Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:26 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
GPA: 3.97
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [1]
Given Kudos: 130
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Re: Additive phrases and usage of Comma [#permalink]
Expert Reply
sa2222 wrote:
Thank you Mike for pointing that out. I do need to straighten out my concepts of using articles correctly and I have that in my list. It takes first priority after your comment today :)

Ok, I do get the concept of non vital modifier and thus the usage of comma - as explained by you. But as you mentioned "most of the time", could you please provide me with one example using modifier "including" or any other additive phrase where we are using additive phrase as vital modifier.

Non vital usage below -
Spices, including salt and pepper, are added to the dish.

Also "The secretary, as well as the mayor is joining the party."
I think the above is incorrect because secretary is the subject here and no comma after mayor is suggesting that "clause is referring to the mayor rather than the secretary. Right?

Dear sa2222,
No example leaps to mind of an additive phrase that would act as a vital noun modifier. I am not sure whether it is possible, given the very nature of an additive phrase. Perhaps it should be "all the time", not "most of the time," but I am not 100% sure on that. If there is an exception, its rare and bizarre. For GMAT SC purposes, I think we can say --- additive phrases are always non-vital, and therefore are always set off by commas.

And yes, if a phrase needs to be set off in commas, and we omit the second comma, that's a big problem.
Mike :-)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
sa2222 wrote:
Thank you Mike for pointing that out. I do need to straighten out my concepts of using articles correctly and I have that in my list. It takes first priority after your comment today :)

Ok, I do get the concept of non vital modifier and thus the usage of comma - as explained by you. But as you mentioned "most of the time", could you please provide me with one example using modifier "including" or any other additive phrase where we are using additive phrase as vital modifier.

Non vital usage below -
Spices, including salt and pepper, are added to the dish.

Also "The secretary, as well as the mayor is joining the party."
I think the above is incorrect because secretary is the subject here and no comma after mayor is suggesting that "clause is referring to the mayor rather than the secretary. Right?

Dear sa2222,
No example leaps to mind of an additive phrase that would act as a vital noun modifier. I am not sure whether it is possible, given the very nature of an additive phrase. Perhaps it should be "all the time", not "most of the time," but I am not 100% sure on that. If there is an exception, its rare and bizarre. For GMAT SC purposes, I think we can say --- additive phrases are always non-vital, and therefore are always set off by commas.

And yes, if a phrase needs to be set off in commas, and we omit the second comma, that's a big problem.
Mike :-)

OK, thank you Mike. I truly appreciate your time.

Thank you so much!!
GMAT Club Bot