GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jun 2018, 20:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

After suffering $2 billion in losses and 25,000 layoffs, the nation’s

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

5 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
After suffering $2 billion in losses and 25,000 layoffs, the nation’s [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 06 May 2018, 05:49
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

78% (00:59) correct 22% (00:57) wrong based on 1974 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

After suffering $2 billion in losses and 25,000 layoffs, the nation’s semiconductor industry, which makes chips that run everything from [computers and spy satellites to dishwashers, appears to have made a long-awaited recovery.

(A) computers and spy satellites to dishwashers, appears to have

(B) computers, spy satellites, and dishwashers, appears having

(C) computers, spy satellites, and dishwashers, appears that it has

(D) computers and spy satellites to dishwashers, appears that it has

(E) computers and spy satellites as well as dishwashers, appears to have

what is the correct answer for this ,its given (D) ,whether it should be appears to has or appears to have

Originally posted by sacmanitin on 19 Aug 2009, 00:15.
Last edited by hazelnut on 06 May 2018, 05:49, edited 3 times in total.
Hided spoiler
4 KUDOS received
Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Re: After suffering $2 billion in losses and 25,000 layoffs, the nation’s [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2009, 00:27
to has is incorrect.
to have is correct.

"have" is used as the infinitive form and not "has"

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Re: After suffering $2 billion in losses and 25,000 layoffs, the nation’s [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2010, 00:27
am confused here, what is wrong with D, I think D grammatically is right. "Appear that" is an idiom too, none of you provided an explanation why it is wrong.
??????? I think am missing something here

Nanquam Fractum

5 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2010, 13:40
elevinty wrote:
am confused here, what is wrong with D, I think D grammatically is right. "Appear that" is an idiom too, none of you provided an explanation why it is wrong.

"appears that" is normally used after "it".
For example: It appears that he has done well in the exam.

It is awkward to say: He appears that he has done well in the exam.
"He appears to have done well in the exam" sounds better.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Software Design and Development

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2010, 13:13
sacmanitin wrote:
65. After suffering $2 billion in losses and 25,000 layoffs, the nation’s semiconductor industry, which makes chips that run everything from computers and spy satellites to dishwashers, appears to have made a long-awaited recovery.
(D) computers and spy satellites to dishwashers, appears that it has(A)

A is the right option.

My Analysis is as follows,

Omitting "which makes chips that run everything from computers and spy satellites to dishwashers" as it is optional in the sentence, we see a 3:1:1 split in the choices. "appears to have" is gramatically correct.Hence A and E remains. Comparing the two choices, A is clearly the better choice .

Argument : If you love long trips, you love the GMAT.
Conclusion : GMAT is long journey.

What does the author assume ?
Assumption : A long journey is a long trip.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 04 Jan 2013, 02:18
sacmanitin wrote:
65. After suffering $2 billion in losses and 25,000 layoffs, the nation’s semiconductor industry, which makes chips that run everything from computers and spy satellites to dishwashers, appears to have made a long-awaited recovery.

what is the correct answer for this ,its given (A) ,whether it should be appears to has or appears to have

Correct Answer: A

First, Sentence uses ...from....to.. construction, Answer should have a word to also.. Eliminate B, C , E.

Second, Divide the sentence and find out the subject, it will help to check the verb agreement.
After suffering $2 billion in losses and 25,000 layoffs, the nation’s semiconductor industry, which makes chips that run everything from computers and spy satellites to dishwashers, appears to have made a long-awaited recovery.

Here, Subject is semiconductor industry, i.e. singular, Verb will be appears not appear. can't eliminate any more option choice.

Now, verb 'appear' should be follow by 'to' for correct sentence construction. Between A & E, A have correct usage as 'appears to have'
Correct Answer A

-------------------------
Consider kudos for the good post ... :lol:

Originally posted by umeshpatil on 04 Jan 2013, 01:38.
Last edited by umeshpatil on 04 Jan 2013, 02:18, edited 1 time in total.
7 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2013, 02:15
Good Question !

'appear' is one of the verbs that is usually used with to be as infinitive.

Other examples,
They appear to have run away from home. They cannot be traced.
I seem to have lost my way. Can you help me?
It seems to be some kind of jellyfish. Do not go near it.
They appear not to be at home. Nobody's answering.
They do not appear to be at home. No one's answering.

Few other verbs that are used similarly.
seem, look, turn, become, appear, sound, smell, taste, feel and get

Reference:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learn ... v353.shtml

---------------------
Consider kudos for the good post ... :lol:
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB '15

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2014, 23:54
Sorry people, cant understand why D is incorrect. Please help. Below is my reasoning.

the nation’s semiconductor industry (this is singular) has/have made a long-awaited recovery.-- I would go with 'has' here, please let me know this is incorrect.

Veritas Prep - 650
MGMAT 1 590
MGMAT 2 640 (V48/Q31)

Please help the community by giving Kudos.

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
GPA: 3.21
WE: Business Development (Other)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2014, 00:30
seabhi wrote:
Sorry people, cant understand why D is incorrect. Please help. Below is my reasoning.

the nation’s semiconductor industry (this is singular) has/have made a long-awaited recovery.-- I would go with 'has' here, please let me know this is incorrect.

Notice that in Sentence A the main verb is appears which is singular and goes with subject nation's semiconductor industry.

in option D "that it has" actually makes the sentence redundant and long.
the nation’s semiconductor industry, which makes chips that run everything from computers and spy satellites to dishwashers,appears that it has made a long-awaited recovery

"The semiconductor industry appears that it has made -------> The construction doesn't make sense"

A does a much better job here

More explanation is here :http://gmatclub.com/forum/after-suffering-2-billion-in-losses-and-25-000-layoffs-the-82694.html#p1164316

after-suffering-2-billion-in-losses-and-25-000-layoffs-the-82694.html#p619796

after-suffering-2-billion-in-losses-and-25-000-layoffs-the-24319.html?fl=similar

“If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.”

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2014, 02:58
Thank you every body for your responses. I can not understand why D is wrong.

My approach to the question:

1. Eliminate B,C and E- The correct idiom should be "from A and B to C". With this step we only have two possible answers A or D.

2. Semiconductor Industry is a singular subject, so we should use appears (A and D use appears). but I do not know why we should use have and not has. For me the correct form should be has. I am confused.

In the verbal review 2nd edition the explanation says: The main verb appears is intansitive and is most efficiently followed by the infinitive form TO HAVE.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2014, 23:53
pablluca wrote:
Thank you every body for your responses. I can not understand why D is wrong.

My approach to the question:

1. Eliminate B,C and E- The correct idiom should be "from A and B to C". With this step we only have two possible answers A or D.

2. Semiconductor Industry is a singular subject, so we should use appears (A and D use appears). but I do not know why we should use have and not has. For me the correct form should be has. I am confused.

In the verbal review 2nd edition the explanation says: The main verb appears is intansitive and is most efficiently followed by the infinitive form TO HAVE.

As shirvats rightly pointed out in the mail above, the only instance that comes to my mind, when appears that would be correct is in: It appears that... construct, where it is used as a placeholder.

to have made in option A is a perfect infinitive. The perfect infinitive has an interesting usage, in that it always indicates that its action happened before the action of the main verb of the clause. A question that comes to mind is # 76 in OG-13 (Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence...); you might want to look into it.

p.s. Perfect infinitive has been discussed in detail in our book. If you can PM me your mail id, I can send the corresponding section to you.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2014, 02:44
in the pattern

appear to have done

have done show an action which happen before "appear" or which finished before "appear". pls, explain

I want to know of the relation between these two verbs

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2014, 21:02
vietmoi999 wrote:
in the pattern

appear to have done

have done show an action which happen before "appear" or which finished before "appear". pls, explain

You are right; this is exactly what it depicts. In appear to have done, the act of doing finished before appears.

So, here, appears is simple present tense, and so, the perfect infinitive acts as present perfect (the act of doing finished at some unspecified time before now).

If the phrase was appeared to have, then perfect infinitive would act as past perfect.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2015, 19:45
In SC ,look out for logical errors too ,
In this example :
After suffering $2 billion in losses and 25,000 layoffs, the nation’s semiconductor industry, which makes chips that run everything from computers and spy satellites to dishwashers, appears to have made a long-awaited recovery.

In the the highlighted part computers and spy satellites to dishwashers is a modifier .Read the sentence after removing it and option [A] and [E] will stand out .
Now look at the meaning conveyed by the modifier : computers and spy satellites to dishwashers The semiconductor industry makes everything including computers ,spy satellites to dishwaters.[E] distorts this message by saying computers and spy satellites as well as dishwashers

A is the answer .

Regards,
Manish Khare

Press Kudos if you like the solution.

Regards,
Manish Khare
"Every thing is fine at the end. If it is not fine ,then it is not the end "

Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2017, 09:58
(A) computers and spy satellites to dishwashers, appears to have - Correct
(B) computers, spy satellites, and dishwashers, appears having - From X to Y is correct idiom ; appears having is incorrect, appears is followed by to verb form
(C) computers, spy satellites, and dishwashers, appears that it has - From X to Y is correct idiom ; appears that is incorrect
(D) computers and spy satellites to dishwashers, appears that it has - appears that is incorrect
(E) computers and spy satellites as well as dishwashers, appears to have - From X to Y is correct idiom

Answer A

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2017, 09:57

Issue: Idiom | Construction

Analysis:
1. Since the non-underlined part of the sentence specified "everything from...", we need "to" to complete the phrase "from X to Y".
2. Core of the sentence: "...industry(, which....,) appears to have made a recovery". "appears having..." and "appears that it has..." have the wrong verb form.

- Unidiomatic; Uses "and" instead of a "to"
- Incorrect verb form: "having"

- Unidiomatic; Uses "and" instead of a "to"
- Incorrect construction: "that it has"

(D) computers and spy satellites to dishwashers, appears that it has
- Incorrect construction: "that it has"

- Unidiomatic; Uses "as well as" instead of a "to"

Answer: (A)
DS Forum Moderator
P
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.64
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2018, 02:40
VeritasPrepKarishma, GMATNinja ,

Please clarify Why D is wrong. Is "appears that it has" wrong?

hao922 wrote:
elevinty wrote:

SC: Confusable words
All you need for Quant, GMAT PS Question Directory,GMAT DS Question Directory
Error log/Key Concepts
Combination Concept: Division into groups
Question of the Day (QOTD)
Free GMAT CATS

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2018, 07:57
gmatbusters wrote:

hao922 wrote:
elevinty wrote:

Remove the modifiers and look at the structure of the sentence.

... the semiconductor industry ... appears that ...
is unidiomatic.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2018, 06:30
Quote:
Quote:

is unidiomatic.[/quote]

I am afraid I haven't gotten the point.
Would you please explain further ?

Thanks in advance
Have a lovely day

>_~
Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2018, 09:57
zoezhuyan wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:

is unidiomatic.

I am afraid I haven't gotten the point.
Would you please explain further ?

Thanks in advance
Have a lovely day

>_~

zoezhuyan, I think VeritasPrepKarishma is isolating the main clause in the sentence(s), and pointing out that the idiom is incorrect in (C) and (D). If you temporarily remove the modifiers and focus on that main clause, here's what we have:

• In (A) and (E): "...the nation’s semiconductor industry... appears to have made a long-awaited recovery."
  • In (C) and (D): "...the nation’s semiconductor industry... appears that it has made a long-awaited recovery."

"Appears to have made" is correct, and more succinct and direct than saying "appears that it has made." If it helps you see why that last phrase is wrong, replace "it" with its referent, and it becomes a mess: "...the nation’s semiconductor industry... appears that the nation's semiconductor industry has made a long-awaited recovery." Nonsense, right?

I hope this helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Re: After suffering $2 billion in losses and 25,000 layoffs, the nation’s   [#permalink] 31 May 2018, 09:57

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 22 posts ] 

After suffering $2 billion in losses and 25,000 layoffs, the nation’s

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap