Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:03 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

BC (Full Ride) vs. Tepper ($40K/year)?

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 3127 [1]
Given Kudos: 893
GRE 1: Q169 V154
Send PM
BC (Full Ride) vs. Tepper ($40K/year)? [#permalink]
Kudos
My 2 cents:
This is a tricky situation. If you had asked me this question an year back, my response might have been different. But anyways, here is what i think now that I have been at BU (not BC!):

1) The most important part of your MBA journey would be YOUR FREAKING CLASS i.e. your Classmates. And it is obvious that on an average your classmates at Tepper would be much more accomplished and astute than at BC. They will push you to do things- out of your comfort zone and help you find your niche.
2)The value $56k is not consequential as you are a US citizen and would not have to got through the arduous immigration reforms in parallel of your job search.
3) Tepper is no HBS. But it is way better than BC.
4) Irrespective of whichever school you choose, you have to HUSTLE to get a gig you desire. Oh, you better trust me on this one
:dazed :shh:

If I were you, I would be on booking my flight to Pittsburgh! Tepper all the way..

Originally posted by stonecold on 08 Jun 2019, 15:53.
Last edited by stonecold on 08 Jun 2019, 21:36, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 501 [1]
Given Kudos: 72
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Re: BC (Full Ride) vs. Tepper ($40K/year)? [#permalink]
Kudos
Fortheloveofmusic wrote:
I know the answer is pretty obvious at first glance, but regarding my specific situation it may be different:

1. I will be moving to the U.S from abroad (U.S citizen living abroad for most of my life).
2. I have family in Boston.
3. I am looking to switch careers from Engineering to Finance.
4. My post-MBA career goal is not FAANG or MBB or IB.
5. Not pursuing consulting at all for the time being, maybe 5-10 years down the road?
6. Tepper will cost me $56K more than BC.

Any help is appreciated.

Hello Fortheloveofmusic

I think even with your specific situation, the answer is still the same and obvious. :)

BC is good for Finance, but Tepper is way better.

https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-sc ... a-rankings

https://www.bloomberg.com/business-schools/2018/

https://www.forbes.com/business-schools/list/#tab:rank

MBA is all about prestige, and CMU would win even from academic point of view.

You could have applied to Quant program at CMU, MS in Computational Finance, since you want described transition, but you didn't...meaning MBA degree has value for you and we all here know where value of MBA degree hides, networking and prestige of program/insituition.

https://www.cmu.edu/mscf/

If you were international student, then you could think twice, since you are US citizen, you are going to forgive that $56K, for much better future. ;)

CMU has very strong Finance department :geek: , from which you can benefit by taking some additional classes and as already being said, CMU cohort will challenge you more, you will become better and more skilled person, after that whole experience.

If I were you, I would certainly go to CMU Tepper. :cool:

Actually If I were me, I would again go to CMU Tepper :-D :cool: even if I had to take some loans.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Kudos
While I agree that MBA is about prestige, I think it really comes down to who you are. I've seen a Booth grad who couldn't land anything and had to go back to the previous employer for a marginal (I mean marginal, think nothing) salary increase and no promotion. He'd been better off without MBA. He doesn't even publicize that he has an MBA from Booth. On the other hand, I've seen a top 50 grad who's doing exceptionally well at a consulting firm.

While I am aware that the two examples I provided are probably extreme of the both cases, I think if you have valid quantitative ($$$) and qualitative (personal) reasons to prefer less brand name over stronger brand name, then choosing less brand might be better for that person. Just my .02
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts