GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 May 2019, 10:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

An enclosed rectangular tank with dimensions 2 meters by 3 meters

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
Retired Moderator
avatar
V
Joined: 22 Jun 2014
Posts: 1111
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User
An enclosed rectangular tank with dimensions 2 meters by 3 meters  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2018, 07:38
1
2
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  15% (low)

Question Stats:

83% (01:31) correct 17% (01:58) wrong based on 97 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Image
An enclosed rectangular tank with dimensions 2 meters by 3 meters by 4 meters is filled with water to a depth of 1 meter as shown by the shaded region in the figure above. If the tank is turned so that it rests on one of its smallest faces, the depth, in meters, of the water will be

(A) \(\frac{2}{3}\)
(B) \(1\)
(C) \(\frac{4}{3}\)
(D) \(\frac{5}{3}\)
(E) \(2\)

Project PS Butler : Question #45


Subscribe to get Daily Email - Click Here | Subscribe via RSS - RSS


Attachment:
Tank.JPG
Tank.JPG [ 14.93 KiB | Viewed 1088 times ]

_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 16 Feb 2016
Posts: 10
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V27
An enclosed rectangular tank with dimensions 2 meters by 3 meters  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2018, 09:07
2
total volume of water at present=L*B*H = 4*2*1 =8
When standing on one of shortest sides, volume=2*3*H = 6*H.
Now 6H=8
So, H = 4/3

Hence, C is the answer.
VP
VP
User avatar
D
Joined: 09 Mar 2016
Posts: 1284
An enclosed rectangular tank with dimensions 2 meters by 3 meters  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2018, 09:13
anurag16589 wrote:
total volume of water at present=L*B*H = 4*2*1 =8
When standing on one of shortest sides, volume=2*3*H = 6*H.
Now 6H=8
So, H = 4/3

Hence, C is the answer.



hi anurag16589 what concept do you apply ? do you have any links ? I am bad at those volume problems :)

may be you can give some advice ganand :)
Senior PS Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 26 Feb 2016
Posts: 3386
Location: India
GPA: 3.12
An enclosed rectangular tank with dimensions 2 meters by 3 meters  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2018, 10:52
1
Image

Since the depth of water is 1 meter, the volume of water contained is 4*2*1 = 8 meter^3

The various faces on which the cuboid can be turned are 2*3(6) or 3*4(12) since the cuboid is
already on its third face which is 2*4(8). The smallest face towards which the tank is moved
has an area of 6 meter^2.

Therefore, the depth of water is meter in the cube can be measured as \(\frac{4}{3}\) meter(Option C)
_________________
You've got what it takes, but it will take everything you've got
VP
VP
User avatar
D
Joined: 09 Mar 2016
Posts: 1284
An enclosed rectangular tank with dimensions 2 meters by 3 meters  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2018, 13:43
pushpitkc wrote:
Image

Since the depth of water is 1 meter, the volume of water contained is 4*2*1 = 8 meter^3

The various faces on which the cuboid can be turned are 2*3(6) or 3*4(12) since the cuboid is
already on its third face which is 2*4(8). The smallest face towards which the tank is moved
has an area of 6 meter^2.

Therefore, the depth of water is meter in the cube can be measured as \(\frac{4}{3}\) meter(Option C)



pushpitkc I omitted this step / couldnt see it ---> Since the depth of water is 1 meter, the volume of water contained is 4*2*1 = 8 meter^3

but i did calculate the are of large rectangle which is 8

and area of smallest rectangle which is 6

so al we have to do is to write ratio the areas of above mentioned rectangles ? if So

my question IS why you wrote 4/3 and not 3/4, how should i figure out this - to write 4/3 or 3/4 ?

i hope you can take time to reply to my post :grin:

thank you :)
Senior PS Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 26 Feb 2016
Posts: 3386
Location: India
GPA: 3.12
Re: An enclosed rectangular tank with dimensions 2 meters by 3 meters  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2018, 21:21
1
Hey dave13

Once we have established the volume of water contained in the rectangular tank is 8 m^3
and the smallest face on which the rectangular tank is turned is 2*3 or 6 m^2, in order to
understand how high the water is the calculations will be as follows

6m^2 * height of water(in m) = 8m^3 (volume of water we need to fit in the vessel)

Now the height in meters is \(\frac{8}{6} = \frac{4}{3}\)

Hope that helps!
_________________
You've got what it takes, but it will take everything you've got
Manager
Manager
avatar
D
Joined: 17 May 2015
Posts: 249
Re: An enclosed rectangular tank with dimensions 2 meters by 3 meters  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2018, 22:20
1
dave13 wrote:
pushpitkc wrote:
Image

Since the depth of water is 1 meter, the volume of water contained is 4*2*1 = 8 meter^3

The various faces on which the cuboid can be turned are 2*3(6) or 3*4(12) since the cuboid is
already on its third face which is 2*4(8). The smallest face towards which the tank is moved
has an area of 6 meter^2.

Therefore, the depth of water is meter in the cube can be measured as \(\frac{4}{3}\) meter(Option C)



pushpitkc I omitted this step / couldnt see it ---> Since the depth of water is 1 meter, the volume of water contained is 4*2*1 = 8 meter^3

but i did calculate the are of large rectangle which is 8

and area of smallest rectangle which is 6

so al we have to do is to write ratio the areas of above mentioned rectangles ? if So

my question IS why you wrote 4/3 and not 3/4, how should i figure out this - to write 4/3 or 3/4 ?

i hope you can take time to reply to my post :grin:

thank you :)


Hi dave13,

I think you are confused with the application of Area and Volume.

In the above problem, the quantity(volume ) of water is going to be constant. Hence we equate the volume.

In the Original Diagram, we have the following dimensions:

Height = 3 cm but the height of the water is only 1 cm, hence consider height as 1 cm. Length = 2 cm and Width = 4 cm.

Volume = 2*4*1 = 8 \(cm^3\) ---- (1)

After rotation, we have the following diagram. Please note that the water level is not depicted in the diagram.

Attachment:
rotated tank1.png
rotated tank1.png [ 17.19 KiB | Viewed 731 times ]


After rotation we have the following dimensions:

Height = 4 cm but the height of water level is unknown, hence assume as \(h\) cm. Length = 3 cm, and Width = 2 cm.

The volume of water =\(h*3*2 = 6h\) --- (2)

By equating (1) and (2) we have \(h = \frac{4}{3}\)cm.

Hope this helps.

Please go through the following article:

https://study.com/academy/lesson/differ ... olume.html

Thank you.
VP
VP
User avatar
D
Joined: 09 Mar 2016
Posts: 1284
Re: An enclosed rectangular tank with dimensions 2 meters by 3 meters  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2018, 01:03
ganand and pushpitkc thanks a lot :)
GMAT Club Bot
Re: An enclosed rectangular tank with dimensions 2 meters by 3 meters   [#permalink] 29 Nov 2018, 01:03
Display posts from previous: Sort by

An enclosed rectangular tank with dimensions 2 meters by 3 meters

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.