

GMAT 1: 590 Q50 V21
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 650 Q49 V30

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2017, 03:15
UmangMathur wrote:

'is' needs to be underlined otherwise Correct option C's construction will be wrong. ( Rome, is located at ....)

#If you like my post , please encourage me by giving Kudos :)

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 58

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3639 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2017, 08:56
There does not seem to be any open query posted in the recent past - closing the expert's response request.

Kudos [?]: 3639 [0], given: 22

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 18

WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2017, 10:00

The placement of that is inappropriate and because of which the 'within 50 years' makes no proper sense.

There has to be a connecting pronoun here 'that' is missing.

Correct answer.

usage of might is incorrect.

The usage of 'might' is incorrect because might is a past tense and may should have been used instead.

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 18

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2017, 22:54
abhishekdadarwal2009 wrote:

The placement of that is inappropriate and because of which the 'within 50 years' makes no proper sense.

There has to be a connecting pronoun here 'that' is missing.

Correct answer.

usage of might is incorrect.

The usage of 'might' is incorrect because might is a past tense and may should have been used instead.

Please clarify how Rome, located at 41... makes sense. Can we ignore the use of pronoun which here.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Senior SC Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 1365 [0], given: 440

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
According to a recent study, Earth's magnetic north pole is moving awa [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2017, 01:29
UmangMathur wrote:

(A) rapidly, within 50 years, that the swirling green auroras of the Northern Lights might be visible in cities as far south as Rome, which is

(B) rapidly, within 50 years, people may be able to see the swirling green auroras of the Northern Lights in cities as far south as Rome and

(C) rapidly that, within 50 years, the swirling green auroras of the Northern Lights may be visible from cities as far south as Rome,

(D) rapidly such that, within 50 years, people might be able to see the swirling green auroras of the Northern Lights from cities as far south as Rome, and

(E) rapidly that, within 50 years, the swirling green auroras of the Northern Lights might be visible by people in cities far to the south; such as Rome,

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

This sentence reports the striking findings of a research study: Earth's magnetic north pole is moving so fast that the Northern Lights may be visible from new locations within 50 years. The modifier within 50 years describes something that will happen in the future, so it cannot be referring to the fact that the north pole is (now) moving in a certain way. Rather, it must describe the study's conclusion that the Northern Lights will be visible from other locations in future.

(A) The modifier within 50 years illogically describes the present movement of Earth's magnetic north pole rather than the predicted future outcome.

(B) In this sentence, Earth’s ... rapidly and people ... latitude are both complete sentences, creating two problems. First, the overall construction is a run-on sentence, containing no conjunction to properly connect the two sentences. Second, the placement of within 50 years between the two clauses makes it unclear what that phrase is intended to describe. Finally, the use of and at the end of this choice makes the meaning redundant, since "as far south as Rome" and "at the same latitude as Rome" are identical concepts.

(C) CORRECT. In this sentence, within 50 years is properly used to describe what will happen in the future. As far south as Rome is idiomatically correct, and the final modifier correctly describes Rome.

(D) The combination of so and such is redundant and unidiomatic. The use of and at the end of this choice makes the meaning redundant, since "as far south as Rome" and "at the same latitude as Rome" are identical concepts.

(E) The construction visible by people is unidiomatic and should be phrased as visible to people. The part of this sentence following the semicolon is a modifier, not a complete sentence (independent clause), thus creating a sentence fragment.

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Kudos [?]: 1365 [0], given: 440

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 77

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2017, 06:25
Hi.
Can Anyone explain the concept behind removing "which " in C. In A "which" is obviously modifying Rome, But I am not sure how "Located 41 degrees" is modifying Rome.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 77

Re: According to a recent study, Earth's magnetic north pole is moving awa   [#permalink] 29 Oct 2017, 06:25

According to a recent study, Earth's magnetic north pole is moving awa

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap