It is currently 24 Sep 2017, 05:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

After the contractual dispute between the organizations had

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 21 [4], given: 3

After the contractual dispute between the organizations had [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2013, 09:46
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

44% (01:11) correct 56% (01:13) wrong based on 670 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

After the contractual dispute between the organizations had been resolved, the junior manager who proposed that they turn to professional mediation and saved her organization millions of dollars was promoted and received a bonus.

A. they turn to professional mediation and saved

B. they turned to professional mediation and saved

C. they turn to professional mediation and save

D. the organizations turn to professional mediation and save

E. the organizations turned to professional mediation and saved

Please give your though on this one...
(this one is from economist test series)
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 21 [4], given: 3

Economist GMAT Tutor Discount Codese-GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 48 [4], given: 27

Re: After the contractual dispute between the organizations had [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2013, 10:39
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
After the contractual dispute between the organizations had been resolved, the junior manager who proposed that they turn to professional mediation and saved her organization millions of dollars was promoted and received a bonus.

A. they turn to professional mediation and saved-correct

"the junior who proposed" is in subjunctive form, we need to use "turn".

Please give me kudos :)

Kudos [?]: 48 [4], given: 27

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 200

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2013, 23:58
This post was
BOOKMARKED
After the contractual dispute between the organizations had been resolved, the junior manager who proposed that they turn to professional mediation and saved her organization millions of dollars was promoted and received a bonus...

The sentence uses a subjunctive mood here and the command subjunctive verb which comes after the BOSSY VERB " PROPOSED " should be in the simplest form ..Thus "the junior manager who proposed that they turn to " is absolutely correct here.

Now the junior manager here is doing two actions , the junior manager who proposed that they turn to professional mediation and saved her organization ...Thus the original sentence is very much taking care of the parallelism issue here using "proposed" and "saved". Any other construction as in C and D mars the parallelism of the sentence.

Now some one may point out ambiguity between usage of "they" or "organizations" ...As per my knowledge both of them are correct ...As the only plural subject which is coming before "they " is "organizations" , pronoun "they " very much refers to "organizations" .

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 200

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 63 [1], given: 57

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2015, 15:32
This post received
KUDOS
abhijeetjha wrote:
After the contractual dispute between the organizations had been resolved, the junior manager who proposed that they turn to professional mediation and saved her organization millions of dollars was promoted and received a bonus...

The sentence uses a subjunctive mood here and the command subjunctive verb which comes after the BOSSY VERB " PROPOSED " should be in the simplest form ..Thus "the junior manager who proposed that they turn to " is absolutely correct here.

Now the junior manager here is doing two actions , the junior manager who proposed that they turn to professional mediation and saved her organization ...Thus the original sentence is very much taking care of the parallelism issue here using "proposed" and "saved". Any other construction as in C and D mars the parallelism of the sentence.

Now some one may point out ambiguity between usage of "they" or "organizations" ...As per my knowledge both of them are correct ...As the only plural subject which is coming before "they " is "organizations" , pronoun "they " very much refers to "organizations" .

Choice A.
The verb turn follows proposed that, to which the Subjunctive rule applies, and therefore should be in the base form. The verb saved, however, relates to an action made by the junior manager rather than what she proposed and is therefore not affected by the Subjunctive rule.

Kudos [?]: 63 [1], given: 57

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 113

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2015, 20:54
i picked the correct answer, but was very unsatisfied with this question. I am not sure to whom THEY referring to.

shashankkela wrote:

Kudos to you, for helping me with some KUDOS.

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 113

Manager
Manager
Status: I am not a product of my circumstances. I am a product of my decisions

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 68

Concentration: Operations, General Management
GPA: 3.92
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2015, 00:02
shriramvelamuri wrote:
i picked the correct answer, but was very unsatisfied with this question. I am not sure to whom THEY referring to.

shashankkela wrote:

They is referring to "Organizations" - The non underlined part clearly mentions that there are two Organizations (the contractual dispute between the organizations). Obviously "They" cannot refer to Singular Junior Manager. Whereas the "Her" in the later part of the sentence clearly refers to Junior manager. There is no ambiguity with the pronoun reference.

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 68

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1719 [0], given: 302

Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2015, 11:42

The verb turn follows proposed that, to which the Subjunctive rule applies, and therefore should be in the base form. The verb saved, however, relates to an action made by the junior manager rather than what she proposed and is therefore not affected by the Subjunctive rule.

This answer choice is grammatically incorrect. Propose is one of the nine verbs to which the Subjunctive rule applies (if it is followed by that). This means that the next verb after proposed that should be in base form. However, turned is not in base form.

What helps us identify this question as a Subjunctive question as well as identify the mistake is the following Stop Sign:

propose/recommend/require/request/insist/suggest/mandate/ask/demand that

Whenever you come across this Stop Sign, make sure that the following verb is in its base form.

This answer choice changes the meaning of the original sentence. Changing the verb saved to save turns it from an action made by the junior manager (not Subjunctive), to an action she suggested the organizations take (Subjunctive), i.e., the organizations should turn and save.

This answer choice is stylistically flawed - redundant. The pronoun they is a more concise way of referring to the organizations. Since there are no other plural nouns except the organizations to which they may refer, it is not ambiguous. This answer choice also changes the meaning of the original sentence. Changing the verb saved to save turns it from an action made by the junior manager (not Subjunctive), to an action she suggested the organizations take (Subjunctive), i.e., the organizations should turn and save.

It is better to use "they" to refer to organizations. Further we need the subjunctive style here, so turned is wrong and needs to be in the base form "turn".

Saving was yesterday, heat up the gmatclub.forum's sentiment by spending KUDOS!

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.

Kudos [?]: 1719 [0], given: 302

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 35

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2015, 08:44
After the contractual dispute between the organizations had been resolved, the junior manager who proposed that they turn to professional mediation and saved her organization millions of dollars was promoted and received a bonus

They refers to organizations (only plural)
proposed to turn to (correct) : Proposed is the main verb here
saved her organization millions of dollars : Same tense as proposed

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 35

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 256 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2017, 08:10
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 256 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 61

WE: Engineering (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2017, 00:45
since it is subjunctive : turn will come
so options A C and D are in
now careful inspection of C and D tells that they are same: so cant be the answer in GMAT : since in C there is pronoun they, which is replaced by organisations in D, so both out
A is remaining,

FASTEST ELIMINATION of C and D

Give Kudos for correct answer and/or if you like the solution.

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 61

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 157

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE: Information Technology (Other)

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2017, 04:02
shashankkela wrote:

We have to mind 2 things.

1. propose is a "bossy word" - so it comes with infinitive without "to".
Ex: She ignored the doctor's recommendation that she stop (stops) smoking.
The list of such verbs and nouns: ask, prefer, demand, recommend, recommendation, insist, require, reqirement, suggest, suggestion, urge, request, mandate, order, propose,
Also: it is essential/imperative/important, necessary that

So B and E are out.

2. Word "her" after our part. It means for sure that verb "save" has to be in past simple. It has not to be parallel with "turn" or something like that. It is independent part.
So C and D are out.

Leaves us with A.

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 157

Re: After the contractual dispute between the organizations had   [#permalink] 08 Sep 2017, 04:02

After the contractual dispute between the organizations had

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap