GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Sep 2018, 09:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

An airplane was due north of a tropical island when hurricane warning

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
V
An airplane was due north of a tropical island when hurricane warning  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2016, 05:57
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

34% (01:50) correct 66% (01:40) wrong based on 102 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

An airplane was due north of a tropical island when hurricane warning arrived at noon. In what direction was the tropical island from the position of the airplane at 3 pm?

(1) To circumvent the path of the hurricane, the airplane flew due west at 200 miles per hour from noon till 2 pm, and from 2 pm until 3 pm, it flew due south at 300 miles per hour.

(2) At 3 pm, the airplane was exactly 450 miles from the tropical island.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Director
Director
S
Reviews Badge
An airplane was due north of a tropical island when hurricane warning  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 12 Jul 2017, 10:45
stat 1 : the route travelled forms a right triangle with hypotenuse 500m due southwest if the plane starts from the island,, what is the initial position of the plane is different..
insuff

stat 2 : clearly insuff
hence E

Originally posted by mohshu on 17 Oct 2016, 11:02.
Last edited by mohshu on 12 Jul 2017, 10:45, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
Re: An airplane was due north of a tropical island when hurricane warning  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2016, 18:25
statement 1: island can be in east or south east direction.

Insufficient

Statement 2:

Insufficient

Statement 1&2:

If the island is at east, then the distance between plane and island should be 400 miles.

So the island is at south east direction from plane at a distance of 450 miles.

C

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: An airplane was due north of a tropical island when hurricane warning  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2017, 14:56
Wow, no correct answers on this one yet.

I got E as the Island can be anywhere south of the airplane to start; we need to know what distance the island is from the airplane.

For example:
(1) If it is very close to the airplane, the airplane will finish south west of the island.
(2) If the island initially is 300 miles south, the airplane will finish directly west of the island.
(3) If the island is beyond 300 miles south, the airplane will be north west of the island.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2017, 01:13
I agree with Laxpro.
The answer is completely dependent on the initial position of the plane. Even if the plane is straight north of the island at the beginning, at 3pm, it could be NW or SW of the island :

Sent from my SM-G935F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2017, 03:19
Bunuel wrote:
An airplane was due north of a tropical island when hurricane warning arrived at noon. In what direction was the tropical island from the position of the airplane at 3 pm?

(1) To circumvent the path of the hurricane, the airplane flew due west at 200 miles per hour from noon till 2 pm, and from 2 pm until 3 pm, it flew due south at 300 miles per hour.

I used coordinate geometry to solve this question.
Since I cannot draw here, please bear with me. I will try and explain my process.

At 12 pm - Plane is due north of the island, so if the island is at coordinate (0,0), then the plane is at (0,y).
Storm warning. Where is the plane relative to the island at 3pm? Or what are the coordinates?

1) Plane flew west from (0,y) at 200 miles per hour till 2 pm
Plane's new position is (-400,y)
Plane flew south from (-400,y) at 300 miles per hour for 1 hour.
Plane's new position is (-400,y-300)
y=?
Insufficient.

2) At 3 pm the plane is 450 miles from the island
It should be in any direction. Insufficient.

(1+2)
Plane's last known position is (-400, y-300)
The distance is 450 miles from the island.

If y > 300 then it's above the x-axis and if y < 300 then it's below the x-axis.
Insufficient.

Answer is E.

Put in the work, and that dream score is yours!

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2017, 03:52
Let the Distance between plane and tropical Island be X.
We know that the plane is in the north to the tropical Island.And we have to find out the direction the plane would be at 3 O'clock.

So by 1)
So by this the plane 200 miles west and 300 miles south.
But we don't know the original distance between plane and tropical Island. Considering this the plane could be in North West or in South West.

By 2)
The distance between plane and tropical Island doesn't guide to know the direction of plance.

Combining 1) and 2)
After we know the distance between plane and tropical Island and we know that it could be in North west and South West

So option E is correct.

Madhur

GMAT OAK

I have started an initiative of providing completely free of cost GMAT coaching.

Please feel free to contact @+91-7875875495

For more info and our introduction information,please search us on youtube with :GMAT Oak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpwUf1lBQ1w

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2017, 11:12
I got the answer C because if it's due north, I was thinking that it is somewhere on the y-axis north. Not NE or NW. Then if we know both the distance it was flying from 12-3 and the relative orientation in space plus the final distance to the island, we can figure out exactly where it began its journey on the y-axis and hence where final position was.

Am I missing something?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2017, 11:18
Nagge wrote:
I got the answer C because if it's due north, I was thinking that it is somewhere on the y-axis north. Not NE or NW. Then if we know both the distance it was flying from 12-3 and the relative orientation in space plus the final distance to the island, we can figure out exactly where it began its journey on the y-axis and hence where final position was.

Am I missing something?

I failed to consider that the plane could have started close to the island and gone around it (negative y axis). There is therefore two possible answers... answer E is correct
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Schools: Dartmouth College

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2018, 04:15
Bunuel wrote:

Statements combined:
The dotted green line indicates the plane's position at 12pm.
The blue right triangle indicates the plane's position at 3pm.
The two dotted red lines show positions for the island that are 450 miles from the plane's position at 3pm.
Since the island can be in different positions, the two statements combined are INSUFFICIENT.

GMAT and GRE Tutor
Over 1800 followers
Click here to learn more
GMATGuruNY@gmail.com
New York, NY
If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" icon.
Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.

Re: An airplane was due north of a tropical island when hurricane warning &nbs [#permalink] 22 Jul 2018, 04:15

An airplane was due north of a tropical island when hurricane warning

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap