Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:57 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5230 [0]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3093 [2]
Given Kudos: 141
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [4]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1519 [9]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Re: Are x and y both positive? (1) 2x - 2y = 1 (2) x/y > 1 [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Manbehindthecurtain wrote:
Are x and y both positive?

(1) 2x-2y = 1
(2) x/y > 1

Plug in approach that can be used without thinking much and very likely arrive at the correct answer.

Values to be taken: x positive and negative and find the corresponding values for y based on the statements
Note: x and y cannot be of different signs and also x cannot be zero as they will not satisfy (ii)

(i) x=10, we have y =9.5 .Both positive satisfied And now x=-10, we have y=-9.5. Both negative also satisfied .Different results. So (i) alone not sufficient

(ii) x=10, y can be positive. Both positive satisfied . And now x=-10, y can be negative. Both negative also satisfied. So (ii) alone not sufficient

(i) + (ii) x=10, y=9.5 satisfies both the statements . Both positive satisfied . And now x=-10. Value of y is found from (i) and is negative , but we see it does not satisfy (ii). So both cannot be negative .

So we can answer the question using (i) and (ii) together
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:
arijitb1980 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
(1) 2x-2y=1
(2) x/y>1

(1) 2x-2y=1. Well this one is clearly insufficient. You can do it with number plugging OR consider the following: x and y both positive means that point (x,y) is in the I quadrant. 2x-2y=1 --> y=x-1/2, we know it's an equation of a line and basically question asks whether this line (all (x,y) points of this line) is only in I quadrant. It's just not possible. Not sufficient.

(2) x/y>1 --> x and y have the same sign. But we don't know whether they are both positive or both negative. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) Again it can be done with different approaches. You should just find the one which is the less time-consuming and comfortable for you personally.

One of the approaches:
\(2x-2y=1\) --> \(x=y+\frac{1}{2}\)
\(\frac{x}{y}>1\) --> \(\frac{x-y}{y}>0\) --> substitute x --> \(\frac{1}{y}>0\) --> \(y\) is positive, and as \(x=y+\frac{1}{2}\), \(x\) is positive too. Sufficient.

Answer: C.

Hello Bunuel,

I am preparing for GMAT and you are a master in quantitatives,I salute you. However this problem I did not understand why it is C.I got E by plugging in numbers.
Considerin Stmt (1)
2x-2y=1
Means x-y=1/2
Now i used 2 numbers x=2,y=1.5 and x= -1.5 and y= -2
So (1) is insufficient as both x and y can be both +ve or -ve.
Stmt(2)
x/y > 1
Means x >y
If i use the above numbers x=2,y=1.5 and x= -1.5 and y= -2
then this holds true but cannot determine if x and y are both positive or negetive.
Combining (1) and (2) I still cannot determine if x and y are both positive or negetive .
So for me answer is E .
Please let me know what am I missing here.

Thanks

As stated above, x= -1.5 and y= -2 does not satisfy the second statement, hence you cannot use these values when plugging numbers.

Hi,

While I see that translating (x/y)>1 into x>y must be wrong, as clearly it lets me use a different range of numbers (and is the reason I chose E instead of C), I don't understand what is wrong with my algebra.

Why can't I multiply (x/y) * y > 1 * y and get x>y?

Thank you.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13388 [1]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Matthias15 wrote:

Hi,

While I see that translating (x/y)>1 into x>y must be wrong, as clearly it lets me use a different range of numbers (and is the reason I chose E instead of C), I don't understand what is wrong with my algebra.

Why can't I multiply (x/y) * y > 1 * y and get x>y?

Thank you.

Hi Matthias15

If (x/y) > 1

Case-1: If y >0 then x > y

Case-2: If y <0 then x < y

Please note: Multiplying a Negative Number on both sides require the Inequation sign to flip [as mentioned in Case-2]

That's where you are wrong.

I hope it helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
What happens when y = o?

X = 0.5 and y = 0, satisfies i and x/y is indeed > 0 since anything divided by 0 is infinity. But, despite this, y is not positive as it '0'.

Even in this case -

"One of the approaches:
2x−2y=1 --> x=y+12
xy>1 --> x−yy>0 --> substitute x --> 1y>0 --> y is positive, and as x=y+12, x is positive too. Sufficient."

The moment you assume y = 0, you can easily see that 1/y is infinity that is greater than 0 and hence, satisfies the equation.

Am i missing something. My answer would be 'E'
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29936 [2]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
jitendra31 wrote:
What happens when y = o?
X = 0.5 and y = 0, satisfies i and x/y is indeed > 0 since anything divided by 0 is infinity. But, despite this, y is not positive as it '0'.
'

It may seem that 0.5/0 = infinity, but this is not the case.
If we approach 0 from the positive side, then it looks like 0.5/0 is a REALLY BIG POSITIVE NUMBER
0.5/0.1 = 5
0.5/0.01 = 50
0.5/0.001 = 500
0.5/0.0001 = 5000
0.5/0.00001 = 50000
etc.

But what if we approach 0 from the NEGATIVE side:
0.5/(-0.1) = -5
0.5/(-0.01) = -50
0.5/(-0.001) = -500
0.5/(-0.0001) = -5000
0.5/(-0.00001) = -50000
Here it looks like 0.5/0 will be a REALLY BIG NEGATIVE NUMBER

This is why we say that x/0 is undefined.

Cheers,
Brent
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16598 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Expert Reply
There are 2 variables (x and y) in the original condition. In order to match the number of variables and the number of equations, we need 2 equations. Since the condition 1) and 2) each has 1 equation, there is high chance that the correct answer is C. Using 1) and 2), from 2(x-y)=1>0 we get 2(x-y)>0, x>y. Using 2), if we multiply both sides by y^2, we get xy>y^2, xy-y^2>0, y(x-y)>0. Since x-y>0, we get y>0. From x>y>0, x>0. The answer is always yes and the condition is sufficient. Hence, the correct answer is C.

For cases where we need 2 more equations, such as original conditions with “2 variables”, or “3 variables and 1 equation”, or “4 variables and 2 equations”, we have 1 equation each in both 1) and 2). Therefore, there is 70% chance that C is the answer, while E has 25% chance. These two are the majority. In case of common mistake type 3,4, the answer may be from A, B or D but there is only 5% chance. Since C is most likely to be the answer using 1) and 2) separately according to DS definition (It saves us time). Obviously there may be cases where the answer is A, B, D or E.
Attachments

variable approach's answer probability.jpg
variable approach's answer probability.jpg [ 219.74 KiB | Viewed 14032 times ]

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 997 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Manbehindthecurtain wrote:

(1) 2x-2y = 1
(2) x/y > 1

Statement 1
2x-2y = 1

x - y = (1/2)

x = 3/2; y = 1 ; both x and y positive

x = 1/4, y = -1/4; x is positive, y is negative

so not sufficient

Statement 2

(x/y) > 1

x = 3/2; y = 1 ; (x/y) is more than 1. both x and y positive

x = -2; y = -1 ; (x/y) is more than 1. both x and y negative

so not sufficient

Combining Statement 1 and 2

x - y = 1/2

x = y+(1/2)

x/y > 1

{y+(1/2)} / y is more than 1

1+(1/2y) > 1

(1/2y) > 0

y has to be positive. because x = y+1/2, so x also has to be positive.

C is the answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
What about the example of y=0? Then x/y is surely greater than 1, hence I chose answer E.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29936 [1]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
vgmatv wrote:
What about the example of y=0? Then x/y is surely greater than 1, hence I chose answer E.

x/0 can be really big OR really small...

From my earlier post:

If we approach 0 from the positive side, then it looks like 0.5/0 is a REALLY BIG POSITIVE NUMBER
0.5/0.1 = 5
0.5/0.01 = 50
0.5/0.001 = 500
0.5/0.0001 = 5000
0.5/0.00001 = 50000
etc.

But what if we approach 0 from the NEGATIVE side:
0.5/(-0.1) = -5
0.5/(-0.01) = -50
0.5/(-0.001) = -500
0.5/(-0.0001) = -5000
0.5/(-0.00001) = -50000
Here it looks like 0.5/0 will be a REALLY BIG NEGATIVE NUMBER

This is why we say that x/0 is undefined.

Cheers,
Brent
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619075 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Expert Reply
TaN1213 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
(1) 2x-2y=1
(2) x/y>1

(1) 2x-2y=1. Well this one is clearly insufficient. You can do it with number plugging OR consider the following: x and y both positive means that point (x,y) is in the I quadrant. 2x-2y=1 --> y=x-1/2, we know it's an equation of a line and basically question asks whether this line (all (x,y) points of this line) is only in I quadrant. It's just not possible. Not sufficient.

(2) x/y>1 --> x and y have the same sign. But we don't know whether they are both positive or both negative. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) Again it can be done with different approaches. You should just find the one which is the less time-consuming and comfortable for you personally.

One of the approaches:
\(2x-2y=1\) --> \(x=y+\frac{1}{2}\)
\(\frac{x}{y}>1\) --> \(\frac{x-y}{y}>0\) --> substitute x --> \(\frac{1}{y}>0\) --> \(y\) is positive, and as \(x=y+\frac{1}{2}\), \(x\) is positive too. Sufficient.

Discussed here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/ds1-93964.htm ... approaches and also here along with other hard inequality problems: https://gmatclub.com/forum/inequality-an ... 86939.html

Hope it helps.

Hi Buñuel,

If we put x=1/2 & y=0 , would you please explain how are both statements together sufficient? Both statements hold true for these values of x and y, yet 0 is not positive.

Regards.
chris558 wrote:

1) 2x-2y=1
2(x-y)=1
x-y=1/2
-->3/4-1/4=1/2....YES
-->-1/4-(-3/4)=1/2...NO
INSUFFICIENT

2) x/y>1
This just means that x and y have the same sign. They're either both positive or both negative.
INSUFFICIENT

1&2)
x=1/2+y

(1/2+y)/y>1
y/2 + 1 > 1
y/2 > 0 which means that Y is greater than 0. And since both x and y have the same sign, both x and y are Positive. YES.

Answer is C.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

y cannot be 0 because in this case x/y will not be defined (division by 0 is not allowed) and not greater than 1 as given in the second statement.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
Send PM

(1) 2x-2y = 1

2(x-y) = 1

x-y = 1/2 = 05

Lets substitute some values and check:

x = 0.1 & y = -0.4

0.1 - (-0.4) = 0.5 ==============> Answer to the question is NO

x = 1 & y = 0.5

1 - 05 = 0.5 =================> Answer to the questions is YES

As we are getting multiple answers, Statement (1) is Not Sufficient.

(2) x/y > 1

Which means both x & y have same sing, they can be either positive or both negative.

As we are getting multiple answers, statement (2) us Not Sufficient.

Now, lets combine both (1) and (2)

we get:

x = y + 1/2

also, we know x/y>1

which means: (y+1/2)/y>1

which means y is > 0

as y>0, x has to be > 0 as well. So we can come to the conclusion that both x & y are positive.

Hence, Answer is C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
First of all, everyone should really read Bunel's earlier posts before just tagging him. He must have written the same explanation five times!

Let me try:

Statement 1:
2x - 2y =1
2*(x-y) = 1
x - y =0.5

Ok cool, but you can probably tell intuitively that a difference of 0.5 doesn't really help. X and Y could be 1 and 0.5 or 0.25 and -0.25.

So this is not really that helpful, however it was important to do this algebra because, often on DS questions, you need to see how the statements work together and simpler expressions are much easier to work with. So, always at least try and simplify stuff wherever possible as the GMAT really seems to reward that reflex.

Statement 2:
x/y > 1

This should be an immediate reaction: same sign. If you don't immediately think that, practice until you do.

Now, as Bunel mentioned, there are two approaches. Number picking and algebra. Whenever possible, I try to use algebra. It's really personal preference on a question like this, but I have a panic that goes off in my head where I am scared I am missing a potential extreme value. So I try to use algebra to avoid that feeling.

Whenever you have an equation and an inequality, you always want to substitute the equation into the inequality (the other way around is not really permitted).

Notice that it actually doesn't matter which value you isolate. Because you know x and y have the same sign, you are just trying to figure out the sign of either one of them.

equation 1: x = y + 0.5
equation 2: x/y > 1

Now you can clean up the second equation as Bunel did, or you can go straight for it.

(y + 0.5)/y > 1
y/y + 0.5/y >1
1 + 0.5/y > 1
0.5y > 0

So a positive number (0.5) multiplied by y is greater that 0. Ok so y has to be positive. And if y is positive......so is x (because statement 2 told us that).

(C)

Keep practicing everyone!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 163
GPA: 3.5
WE:General Management (Education)
Send PM
Hi everyone,

Sorry but i dont understand the condition that 1/2y > 0 so y must be positive. But i think y can also be negative because when y is negative so 2y is still positive and 1/2y > 0 anyway. Where am i wrong? Please help. Thank you so much
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619075 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hungluu92vn wrote:
Hi everyone,

Sorry but i dont understand the condition that 1/2y > 0 so y must be positive. But i think y can also be negative because when y is negative so 2y is still positive and 1/2y > 0 anyway. Where am i wrong? Please help. Thank you so much

For \(\frac{1}{2y}>0\) to be true y must be positive. It cannot be negative because in this case 2y = 2*negative = negative, so \(\frac{1}{2y}=\frac{1}{negative}=negative<0\).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
Send PM
dauntingmcgee wrote:
I found this one easiest to solve by drawing a graph. Clearly 1) and 2) alone are not sufficient as discussed, so what remains to be seen is if 2) adds enough information to 1) to determine if both x and y are positive.

Drawing a quick graph of the line y=x-1/2 we find that the x-intercept of the line is (0.5,0) and the y-intercept is (0,-0.5). From this graph we can clearly see that we don't need to worry about anything in the 4th quadrant (+x/-y is not >1) or the 3rd quadrant (|x|<|y|, therefore x/y is not >1). All that is left is the 1st quadrant, in which x and y are both positive.

Sufficient.

Can you please explain your statement "3rd quadrant (|x|<|y|, therefore x/y is not >1)". Why we don't need to worry about IIIrd quadrant. ?
My confusion is - Since x/y >1 - this implies both have either -ve sign or +ve sign. If both are -ve, they must lie in 3rd quadrant.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
Concentration: Strategy, Nonprofit
Schools: ISB '20
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
Much simpler approach is here:
1) x-y=0.5
Clearly, insufficient as difference betn 2 +ve numbers as well as 2 -ve numbers can be 0.5
2) x/y>1
Insufficient, as x,y both can be either +ve or -ve

Considering both together,
x/y>1
If both are -ve, then x<y and hence x-y<0. So,there is no way that x-y=0.5 hence both cannot be zero.
If both are positive, x>y and hence x-y=0.5 can hold true.
Sufficient.

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 270
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

(1) \(2x-2y=1\). Well this one is clearly insufficient. You can do it with number plugging OR consider the following: both x and y are positive means that point (x,y) is in the I quadrant. \(2x-2y=1\) --> \(y=x-\frac{1}{2}\). We know it's an equation of a line and basically the question asks whether this line (all (x,y) points of this line) is only in I quadrant. This line for sure passes I quadrant (for example, x = 1.5 and y = 1) but it cannot entirely be only in I quadrant, so there must be some (x, y) points whose coordinates are not both positive. Not sufficient.

(2) \(\frac{x}{y}>1\) --> x and y have the same sign. But we don't know whether they are both positive or both negative. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) Again it can be done with different approaches. You should just find the one which is the less time-consuming and comfortable for you personally. One of the approaches:

From (1): \(2x-2y=1\), so \(x=y+\frac{1}{2}\)

From (2): \(\frac{x}{y}>1\);

Substitute x into (2): \(\frac{y + \frac{1}{2}}{y}>1\);

\(1 + \frac{1}{2y}>1\);

\(\frac{1}{2y}>0\);

\(y > 0\). \(y\) is positive. Thus, \(x=y+\frac{1}{2}=positive+positive=positive\). So, \(x\) is positive too. Sufficient.

You can also check GRAPHIC APPROACH below.

Hello,

1/2y > 0 means y could be 0 and 1/2y could be infinity which is greater than 0.
So we can't actually remove the point of y not equal to 0.

Regards,
Ronak B.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderator:
Math Expert
92915 posts