GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Nov 2018, 02:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
28293031123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
2526272829301
Open Detailed Calendar
  • How to QUICKLY Solve GMAT Questions - GMAT Club Chat

     November 20, 2018

     November 20, 2018

     09:00 AM PST

     10:00 AM PST

    The reward for signing up with the registration form and attending the chat is: 6 free examPAL quizzes to practice your new skills after the chat.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

     November 20, 2018

     November 20, 2018

     06:00 PM EST

     07:00 PM EST

    What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

Automobile Dealers Advertisement: The Highway Traffic Safety Institute

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
User avatar
B
Joined: 27 Jan 2013
Posts: 97
Location: India
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.7
Re: Automobile Dealers Advertisement: The Highway Traffic Safety Institute  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2016, 09:29
I am confused over the second option. Option B says that the in recent years many more PZ 1000's have been sold than any other kind of car in its class. If the number of cars sold is very large, then average number of accidents per car [ total accidents/ total no of cars] would be low. This means that average number of injuries per accident for all the PZ cars would be low. So, can't we say that this option also weakens the argument? Since average number of low accidents is just because of large number of sales and the car could be actually not that safe.

I agree with option C also, but I am not convinced with the OG's explanation [High sales indicate it is actually safer and hence strengthens] for option B. Could somebody please explain where am I wrong [if].
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Status: Active
Affiliations: NA
Joined: 23 Oct 2012
Posts: 274
GMAT 1: 590 Q50 V21
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.5
Re: Automobile Dealers Advertisement: The Highway Traffic Safety Institute  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2016, 13:07
RaghavSingla wrote:
I am confused over the second option. Option B says that the in recent years many more PZ 1000's have been sold than any other kind of car in its class. If the number of cars sold is very large, then average number of accidents per car [ total accidents/ total no of cars] would be low. This means that average number of injuries per accident for all the PZ cars would be low. So, can't we say that this option also weakens the argument? Since average number of low accidents is just because of large number of sales and the car could be actually not that safe.

I agree with option C also, but I am not convinced with the OG's explanation [High sales indicate it is actually safer and hence strengthens] for option B. Could somebody please explain where am I wrong [if].



Hi,
This doesn't weaken the argument if you read the line The Highway Traffic Safety Institute reports that the PZ 1000 has the fewest injuries per accident of any car in its class in argument carefully . option B
(B) In recently years many more PZ 1000â€s have been sold than have any other kind of car in its class. Since, it is about injuries per accident , you can't get injuries corresponding to whole pz cars given by the statement that it sold more than others.for example only few cars of Pz are involved in accidents than others than this will strengthen the argument. So , option 'B' is irrelevant.However, in option 'C' it says it is involved in accidents higly than others . This means the number of injuries caused by this car is more , hence weaken the fact that it is safe than others. Hope it is clear :)
_________________

#If you like my post , please encourage me by giving Kudos :)

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 02 May 2015
Posts: 215
Location: South Africa
Concentration: International Business, Organizational Behavior
GPA: 3.49
WE: Web Development (Insurance)
Re: Automobile Dealers Advertisement: The Highway Traffic Safety Institute  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2016, 03:59
fozzzy wrote:
Can someone please explain this question Confused between Option C and D.



D states that the difference is quite pronounced.

The question states that fewest among other cars.

Implying that the car has indeed a pronounced advantage in the no. of injuries/ accident

This is actually strengthening the argument. And can't be the answer
_________________

Kudos if I helped ;)

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 03 Jan 2016
Posts: 77
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Automobile Dealers Advertisement: The Highway Traffic Safety Institute  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2016, 00:38
anuramm wrote:
Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review, 2nd Edition

Practice Question
Question No.: 24
Page: 124
Difficulty:


Automobile Dealer's Advertisement:

The Highway Traffic Safety Institute reports that the PZ 1000 has the fewest injuries per accident of any car in its class. This shows that the PZ 1000 is one of the safest cars available today.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument in the advertisement?

(A) The Highway Traffic Safety Institute report listed many cars in other classes that had more injuries per accident than did the PZ 1000.
(B) In recently years many more PZ 1000s have been sold than have any other kind of car in its class.
(C) Cars in the class to which the PZ 1000 belongs are more likely to be involved in accidents than are other types of cars.
(D) The difference between the number of injuries per accident for the PZ 1000 and that for other cars in its class is quite pronounced.
(E) The Highway Traffic Safety Institute issues reports only once a year.


Tricky one: author states that PZ1000 suffered fewest injuries per accident in its class. therefore it is one of the safest car.

What if class to which PZ1000 belongs, other car suffers injuries such as 1000000000 in a month :-D and PZ1000 suffers 100000 accident in a month. Though PZ1000 suffers fewest accident. Do you think you would sit in such a car ??

Option C is what we want.
Director
Director
User avatar
G
Joined: 04 Sep 2015
Posts: 510
Location: India
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: Automobile Dealers Advertisement: The Highway Traffic Safety Institute  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2017, 15:36
Automobile Dealer's Advertisement:

The Highway Traffic Safety Institute reports that the PZ 1000 has the fewest injuries per accident of any car in its class. This shows that the PZ 1000 is one of the safest cars available today.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument in the advertisement?

(A) The Highway Traffic Safety Institute report listed many cars in other classes that had more injuries per accident than did the PZ 1000.
each clss has its highest and the lowest. does not weaken

(B) In recently years many more PZ 1000s have been sold than have any other kind of car in its class.
the number of cars sold is out of scope we are focusing on the accident data
(C) Cars in the class to which the PZ 1000 belongs are more likely to be involved in accidents than are other types of cars.
the choice weakens the argument by stating that the data collected for the PZ1000s is lot more then athe other cars,that means that the accident data is larger than the other cars it means that the car may have large number of injuries or less number of injuries ,this weakens the argument.

(D) The difference between the number of injuries per accident for the PZ 1000 and that for other cars in its class is quite pronounced.
does not weaken.

(E) The Highway Traffic Safety Institute issues reports only once a year.
irrelevant.
Current Student
avatar
P
Joined: 17 Jun 2016
Posts: 508
Location: India
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Automobile Dealers Advertisement: The Highway Traffic Safety Institute  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2017, 07:05
W (Weaken): Conclusion PZ1000 is the safest car
Missing info : Is the class in which PZ1000 belongs to the safest class among all classes of cars?


(A) The Highway Traffic Safety Institute report listed many cars in other classes that had more injuries per accident than did the PZ 1000.
Actually supporting the conclusion to some extent.

(B) In recent years many more PZ 1000s have been sold than have any other kind of car in its class.
Irrelevant, as the premise made a point about safety in terms of injuries per accident and not total injuries or total accidents.

(C) Cars in the class to which the PZ 1000 belongs are more likely to be involved in accidents than are other types of cars.
Perfect Weakener. It says, the car belongs to ‘most accident prone’ category / class. So being safest in this category does not make it safest of all the classes

(D) The difference between the number of injuries per accident for the PZ 1000 and that for other cars in its class is quite pronounced.
Okay the difference is pronounced but on is it in favour of PZ1000 or against it ?
Half information ….Can’t help answering the question.

(E) The Highway Traffic Safety Institute issues reports only once a year.
Irrelevant.
_________________

Compilation of Blogs by Mike Mcgarry - Magoosh

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Status: Final Call! Will Achieve Target ANyHow This Tym! :)
Joined: 05 Jan 2016
Posts: 81
Location: India
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.8
Reviews Badge
Re: Automobile Dealers Advertisement: The Highway Traffic Safety Institute  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2017, 07:34
What do we mean when we say that the difference is quite pronounced??

D. The difference between the number of injuries per accident for the PZ 1000 and that for other cars in its class is quite pronounced.

As per my understanding, it means that there is quite a difference between the number of injuries per accident for the PZ 1000 and that for other cars in its class. So, it strengthens above conclusion.

Can someone comment on this?? I am not getting the actual meaning of this option? mikemcgarry
_________________

Regards,
Varun


Trying my best..... will succeed definitely! :)

The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long.
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful. :)

Do Check OG 2017 SC Solutions - http://gmatwithcj.com/solutions-gmat-official-guide-2017-sentence-correction-questions/

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4488
Re: Automobile Dealers Advertisement: The Highway Traffic Safety Institute  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2017, 11:50
1
vnigam21 wrote:
What do we mean when we say that the difference is quite pronounced??

D. The difference between the number of injuries per accident for the PZ 1000 and that for other cars in its class is quite pronounced.

As per my understanding, it means that there is quite a difference between the number of injuries per accident for the PZ 1000 and that for other cars in its class. So, it strengthens above conclusion.

Can someone comment on this?? I am not getting the actual meaning of this option? mikemcgarry

Dear vnigam21

I'm happy to respond. :-) Like all official questions, this one is brilliant.

First of all, you are correct in the basic word usage. The word "pronounced" is an idiomatic intensifier with a few words, such as "difference." A "pronounced difference" is a fancy way to say "a very big difference" or "quite a difference."

We already know that the PZ 1000 has fewer accidents than other cars in its class, and (D) emphasizes this: it has many many fewer accidents than other cars in its class. Thus, it is really far and away the best in its class. But, that still leave the issue: how safe is this class of cars? If this is a class of the most accident prone cars on the road, then being the best in that class would not really be a ringing endorsement. Because we are doubt on this, (D) is not the strongest strengthener. By contrast, (C) nails this issue, and is the best answer.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep


Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Status: Final Call! Will Achieve Target ANyHow This Tym! :)
Joined: 05 Jan 2016
Posts: 81
Location: India
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.8
Reviews Badge
Re: Automobile Dealers Advertisement: The Highway Traffic Safety Institute  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2017, 20:12
I am convinced that option C is the best answer. But after going this thread what I can see is that most of the people have commented for option E is that its irrelevant.

(E) The Highway Traffic Safety Institute issues reports only once a year.

But as per my understanding its not irrelevant. It also slightly weakens the conclusion of the argument. But it is not as good a option as option C. Can someone comment on this option, in more detail? chiranjeev
_________________

Regards,
Varun


Trying my best..... will succeed definitely! :)

The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long.
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful. :)

Do Check OG 2017 SC Solutions - http://gmatwithcj.com/solutions-gmat-official-guide-2017-sentence-correction-questions/

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4488
Re: Automobile Dealers Advertisement: The Highway Traffic Safety Institute  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 13:22
vnigam21 wrote:
I am convinced that option C is the best answer. But after going this thread what I can see is that most of the people have commented for option E is that its irrelevant.

(E) The Highway Traffic Safety Institute issues reports only once a year.

But as per my understanding its not irrelevant. It also slightly weakens the conclusion of the argument. But it is not as good a option as option C. Can someone comment on this option, in more detail? chiranjeev

Dear vnigam21,

I'm happy to help. :-)

In connection with this question, I will recommend this blog article:
GMAT Critical Reasoning and Outside Knowledge
Students have the mistaken impression that all outside knowledge is irrelevant to the GMAT CR. Yes, very specific knowledge is irrelevant: in this case, we can't even have specific knowledge about the PZ 1000, because it's entirely a work of fiction. Nevertheless, it's very important to have a real-world business sense.

For example, how long does it take to redesign a car? What is the process from drawing board to released product available to consumers? If you plan to get an MBA, this is an excellent thing to know and understand, not only for cars but for all kinds of products. Business schools prefer that people walk in with these basic kinds of knowledge already, and the GMAT rewards such knowledge.

Generally, from design to finished product, for a car, takes 2-3 years. Toyota is an exceptional company: they can have something out and on the road in a year, which is simply mind-blowing.

OK, that's some relevant real world knowledge.

Now, let's look at this argument. The advertiser claims that the PZ 1000 is a safe as a kitten. What's wrong with this claim?

You say that (E) is not irrelevant.
(E) The Highway Traffic Safety Institute issues reports only once a year.

Are you imagining that the car's design might change, inside of year's time, from something very safe to something no so safe? Given the sheer time span that it takes to redesign a particular car, this seems irrelevant.

You see, outside general knowledge about how industries work is not so much helpful for getting the answer, but it does make the irrelevant information a little clearer.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep


Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Mannheim Thread Master
User avatar
S
Status: It's now or never
Joined: 10 Feb 2017
Posts: 192
Location: India
GMAT 1: 650 Q40 V39
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Automobile Dealers Advertisement: The Highway Traffic Safety Institute  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2017, 22:14
1
Answer choice 'C' only weakens the argument.
_________________

2017-2018 MBA Deadlines

Threadmaster for B-school Discussions
Class of 2019: Mannheim Business School
Class 0f 2020: HHL Leipzig

BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 28 Mar 2017
Posts: 1226
Location: India
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
CAT Tests
Re: Automobile Dealers Advertisement: The Highway Traffic Safety Institute  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2017, 12:04
Automobile Dealer's Advertisement:

The Highway Traffic Safety Institute reports that the PZ 1000 has the fewest injuries per accident of any car in its class. This shows that the PZ 1000 is one of the safest cars available today.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument in the advertisement?

(A) The Highway Traffic Safety Institute report listed many cars in other classes that had more injuries per accident than did the PZ 1000.
If other classes of cars have more # of accidents, then this option will strengthen the argument.

(B) In recently years many more PZ 1000s have been sold than have any other kind of car in its class.
Out of scope

(C) Cars in the class to which the PZ 1000 belongs are more likely to be involved in accidents than are other types of cars.
Correct. If this segment of cars are involved in more accidents, then PZ1000 can't be safer than other types of car. This argument is basically a causal type, since the author compares the # of accidents within a type of car and then proclaims it as the BEST amongst all cars. This option rightly compares the segment of cars to which PZ1000 belongs with the other segment of cars.

(D) The difference between the number of injuries per accident for the PZ 1000 and that for other cars in its class is quite pronounced.
This definitely strengthens the argument

(E) The Highway Traffic Safety Institute issues reports only once a year.
Out of scope
_________________

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!
Preparing for RC my way
RC Summary Activity - New Project to imporve RC Skills
Bloomberg's US Bschool Ranking

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant | 2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation | 3. LSAT RC compilation | 4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal | 5. QOTD RC (Carcass) | 6. Challange OG RC | 7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

SVP
SVP
avatar
P
Joined: 12 Dec 2016
Posts: 1674
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Automobile Dealers Advertisement: The Highway Traffic Safety Institute  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2017, 09:49
there is no pattern in this question, but test takers must use logic and common sense to see the weakener.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 17 Sep 2017
Posts: 56
Re: Automobile Dealers Advertisement: The Highway Traffic Safety Institute  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2017, 01:21
I chose C.
The argument goes on like this " Peter is the best student in class A => Peter is the best student of the whole school"
But there's a big problem here. What if class A is one of the worst class of the school? => break the argument


Back to argument:
PZ2000 is the safest in in class -> It's the safest cars among all
What if its class (PZ2000's class) is the least safest car class like these cars belonged to this class are more prone to accidents?
-> Break the argument

=> Option C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 29 Jun 2017
Posts: 428
Re: Automobile Dealers Advertisement: The Highway Traffic Safety Institute  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2017, 03:31
anuramm wrote:
Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review, 2nd Edition

Practice Question
Question No.: 24
Page: 124
Difficulty:


Automobile Dealer's Advertisement:

The Highway Traffic Safety Institute reports that the PZ 1000 has the fewest injuries per accident of any car in its class. This shows that the PZ 1000 is one of the safest cars available today.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument in the advertisement?

(A) The Highway Traffic Safety Institute report listed many cars in other classes that had more injuries per accident than did the PZ 1000.
(B) In recently years many more PZ 1000s have been sold than have any other kind of car in its class.
(C) Cars in the class to which the PZ 1000 belongs are more likely to be involved in accidents than are other types of cars.
(D) The difference between the number of injuries per accident for the PZ 1000 and that for other cars in its class is quite pronounced.
(E) The Highway Traffic Safety Institute issues reports only once a year.


except for inference question, all other questions in cr can be solve by criticization.
wheneveer we see these kinds of question, try to criticize the argument. in which condition, the argument fall apart. frankly speaking, practicing cricticization is extremely helpful for cr section.

how to criticize this argument. your criticization you prethink, may be different from the criticization in the answer, but your criticization still strongly help bring you closer to the answer .

in this problem, I can attack argument by saying that the statistic is not good. then, going down to the answer choices, i do not see any match. but I realize that C also attack the argument because an new idea different from my criticization emerge. the idea is that the conclusion come from only the statistic in one class of car. C is bingo.

I want to illustrate the process of doing a cr problem. the knowlege of kinds of argument such as causal argument, plan argument, history argument just help you criticize. do not remember the formular of this argument.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 17 Feb 2016
Posts: 13
Re: Automobile Dealers Advertisement: The Highway Traffic Safety Institute  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2018, 06:27
assume c is true-
100 accidents and 100 injuries so 1 injury per accident
80 accidents and 90 injuries - more than 1 injury per accident
so even if less injury per accident, we cant say its safe - is this reasoning correct(i doubt though! )
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
User avatar
P
Status: GMAT and GRE tutor
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 2097
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Automobile Dealers Advertisement: The Highway Traffic Safety Institute  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2018, 15:14
deepakgarg1373 wrote:
assume c is true-
100 accidents and 100 injuries so 1 injury per accident
80 accidents and 90 injuries - more than 1 injury per accident
so even if less injury per accident, we cant say its safe - is this reasoning correct(i doubt though! )

As is often the case on GMAT CR, the key to this question lies in the language details.

The conclusion is that "the PZ 1000 is one of the safest cars available today."
The evidence is that "the PZ 1000 has the fewest injuries per accident of any car in its class."

Based on the evidence, the PZ 1000 might be one of the safest cars in its class, but does that necessarily make it one of safest cars available today?

PZ 1000 might be the safest within its class. But if it belongs to a particularly dangerous class, then PZ 1000 still might be more dangerous than most cars in OTHER classes.

Choice (C) tells us that PZ 1000 belongs to a particularly dangerous class, so it is the best answer.

I hope that helps!
_________________

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Director
Director
User avatar
D
Joined: 11 Feb 2015
Posts: 566
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Automobile Dealers Advertisement: The Highway Traffic Safety Institute  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2018, 06:06
Question Stem says:-

The Highway Traffic Safety Institute reports that the PZ 1000 has the fewest injuries per accident of any car in its class.
This shows that the PZ 1000 is one of the safest cars available today.

Problem with the argument:- when evidence mentions that "PZ 1000 has the fewest injuries per accident of any car in its class" then it cannot generalized and the claim that its the safest car among all classes of cars is stretching it by too much.

Option (C) identifies this gap in logic perfectly - Cars in the class to which the PZ 1000 belongs are more likely to be involved in accidents than are other types of cars.

PZ1000 might be the safest among the riskier cars. But the truth remains a risky car is a risky car!! Option is correct!!
_________________

"Please hit :thumbup: +1 Kudos if you like this post" :student_man:

_________________
Manish :geek:

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me"

Director
Director
User avatar
D
Joined: 11 Feb 2015
Posts: 566
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Automobile Dealers Advertisement: The Highway Traffic Safety Institute  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2018, 04:22
Official Answer:

Argument Evaluation

Situation An advertisement claims that the PZ 1000 is one of the safest cars available; it bases this claim on the Highway Traffic Safety Institute's report that this model had the fewest injuries per accident of any car in its class.

Reasoning What point weakens the advertisement's claim? Examine closely the difference between the report and the conclusion the advertisement draws from it. While the Highway Traffic Safety Institute compares the PZ 1000 to other cars in its class, the advertisement compares the PZ 1000 to all cars available today. What if the class of cars to which the PZ 1000 belongs is a more dangerous class of cars? In that case, while the PZ 1000 may the safest car of a dangerous class, it cannot be said to be one of the safest cars available.

Option C is the Correct answer. This statement properly identifies a weakness in the advertisement's argument.

Why are A, B, D and E wrong:-

A - The higher incidence of injuries per accident in other classes of cars supports rather than weakens the advertisement's argument.

B - The fact that the PZ 1000 is the best selling car in its class might be explained by the fact that it is the safest car in its class, but if this has any effect on the argument at all, it would be to strengthen rather than weaken it.

D - This slightly strengthens, rather than weakens, the argument.

E - The frequency of the reports is irrelevant to the advertisement's claim.
_________________

"Please hit :thumbup: +1 Kudos if you like this post" :student_man:

_________________
Manish :geek:

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me"

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Automobile Dealers Advertisement: The Highway Traffic Safety Institute &nbs [#permalink] 20 Oct 2018, 04:22

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 39 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Automobile Dealers Advertisement: The Highway Traffic Safety Institute

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.