It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 21:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Advise Needed with 5 plus years of experience

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Advise Needed with 5 plus years of experience [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2017, 00:26
Hi,

I am in the cross roads of deciding a date to take my GMAT exam. Though a few icky factors are keeping me at bay and helping me to procastrinate the date of exam (to put it on a lighter tone). Let me briefly outline my profile so that it helps you in advising me better. I am a BTech : NIT / MTech : IIT with high CGPA’s in both the colleges. In college I was part of a lot of extra curricular activities starting from debate/quizzing with many accolades. I have done 2 internships in US Companies and have glowing recommendation letters from them. I joined the manufacturing sector (in a reputable company) as a techno management consultant and has been working closely for the last 5 years in taking up challenges and working on projects. Have elaborate experience in Statistical Data analysis and TQM Principles. It was a long time dream to have a MBA degree in my basket. After days of researching I have decided on choosing a career in consulting after my MBA. However I am stuck on the following issues

1. I will have to get a scholarship to do my MBA in USA/Abroad. It is not possible of me to take any Loan or self fund my MBA. With the above background how suited am I to land into an scholarship (of course assuming a decent GMAT Score)
2. I am a married person and will like to take my wife (who is dependent on me) with me when I go for higher studies. Is it possible to sustain my wife on the scholarship amount (assuming I get a free ride and a good amount of scholarship)
3. In which there is a greater chance of getting a scholarship : EMBA or Regular MBA

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Admissionado
G

Kudos [?]: 1001 [0], given: 49

Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Re: Advise Needed with 5 plus years of experience [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2017, 18:33
nayaks wrote:
Hi,

I am in the cross roads of deciding a date to take my GMAT exam. Though a few icky factors are keeping me at bay and helping me to procastrinate the date of exam (to put it on a lighter tone). Let me briefly outline my profile so that it helps you in advising me better. I am a BTech : NIT / MTech : IIT with high CGPA’s in both the colleges. In college I was part of a lot of extra curricular activities starting from debate/quizzing with many accolades. I have done 2 internships in US Companies and have glowing recommendation letters from them. I joined the manufacturing sector (in a reputable company) as a techno management consultant and has been working closely for the last 5 years in taking up challenges and working on projects. Have elaborate experience in Statistical Data analysis and TQM Principles. It was a long time dream to have a MBA degree in my basket. After days of researching I have decided on choosing a career in consulting after my MBA. However I am stuck on the following issues

1. I will have to get a scholarship to do my MBA in USA/Abroad. It is not possible of me to take any Loan or self fund my MBA. With the above background how suited am I to land into an scholarship (of course assuming a decent GMAT Score)
2. I am a married person and will like to take my wife (who is dependent on me) with me when I go for higher studies. Is it possible to sustain my wife on the scholarship amount (assuming I get a free ride and a good amount of scholarship)
3. In which there is a greater chance of getting a scholarship : EMBA or Regular MBA

1. The way it works with scholarships is that schools that will offer you scholarships will likely be lower ranked than schools that you can get into (after all that is the whole point o the scholarship, to entice you to get into the school). For example, let's say your profile was good enough to get you into Duke. But you can't afford to got here, then maybe a school like McCombs might offer you a scholarship. But at the same time it is harder to bank on scholarships. You might get them. You might not. What I would suggest rather is to look into programs that 1. have cheaper tuition 2. are located in places where the costs of living are lower)

2. That's more of a budgetary issue which you need to work out for yourself.

3. Regular MBA. In EMBAs more than half of the class will be sponsored. And anyways with 5 years experience, a regular MBA is more appropriate for you.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Best,

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | Packages | Success Stories | Team

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Kudos [?]: 1001 [0], given: 49

Advise Needed with 5 plus years of experience

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: JonAdmissionado

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap