Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:17 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Management
Schools:Harvard, Penn, Maryland
 Q45  V41 GMAT 2: 760  Q48  V47
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 232 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Concentration: Management
Schools:Harvard, Penn, Maryland
 Q45  V41 GMAT 2: 760  Q48  V47
Send PM
Re: advice [#permalink]
yeah i'd really hate to take it again and drop points. I should be within the 5 years when I apply, was hoping to go within 1-2 years after I graduate, hopefully anyway.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
GMAT 2: 710
Send PM
700 is good enough for the top 10 school, especially since you already have a high GPA. Your work experience and essay will play a big role in your application. Good luck for the future.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
cul3s wrote:
If i were you..I'd 'settle' for 700.
I think 700 represents a number good enough that you can handle the heavy 1st year coursework in any top schools.
Imagine the pressure you'd put yourself knowing you need to beat 700 again for all your 2nd go round prep, gmat $, and time to be worth something.

I know there's another side where they always say it never hurts to take it again because if you're going to finance/MC firms your Gmat will be asked again by recruiters.. and schools always say that they will only look at the higher score.

Sometimes I'm not too convinced with this, because adcoms are humans and if they see that you went from 700 to 650 (So they will wonder which score is the fluke score)... hmmm.. I think they rather see 1 score with 700... or 650 to 700.

This is just my opinion though. I don't know if they really think of it this way..or it matters as much as it is.

This is the worst advice I have ever seen. 'Settle' for 700? Be happy with how much you have accomplished? That is complete crap. Take it again in a year and shoot for 750. You are only a junior in college! You have PLENTY of time before you start applications in 4-5 years!! Don't ever settle if you think you can do better. Plus, you may have to take it again if you wait till 4 years out in the workforce. By then your score won't be good anymore.

So in summary, take it again and shoot for 750. You can do it if you put forth some effort. And also, NEVER SETTLE!!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
Send PM
jb32 wrote:
cul3s wrote:
If i were you..I'd 'settle' for 700.
I think 700 represents a number good enough that you can handle the heavy 1st year coursework in any top schools.
Imagine the pressure you'd put yourself knowing you need to beat 700 again for all your 2nd go round prep, gmat $, and time to be worth something.

I know there's another side where they always say it never hurts to take it again because if you're going to finance/MC firms your Gmat will be asked again by recruiters.. and schools always say that they will only look at the higher score.

Sometimes I'm not too convinced with this, because adcoms are humans and if they see that you went from 700 to 650 (So they will wonder which score is the fluke score)... hmmm.. I think they rather see 1 score with 700... or 650 to 700.

This is just my opinion though. I don't know if they really think of it this way..or it matters as much as it is.

This is the worst advice I have ever seen. 'Settle' for 700? Be happy with how much you have accomplished? That is complete crap. Take it again in a year and shoot for 750. You are only a junior in college! You have PLENTY of time before you start applications in 4-5 years!! Don't ever settle if you think you can do better. Plus, you may have to take it again if you wait till 4 years out in the workforce. By then your score won't be good anymore.

So in summary, take it again and shoot for 750. You can do it if you put forth some effort. And also, NEVER SETTLE!!

I agree with JB. If you were somebody who had limited time to start building upon qualifications for B-School admission, then you might go forward with your 700. But, since you still have at least 4 years before applying, I would suggest taking the GMAT again. Admissions to the top 10 schools are incredibly competitive, and you will find plenty of applicants with high GPA AND high GMAT scores getting turned away. Move up to the top 5, and it gets even more competitive. A 750+ GMAT will only make things easier for you.

Spend the next few years strategically picking work experience that will give you a nice avenue to your long-term goal, build leadership through extracurricular activities, and make yourself a candidate who will obviously make the school proud while standing out from other applicants.
GMAT Club Bot