Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:22 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [13]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [1]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1215 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Status:<strong>Go crazy and use every bit of potential.</strong>
Affiliations: Many NGOs!
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Entrepreneurship
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: religious belief [#permalink]
What HE refers to in option B? We can't mix different pronouns - ONE and HE.

I think HE is trying to refer to Soren Kierkegaard but isn't HE too far away to refer to Soren Kierkegaard?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: According to Soren Kierkegaard, the reason to hold [#permalink]
This doesn't seem like a very good question. I don't know how is B the correct answer when the actual statement says that "the reason...is..." and the option B says "one SHOULD...."
Where did the compulsion to hold a religious belief come from? According to the question, they're just analyzing a possible reason why people believe in religion.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7777 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply
rekhabishop, to begin with, remember that the task on SC is to find an answer that works. B has as much claim as any other answer to be the "actual" or correct one, so we can't ask where a concept in one answer came from unless it makes no sense on its own or clearly contradicts the intended meaning we glean from looking at all five choices. In any case, A isn't talking about why people are religious, either. "The reason to hold religious beliefs" means "the reason that one should hold religious beliefs."
Send PM
Expert Reply
willigetmylifeback, there is no limit on how far the pronoun can be from the noun as long as the meaning is clear. "One" is a stand-in for any person, whereas "he" can only refer to Kierkegaard, so there's no trouble.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 4
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
rekhabishop, to begin with, remember that the task on SC is to find an answer that works. B has as much claim as any other answer to be the "actual" or correct one, so we can't ask where a concept in one answer came from unless it makes no sense on its own or clearly contradicts the intended meaning we glean from looking at all five choices. In any case, A isn't talking about why people are religious, either. "The reason to hold religious beliefs" means "the reason that one should hold religious beliefs."

Makes sense. But, I attempted a question, yesterday, where a more (grammatically) viable answer was striked out, simply because it used stronger words, just as this option with "should" does.
Send PM
Expert Reply
We can't ever get rid of an answer for using strong language. There has to be a clear issue of grammar or meaning. Do you have a link to the question &/or explanation?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
DmitryFarber
do you think this is a gmat question? I cannot find any source for this question, so I highly doubt that the question is a good one to practice.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
I stuck between B and D but selected B eventually because i found "the definite knowledge of certainty" in D is kind of redundancy. someóne please elaborate !!

B. one should hold religious beliefs not because their truth is immediately evident, but because, in the absence of certainty, one must make what he called a 'leap of faith'

D. one's religious belief is necessary not because the truth is immediately evident, but because in the absence of the definite knowledge of certainty, one must make what he called a 'leap of faith'
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts