Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 20:47 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 20:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Bad or good idea to change jobs before applying? [#permalink]
Changing jobs before you apply isn't the end of the world but only if it materially improves where you're coming from. In your case, you're adding a lot more confusion to your story in my opinion. And you can't even really lean on the fact that it's a good move for you because it's completely unrelated. If you were in consulting at...IBM, and you took a new job at Bain, then I, as the adcom, would think that was a great decision. But you're going from an apple to an orange. I actually just had this conversation with a client yesterday but he's considering a shift from one company to another similar company in the same function but at a higher level. THAT makes sense. Personally, I think you consider sitting tight.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
GPA: 3.65
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Bad or good idea to change jobs before applying? [#permalink]
If you don't want to be in a mortgage company long term I don't see an upside either for applications or for recruiting after school. You run the risk of burning bridges at the old or new company, and it is a tradeoff of showing loyalty and long term growth at a company vs a new role on your resume. Both can potentially be valuable in recruiting.

If you get into a good b-school recruiters will assume you have quant skills or you can showcase it with your GMAT. The companies that REALLY care for it (typically IB, HF or other high finance, some research roles, etc.) likely do so through some combination of a technical interview and test scores.

The only exception to me if I were in your shoes would be if you want to break into finance and the mortgage role is involved in the underwriting/credit side (not sales); that could be great experience. Of course, this is all assuming that compensation is similar for both roles.

Of course, it's your career, and if you feel the tug to make a move go for it!
GMAT Club Bot
Bad or good idea to change jobs before applying? [#permalink]