Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:27 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 94 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [2]
Given Kudos: 130
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 94 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Send PM
Re: After receiving a 25% discount, Sue paid $180 for a lawnmowe [#permalink]
mikemcgarry wrote:
TheLostOne wrote:
Hello!

I was working on

After receiving a 25% discount, Sue paid $180 for a lawnmower. What is the original price of the lawnmower before the discount?

And I was certain I had it. I figured if I multiplied $180 x 1.25 it would bring me back to the original price. How is that fundamentally different than .75x = 180 and then dividing 180 by .75?

Thanks!

Dear TheLostOne,
My friend, you have stumbled into one of the most fundamental math mistakes on the entire GMAT. This is a very common mistake, and therefore an extremely common trap, so it's crucial to understand this.

Suppose one number A is decreased to B. Whatever the percent decrease from A to B was, it will NEVER be the same numerical percent value as the percent increase from B back to A. Increase and decrease between the same two values NEVER are the same numerical value of the percent.

Think about it. Suppose price decreases from $100 to $75 --- obviously, that's a 25% decrease. Now, suppose we increase from $75 to $100. More than half the people who take the GMAT will fall into the trap of thinking that this is a 25% increase, and it is not. For that increase, we start with $75, and the increase amount, $25, is 1/3 of the starting value, so this is a 33 1/3% increase. That's the correct value, which most people will miss. The GMAT loves traps like this, because it can write the question, set up the trap, and scores of test takers will just run into it, as if they are running into a big butterfly net. What's more, most of the people who make this mistake are absolutely sure that they are doing the right thing! It's one of the easiest ways for the GMAT to write a question that separates the folks who understand from those who don't. If you understand this one fact, it will pay off huge dividends when you avoid these traps. See more here:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/understand ... -the-gmat/

In this problem, we had some initial price X, which was decreased by 25%. Think about what that means: 1/4 of the price was removed, and 3/4 of the price remains. The part that remains, the 3/4 of the original price, is $180. Well, divide that by 3 --- $60 is the 1/4 part, the part that was removed in the decrease. Therefore, the initial price is $240. That's what you would get if you divided $180 by 0.75, but doing that division is a cumbersome way to think about it. It makes much more sense to think in terms of simple fractions.

You made the classic mistake of assume that, since from X to $180 was a 25% decrease, then $180 to X must be a 25% increase. Again, this is the big butterfly net that the GMAT simply sets up, and hordes of unsuspecting test takers run directly into this mistake, completely confident that they are doing something correct. You ran into this mistake in your thinking. I can't emphasize enough --- if you are able to understand and recognize this mistake, then you won't be caught be a trap that catches a huge number of test takers, and that alone will help to set you apart.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Beautiful post.

Ironically I am pretty good at these normally! At least the idea of consecutive percent changes, and yet I fell for this trap. Something to keep an eye out for.

Thanks again.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
The 1.25 is "Itself" and "0.25" or 180 times itself and another 25%
OR
180*1.25

Yes that is true BUT........

$100 increase 20% 100*1.2=120
Now decrease by 20% or you pay 0.8 120*0.8=96

You can see this with the 'itself' method
120*1.2=144 144-120=24 So 20% of the new number is 24 not 20 as before cause the new number is bigger.
120-24=96

So keep in mind that increasing by 25% then decreasing by 25% does not bring you back. 25% of the bigger number is bigger, than 25% of the smaller number.
GMAT Club Bot