Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:18 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
 Q49  V45
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Tepper '11
Send PM
Re: Background Checks - What's the deal? [#permalink]
Just be honest and there should be no problems. Once you start making stuff up, you will get caught in a web which you cannot explain away.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Ok awesome that is reassuring. The other question I have is - I had a lot of jobs during college and I barely remember my start dates and salary. Does this background check generally go as far back as college workstudy jobs and what not?
Director
Director
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
rhyme wrote:
So unless you happen to take the "the" out of psychotherapist, I wouldn't don't get hung up on this background check.

Great post overall, but this ending is just sublime. :lol: :lol: :lol:

*kudos thoughts sent*
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
hsampath wrote:
rhyme, that's interesting. One thing is a couple of my employers have been consulting companies who do not care where I live since I am required to travel to a client site as required. My resume indicates the location as the location of my HQ, but in reality I might have been living in another place and traveling to yet another. So, what location should I be giving on my apps/resume? I paid taxes out of my state of residence. My current company I know registers the company in the location where the consultants live. However, not sure about another company I worked for a few years back.

Thanks.

I saw that many apps had a spot for the City/State/Country of the company and another area for your current address - that should let you document your address as well as the company's...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Send PM
hsampath wrote:
rhyme, that's interesting. One thing is a couple of my employers have been consulting companies who do not care where I live since I am required to travel to a client site as required. My resume indicates the location as the location of my HQ, but in reality I might have been living in another place and traveling to yet another. So, what location should I be giving on my apps/resume? I paid taxes out of my state of residence. My current company I know registers the company in the location where the consultants live. However, not sure about another company I worked for a few years back.

Thanks.

Its a common issue for consultants. I've paid taxes in multiple states in a given year. Don't worry about it.

That said, you might want to consider listing different cities if it adds some diversity, e.g. if you did anything internationally, I'd highlight it. (If its Topeka and Nashville, dont bother).

If I were you, I'd also just list the city you live in rather than the HQ, not because of a background check, but because I'd hate to go to some interview and have the guy start rambling about how he's from Denver too (or wherever) and 2 minutes into his story I have to stop him and explain that I don't live in Denver and I've never been there but I listed the HQ on my resume and I'm actually from Topeka.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
loathetheapps wrote:
Ok awesome that is reassuring. The other question I have is - I had a lot of jobs during college and I barely remember my start dates and salary. Does this background check generally go as far back as college workstudy jobs and what not?

No, don't worry about those. Put them on the app, estimate as best you can, and forget about it.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
rca215 wrote:
rhyme wrote:
So unless you happen to take the "the" out of psychotherapist, I wouldn't don't get hung up on this background check.

Great post overall, but this ending is just sublime. :lol: :lol: :lol:

*kudos thoughts sent*

NSFW
If you like that, check out www.tshirthell.com
NSFW
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
 Q49  V41
Send PM
what kind of background check is done for international applicants? I understand that many B schools use kroll, but what is the extent of background check?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
devil420 wrote:
what kind of background check is done for international applicants? I understand that many B schools use kroll, but what is the extent of background check?

I dont know, but I'd bet its quite similar.
Director
Director
 Q49  V45
Send PM
Quote:
Its a common issue for consultants. I've paid taxes in multiple states in a given year. Don't worry about it.

That said, you might want to consider listing different cities if it adds some diversity, e.g. if you did anything internationally, I'd highlight it. (If its Topeka and Nashville, dont bother).

If I were you, I'd also just list the city you live in rather than the HQ, not because of a background check, but because I'd hate to go to some interview and have the guy start rambling about how he's from Denver too (or wherever) and 2 minutes into his story I have to stop him and explain that I don't live in Denver and I've never been there but I listed the HQ on my resume and I'm actually from Topeka.

Thank you rhyme. I almost missed this post. As always, your posts bring a smile during this grueling process. I hadn't thought of it that way about the resume, but makes sense. The place I live in could pretty much be Topeka :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: Yale '16
Send PM
Hi.. I am a self employed attorney based out of India. The nature of my work experience includes representing Clients before Courts of Law, providing legal consultancy as well as assisting the Administration in framing regulations and policies. I have also initiated several small scale social welfare projects.

The apprehension that I have is that owing to me being self-employed and the nature of my work experience being contractual, the verification process would be whole lot trickier for me. I would greatly appreciate if anyone could throw some light on what would the verification agency/B - schools require me to produce to corroborate the significant cases that I have handled, the policies and regulations I may have advised on or formulated for the Government as well as the social welfare projects which that I have started. It not like each and every assignment or project that I may be undertaken would be documented and can be corroborated.

Thanks in anticipation
GMAT Club Bot