It is currently 17 Aug 2017, 10:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Among the teachers at Ashcroft High School, English and History teache

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 7721 [0], given: 95

Among the teachers at Ashcroft High School, English and History teache [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2016, 15:14
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Among the teachers at Ashcroft High School, English and History teacher have the heaviest grading burden. In addition to the smaller daily assignments that all other teachers must grade, English and History teachers, especially of junior and senior students, must grade lengthy writing assignments a few times a semester — literary essays in English and term papers in History. Therefore, since English and History teachers grade more, they should be paid more than the teachers of other subjects.

Select Strengthen for the statement that would, if true, most strengthen the argument, and select Weaken for the statement that would, if true, most weaken the argument. Make only two selections, one in each column.

Attachment:
Teachers' grading.png
Teachers' grading.png [ 12.26 KiB | Viewed 837 times ]

For a set of practice Two-Part Analysis questions, see:
GMAT Integrated Reasoning: Two-Part Analysis Practice Questions

Mike :-)

OA
[Reveal] Spoiler:
strengthener = (F), weakener = (D)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Magoosh Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesEconomist GMAT Tutor Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 66

Re: Among the teachers at Ashcroft High School, English and History teache [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2016, 04:07
Hi mikemcgarry,

Good Question.
strengthen was D all right. But i somehow did not settle as D for weakner.
cause A was similar to D, If i had to eliminate A i should eliminate D as well.

Can you explain how D is the answer ?

Cheers,
Shri
-------------------------------
GMAT is not an Exam... it is a war .. Let's Conquer !!!

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 66

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Re: Among the teachers at Ashcroft High School, English and History teache [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2016, 16:12
Shrivathsan wrote:
Hi mikemcgarry,

Good Question.
strengthen was D all right. But i somehow did not settle as D for weakner.
cause A was similar to D, If i had to eliminate A i should eliminate D as well.

Can you explain how D is the answer ?

Dear Shrivathsan

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, you wrote: "strengthen was D all right." Did you mean (F)? In this question, the OA for the strengthener question is (F). Do you understand this?

Now, for the weakener: you ask, why (D) and not (A). You see, the conclusion is "Therefore, since English and History teachers grade more, they should be paid more than the teachers of other subjects." In other words, the argument establishes a connection between grading and salary. Choice (A) describes a scenario in which extra time is spent with students, but nothing is being graded. In that sense, (A) is analogously related but outside the main focus of the argument. By contrast, (D) is about something that is graded--in particular, a time-consuming grading project for teachers other than English & History teachers. This weakens the argument.

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Re: Among the teachers at Ashcroft High School, English and History teache   [#permalink] 16 Dec 2016, 16:12