It is currently 21 Sep 2017, 12:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Aid workers have worried that residents of the Eastern Gobi Refugee

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 2242 [1], given: 178

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Aid workers have worried that residents of the Eastern Gobi Refugee [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2015, 10:02
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

78% (01:29) correct 22% (01:05) wrong based on 187 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Aid workers have worried that residents of the Eastern Gobi Refugee Camp might be at risk for beriberi, a severe deficiency of Thiamine, a B vitamin. Thiamine is found in high concentrations in cereal grains, and many of the residents have grain free diets because of allergies. Doctors and nutritionists assigned to investigate the situation have disagreed, noting that the residents grow sustenance amounts of potatoes, kale, and cauliflower on the surrounding farm lands, and these foods provide substantial sources of Thiamine as well. Because the residents of this refugee camp do not have any allergies to any of these latter foods, and crops have been good because of favorable weather conditions, their risk of beriberi is much lower than originally thought.

In the argument given, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

A) The first is evidence in support of the conclusion of the argument; the second is that conclusion.
B) The first is evidence that seems to contradict the conclusion of the argument; the second is that conclusion.
C) The first is the conclusion of the argument; the second calls the conclusion of the argument into question.
D) The first is the conclusion of the argument; the second calls is an alternate interpretation of this conclusion.
E) The first is evidence in support of the conclusion of the argument; the second is evidence that contradicts the conclusion of the argument.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Kudos [?]: 2242 [1], given: 178

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8130 [2], given: 99

Re: Aid workers have worried that residents of the Eastern Gobi Refugee [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2015, 11:10
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Harley1980 wrote:
Aid workers have worried that residents of the Eastern Gobi Refugee Camp might be at risk for beriberi, a severe deficiency of Thiamine, a B vitamin. Thiamine is found in high concentrations in cereal grains, and many of the residents have grain free diets because of allergies. Doctors and nutritionists assigned to investigate the situation have disagreed, noting that the residents grow sustenance amounts of potatoes, kale, and cauliflower on the surrounding farm lands, and these foods provide substantial sources of Thiamine as well. Because the residents of this refugee camp do not have any allergies to any of these latter foods, and crops have been good because of favorable weather conditions, their risk of beriberi is much lower than originally thought.

In the argument given, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

A) The first is evidence in support of the conclusion of the argument; the second is that conclusion.
B) The first is evidence that seems to contradict the conclusion of the argument; the second is that conclusion.
C) The first is the conclusion of the argument; the second calls the conclusion of the argument into question.
D) The first is the conclusion of the argument; the second calls is an alternate interpretation of this conclusion.
E) The first is evidence in support of the conclusion of the argument; the second is evidence that contradicts the conclusion of the argument.

Dear Harley1980,
I'm happy to help! :-) Another one that I wrote! :-)

OK, let's step back and look at the prompt as a whole, and consider the nameless narrator who is telling us this whole story. What is that nameless narrator's conclusion? Well, he tells us out the aid workers who had one conclusion, but then tells us about the doctors and nutritionists who are presented as much more well informed, and this folks reach a different conclusion. Clearly, the conclusion of the nameless narrator is that the doctors and the nutritionists are perfectly correct, and the aid workers were mistaken because they were not aware of the full spectrum of the evidence. The end of the paragraph, the conclusion of the doctors & nutritionists, is also the conclusion of the nameless narrator. This, the second bold statement, is THE conclusion of the prompt argument.

Always remember that there is a nameless narrator telling us the prompt argument. This person is making the argument, and the conclusion of the argument is that narrator's conclusion, which may well coincide with the conclusion of some of the characters in the prompt.

OK, right away, that knocks out (C) & (D) & (E), all of which say that the second bold statement is something other than the argument.

This leaves (A) & (B). The first bold statement does NOT support the conclusion: it completely contradicts the conclusion. That means (A) is out, leaving only the OA, (B). The first bold statement is perfectly factual--- it is evidence. It seems, taken by itself, to suggest a high risk of beriberi, and this is what the air workers conclude. Taken as part of the whole though, the evidence in the first bold statement does not really present an impediment to the conclusion.

Does all this make sense?
Mike

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Kudos [?]: 8130 [2], given: 99

Math Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 2242 [0], given: 178

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Aid workers have worried that residents of the Eastern Gobi Refugee [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2015, 13:16
mikemcgarry wrote:
Does all this make sense?
Mike

Thank you Mike. Your questions and explanations as usual are perfect :)

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Kudos [?]: 2242 [0], given: 178

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 253 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Aid workers have worried that residents of the Eastern Gobi Refugee [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2016, 07:22
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 253 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 24

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2017, 02:09
Hi Mike but isnt i providing evidence also as they are not having cereal grains ? So isnt it A

@mikemgarry

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 24

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8130 [0], given: 99

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2017, 10:46
Asac123 wrote:
Hi Mike but isnt i providing evidence also as they are not having cereal grains ? So isnt it A

@mikemgarry

Dear Asac123,

I'm happy to respond.

The conclusion is that the risk of beri-beri is low. That's the second BF.

One thing that would prevent beri-beri would be grains high in thiamin. But the first BF tells us these people can't eat grains! That would support the idea that the risk of beri-beri is high. This contradicts the conclusion (this was the naive conclusion of the aid workers.)

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Kudos [?]: 8130 [0], given: 99

Re: Aid workers have worried that residents of the Eastern Gobi Refugee   [#permalink] 10 Aug 2017, 10:46