Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 08:44 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 08:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4655 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: Aiming for T10. Same score on 2nd take -710. Should I cancel my 2nd? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
fydrmd wrote:
Would you guys suggest I cancel my 2nd attempt or keep it? Will it look bad on my application that there was no score improvement and that my verbal went down? Any advice or inputs would be highly appreciated.

Hi fydrmd,

710 is a great score!

For what it's worth, I'd keep the second score. In fact, that's the score I'd use. The total is the same, and the drop in verbal from 98% to 93% isn't as important as the improvement in quant from 40% to 50%.

All the best.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 615 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
Re: Aiming for T10. Same score on 2nd take -710. Should I cancel my 2nd? [#permalink]
fydrmd wrote:
Hi Everyone!! Just finished my 2nd attempt today and wanted to reach out for advice regarding my scores. Much to my dismay, there was no improvement and I still scored the same thing - 710 - on this 2nd attempt.

1st Attempt: 710 - V44 Q44 IR5 AWA6
2nd Attempt: 710 - V41 Q46 IR7 (still waiting for AWA)

Not sure if I should cancel my 2nd score since it’s still 710 or if it’s worth keeping since at least my Quant and IR improved? I honestly don’t have time or bandwidth (both mentally, financially, and emotionally haha) for a 3rd retake given my workload. I’m also set on applying for R2 this application cycle but haven’t given much time preparing my essays since I’ve been focused on the GMAT, so I'd like to use the last few months of the year working on the rest of my application.

For context, my background is a bit non-traditional. I'm a licensed MD that pivoted to more upstream within healthcare - I now work in the Strategy and Business Development team of a healthcare holding company. I feel like my academic track record is pretty solid - graduated Magna Cum Laude in undergrad, and scored in the 99th percentile in the national medical admissions test. Since I'm an MD, my work XP is on the shorter side ~ 3 years in total, 4 if you consider my year-long medical internship at the hospital (equivalent to PGY1) as work XP.

Was hoping to at least score around 730 or 740 to make up for my non-traditional background and lack of work experience. I know 710 is not necessarily a bad score but I'm scared that scoring 710 twice will look bad to the AdComs since there's no improvement in the overall score. That said, thinking if I should cancel the 2nd score or not.

Would you guys suggest I cancel my 2nd attempt or keep it? Will it look bad on my application that there was no score improvement and that my verbal went down? Any advice or inputs would be highly appreciated.

Thank you so much!

fydrmd

I advise applicants to consider GMAT scores in the quantitative and verbal sections individually. Admissions committees evaluate your performance along with that of your peers (from your demographic group) on a bell curve. For example, a Q49+ score (>75th percentile) is considered borderline elite for overrepresented populations at top business schools. If your quantitative score meets this threshold, the admissions committee is confident that you can handle the academically demanding curriculum. On the other hand, for native English speakers, a high score on the verbal section works very well with the adcoms as that underscores the applicant has the expected level of acumen in this section. So, if you come from an underrepresented ethnic group, your 710 with a V44 is really solid.

Your verbal score is more likely to reflect your ability to participate in discussions in a truly diverse group at schools that place a high value on discussion-based pedagogy. Your interview performance will matter a lot.

Understanding your demographic information such as nationality and work geography would be valuable. Regarding your GMAT score, if you choose not to retake it, your second attempt score should be better, although you must showcase your exceptional verbal performance in the first attempt in the optional essay. To be candid, schools may have reservations about your readiness for quantitative and finance-intensive subjects. Therefore, it's crucial to emphasize the proactive steps you plan to take to prepare for an MBA. It's advisable to work with an expert who understands the concerns admissions committees may have about your profile, despite its distinctiveness, and integrate solutions into your application narrative.

Get candid personalized advice tailored to your specific situation. We do not cap discussion hours with our applicants

Aanchal Sahni (INSEAD alum, ex INSEAD MBA admissions interviewer)
MBAGuideConsulting
LinkedIn |WEBSITE: https://mbaguideconsulting.com/ | Message: +91 9971200927| email- mbaguideconsulting@gmail.com
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22070 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi fydrmd,

I have an important question. Even if you were to do limited studying over the next few weeks, would you consider a final attempt? Because it seems if you can match your highest verbal and highest quant scores, your GMAT score will improve.
GMAT Club Bot