Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 17:21 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 17:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3941 [61]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: The Princeton Review
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [34]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618595 [1]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 266 [1]
Given Kudos: 66
Schools:UC Berkley, UCLA
GMAT 2: 540 GMAT 3: 530
Send PM
Re: An oil field prospector and developer reported a large oil [#permalink]
Bookmarks
anilnandyala wrote:
An oil field prospector and developer reported a large oil deposit in southwestern Texas. As a result, a large oil and gas company purchased the field with the intention of drilling oil wells in the area soon afterwards. However, the company found that what had been reported to be a large oil deposit was actually much smaller than had been indicated. Thus, the methods that the prospector had used to determine the size of the oil deposit must have been inaccurate.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

The company's methods of measuring the size of the oil deposit were determined by a third party to be more accurate than those used by the prospector.

The prospector did not purposefully fabricate or misrepresent the size of the oil deposit.
Though smaller than originally thought, the oil deposit contained enough oil to make drilling commercially feasible.
The prospector did not explore other oil fields and use the same methods to determine the magnitude of the oil present, if any.
The company had successfully drilled for oil in other large oil fields in Texas throughout the early twentieth century.

Stimulus says that this guy reported a large oil deposit and finally concluded that his methods must have been inaccurate (after finding out that the "large deposit" wasn't so large after all). So what would they think that he used an inaccurate method, while he could have been lying.
So B is your answer

A - kind of strengthens the argument and doesn't give you the assumption
C - is irrelevant (the fact that the amount of oil in the deposit being commercially feasible is not discussed in the argument)
D - is out of scope
E - is out of scope as well

HTH

Mari
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [3]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
Hiya,

With regard to Option B - you could think about it this way:

1) Oil Prospector says that oil fields contain X amount of oil.
2) Oil fields do NOT contain X amount of oil.
3) Either Mr. Oil Prospector was not able to accurately assess how much oil the fields contain (implying that his methods were inaccurate) OR he was lying about his findings.

The argument made was that he was not able to accurately assess the oil levels available. This then necessarily means that it is assumed that he was not lying about his findings.

Does this help clear it up a little more?

- MrFong
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 773 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
SanDiegoJake could you tell me how to negate this sentence:

Most prospective parents who apply to adopt babies donot meet the minimum standards.

Related question:
1. Is most equivalent to some in which case the logical opposite would be none right?
2. Should we negate most and donot simultaneously or just one of them and if so which one?

Thanks in advance!
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 4561 [4]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
The Assumption: The argument assumes that the misreported size of the oil field can only be due to inaccurate measurement.

The Correct Answer: One that provides another reason, beside inaccurate measurement, as to why the oil field was not correctly reported.

(A) The company's methods of measuring the size of the oil deposit were determined by a third party to be more accurate than those used by the prospector.

Sure, the prospector was inaccurate. Was it his tools or his ethics that led to the inaccurate report? (A) does not answer this question.

(B) The prospector did not purposefully fabricate or misrepresent the size of the oil deposit.

Here is a possible reason for the misreporting: the prospector was dishonest. Therefore, for the argument to hold true, we have to discount the possibility that the prospector lied. If the prospector did actually lie, then the conclusion is invalid.

(C) Though smaller than originally thought, the oil deposit contained enough oil to make drilling commercially feasible.

Out of Scope.

(D) The prospector did not explore other oil fields and use the same methods to determine the magnitude of the oil present, if any.

We are not concerned with other fields. Even if the prospector explored other fields using the same method perhaps his assessments were inaccurate. Or maybe they were accurate. Regardless, that doesn't help us understand why the size of the field was woefully underreported. Was it inaccurate measurements or an unethical prospector.

(E) The company had successfully drilled for oil in other large oil fields in Texas throughout the early twentieth century.

Does not relate to the argument.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: The Princeton Review
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Send PM
vibhav wrote:
SanDiegoJake could you tell me how to negate this sentence:

Most prospective parents who apply to adopt babies donot meet the minimum standards.

Related question:
1. Is most equivalent to some in which case the logical opposite would be none right?
2. Should we negate most and donot simultaneously or just one of them and if so which one?

Thanks in advance!

Hey there vibhav,

In general, it's dangerous to think of negation as simply changing one word to its logical opposite. Sometimes that works, and sometimes it doesn't. What you want to do to negate is, instead, think, "What if it's not true that..." in this case, "What if it's not true that most prospective parents who apply to adopt babies do not meet the minimum standards? " Then, think it through. If it is not true that most parents who apply do not meet the minimum standards, then it's not 'most', it could be the case that it's less than half or even none. So the way I'd think about the negation is that "Less than half, or possibly none, of the propsective parents who apply to adopt babies do not meet the minimum standards."

Related answers.
1) "Most" and "some" are not at all equivalent. Most means "more than half". So the negation of "most" would be "Not more than half", which could be less than half or could be none at all. Some just means "not none". "Some" could be just a few, half, more than half, or even all. How could "some" mean "all"? Good question. It would be technically true if I said that some days of the week end in the letter "y". True, right? Some do. In fact, all do. But I only admitted to you that some do. So you can't take the word "some" to mean "only some". That's different. "Some" includes "all", but "only some" precludes "all." The negation of "some" is "not some", so "none".

2) Never both, always one and if there's a quantity word such as "all/most/some/none" then always that one, in this case, negate the "most". But as I said, trying to just pick the word to negate may get you in trouble. So I always think about the entire meaning, and then ask myself "what if that's not true?" That's the safest bet.

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Kudos
Need a clarification here,

I heard that negation will make the conclusion fall. Here negating the choices A and B, gives the same, falling conclusion.
Conclusion: prospector's mtd is inaccurate.
A: Company's methods are accurate. Negating this, Company's mtds are inaccurate. So prospector's mtd is accurate.(concl falls)
B: prospector dint misreport. Negating this, prospector misreported. Thus prospector's mtd is accurate.(concl falls)

How to deal with these kind of questions? mariyea stated the A is strengthening.

How to differentiate between strenthening and assumption choices? Both when negated, makes the conclusion falls..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
An oil field prospector and developer reported a large oil [#permalink]
An oil field prospector and developer reported a large oil deposit in southwestern Texas. As a result, a large oil and gas company purchased the field with the intention of drilling oil wells in the area soon afterwards. However, the company found that what had been reported to be a large oil deposit was actually much smaller than had been indicated. Thus, the methods that the prospector had used to determine the size of the oil deposit must have been inaccurate.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

The company's methods of measuring the size of the oil deposit were determined by a third party to be more accurate than those used by the prospector.

The prospector did not purposefully fabricate or misrepresent the size of the oil deposit.
Though smaller than originally thought, the oil deposit contained enough oil to make drilling commercially feasible.
The prospector did not explore other oil fields and use the same methods to determine the magnitude of the oil present, if any.
The company had successfully drilled for oil in other large oil fields in Texas throughout the early twentieth century.

The conclusion that because oil deposits were smaller indicates that the methods used by the prospector to determine the size of the oil deposit must have been inaccurate rules out an other reason. The correct answer will defend the argument by ruling out any possible explanations for the discrepancy e.g. ruling out the possibility that the prospector fabricated data to lure buyers, B.

B
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts