Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:59 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 150 [1]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 374 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Re: Requesting advice for a stressed test taker [#permalink]
While memorizing the formulas for Quant may not be of much help, understanding the formula derivation basics will assist in solving the DS questions.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [1]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Ari777.

Your score on the Manhattan test is likely lower than you'd score on the real GMAT. Those tests are known to produce lower-than-normal scores. So, the 660 and 680 you scored on your recent official tests likely more accurately indicate where you stand at this point.

To get to your 730+ score goal, you can work on quant in two ways.

One way is to continue to strengthen weaker areas. To strengthen a weaker area, review the relevant concepts and strategies, do practice questions in that area UNTIMED until you're achieving high accuracy, and then work on answering questions in that area faster until you're answering them at test pace while maintaining high accuracy.

The other way is to reduce the number of careless errors you make and improve overall accuracy. For a detailed discussion of how to do that, see this post.

Improving Your Accuracy on the GMAT
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Suraj0184 wrote:
While memorizing the formulas for Quant may not be of much help, understanding the formula derivation basics will assist in solving the DS questions.

Thank you, I definitely think I need that do you recommend any Data sufficiency formula breakdown sources?

Posted from my mobile device
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 485 [1]
Given Kudos: 839
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
Hey Ari777,
I can understand what you are going through, I agree with what all the experts are saying above.
You can check The Ultimate Quant Megathread out: https://gmatclub.com/forum/ultimate-gma ... 44512.html for any formula related info.
When it comes to making silly errors, I would recommend that you take a minute and try to understand why the errors are happening? If it was because of time crunch, then efficiently managing your time makes sense, but if the mistakes were happening because you were losing focus than that's a problem.
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [1]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Ari777

Official mocks are the most reliable ones as they are believed to be the closest to the actual GMAT. Hence, they are considered to be the best indicators of your performance.

Don't feel demotivated. You have come a long way and you know it all. You should consider to spend more time on analyzing the solutions of the questions from the topics in which you are weak. By analyzing I mean, go through each step of the solution, identify the exact step at which you made the mistake, compare your approach with the right one and then learn the right approach.

Coming to time management, taking extra time to solve questions is a symptom and not the disease itself. Let me elaborate.

There are 2 things that you do while solving questions - 1. You think about how to solve the question and 2. You solve the question. It's the first point that eats up unnecessary time. Now how do you tackle Point 1. Most people think the best solution is by solving additional questions. It does help but sadly is not the most effective solution because by just practising more questions you end repeating the same mistakes. The better solution is to learn the right logical methods to solve questions and then master these methods with additional practice.

This should help. All the best!

Feel free to reach out in case you need any help with your prep. Would be happy to help!
GMAT Club Bot