GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 18 Jan 2020, 10:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

BC (Full Ride) vs. Tepper ($40K/year)?

new topic post reply Update application status  

• 27% [3]
  • 72% [8]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
BC (Full Ride) vs. Tepper ($40K/year)?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2019, 09:59
I know the answer is pretty obvious at first glance, but regarding my specific situation it may be different:

1. I will be moving to the U.S from abroad (U.S citizen living abroad for most of my life).
2. I have family in Boston.
3. I am looking to switch careers from Engineering to Finance.
4. My post-MBA career goal is not FAANG or MBB or IB.
5. Not pursuing consulting at all for the time being, maybe 5-10 years down the road?
6. Tepper will cost me $56K more than BC.

Any help is appreciated.
Manager
Manager
B
Schools: Stern '21 (A$)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.4
Re: BC (Full Ride) vs. Tepper ($40K/year)?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2019, 06:35
Few questions.

1. Finance, by that do you mean Corporate Finance? You said no IB, so assume Corp Finance.
2. How strong is your relationship to the family? Will you live with them (potentially save on a rent)?
3. Post MBA, do you plan to stay in Boston for long term?

If you say yes to two or more, I think BC is the winner.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2019, 15:52
Hi and congrats on your admits!

The answer depends a bit on what you want to get out from your MBA. Hiring MBA programs tend to supply more recruiting opportunities. They tend to attract a higher caliber of students, on average and a higher caliber of professors. All of these three things come down to networking and recruiting. At the same time, if you are a sponsored student or your family can help you with an internship or a job opportunity, the rank of the program may not be as critical. Being a US citizen, will help as you know it’s subject to H1B regulations and other complications.

If you were an older applicant with more work experience, the caliber of the program probably means less. Not sure if you’re over 30 or mid 20s. Again if your family can assist with getting introduced and helping you to network with in Boston area, You may as well save money. ESP if you are coming without savings and will have to use student loans for everything.

The flipside is that higher ranked programs tend to have tighter communities and more engaged alumni base. Those alumni am more responsive and usually more patriotic :-). As with everything in life, the more selective and exclusive, the greater is pride of belonging to that group. Also higher rank programs tend to have more resources for their career services and us more availability and hours, allowing students who need help do you have multiple meetings per week.

One strange thing you wrote, is that you don’t have high aspirations. Why? Are you just being realistic and modest? I think it’s important to be realistic and Not chasing opportunities you have no business chasing but there is a lot to be said about chance and luck in business school. Don’t low ball yourself - aim high and you can always settle later. You are one of a few select people and making a huge career investment - be bold :-)

Back in my day, if I could pull off the cash and loans, I would have gone into Tepper. I was poor and being even poorer was not something I was scared of. I was already poor :-) and very bullish about myself. I’m not the one who gets the latest iPhone model or the best computer but I would’ve aired on the higher rank side. Now my opinion is probably diff but I have to step into your shoes.

PS. Also do some research. Going into consulting in five or 10 years is probably not realistic. They mostly recruit associates and lower level folks. Overtime consulting companies start getting rid of their more seasoned employees because they cost more to maintain and usually not as willing to put in long hours. The whole consulting model is a pyramid and not designed (in general) to recruit older folks unless you can attract clients somehow by being famous or having connections that can drive additional business. Most people can’t handle the pressure for too long. Few last past a 10-year tenure.

Posted from my mobile device
Schools: Boston U '20 (M)
GRE 1: Q169 V154
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 08 Jun 2019, 21:36
My 2 cents:
This is a tricky situation. If you had asked me this question an year back, my response might have been different. But anyways, here is what i think now that I have been at BU (not BC!):

1) The most important part of your MBA journey would be YOUR FREAKING CLASS i.e. your Classmates. And it is obvious that on an average your classmates at Tepper would be much more accomplished and astute than at BC. They will push you to do things- out of your comfort zone and help you find your niche.
2)The value $56k is not consequential as you are a US citizen and would not have to got through the arduous immigration reforms in parallel of your job search.
3) Tepper is no HBS. But it is way better than BC.
4) Irrespective of whichever school you choose, you have to HUSTLE to get a gig you desire. Oh, you better trust me on this one
:dazed :shh:

If I were you, I would be on booking my flight to Pittsburgh! Tepper all the way..

Originally posted by stonecold on 08 Jun 2019, 15:53.
Last edited by stonecold on 08 Jun 2019, 21:36, edited 1 time in total.
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: Finance
Re: BC (Full Ride) vs. Tepper ($40K/year)?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2019, 16:18
Fortheloveofmusic wrote:
I know the answer is pretty obvious at first glance, but regarding my specific situation it may be different:

1. I will be moving to the U.S from abroad (U.S citizen living abroad for most of my life).
2. I have family in Boston.
3. I am looking to switch careers from Engineering to Finance.
4. My post-MBA career goal is not FAANG or MBB or IB.
5. Not pursuing consulting at all for the time being, maybe 5-10 years down the road?
6. Tepper will cost me $56K more than BC.

Any help is appreciated.

Hello Fortheloveofmusic

I think even with your specific situation, the answer is still the same and obvious. :)

BC is good for Finance, but Tepper is way better.

https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-sc ... a-rankings

https://www.bloomberg.com/business-schools/2018/

https://www.forbes.com/business-schools/list/#tab:rank

MBA is all about prestige, and CMU would win even from academic point of view.

You could have applied to Quant program at CMU, MS in Computational Finance, since you want described transition, but you didn't...meaning MBA degree has value for you and we all here know where value of MBA degree hides, networking and prestige of program/insituition.

https://www.cmu.edu/mscf/

If you were international student, then you could think twice, since you are US citizen, you are going to forgive that $56K, for much better future. ;)

CMU has very strong Finance department :geek: , from which you can benefit by taking some additional classes and as already being said, CMU cohort will challenge you more, you will become better and more skilled person, after that whole experience.

If I were you, I would certainly go to CMU Tepper. :cool:

Actually If I were me, I would again go to CMU Tepper :-D :cool: even if I had to take some loans.
Manager
Manager
B
Schools: Stern '21 (A$)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.4

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2019, 18:26
While I agree that MBA is about prestige, I think it really comes down to who you are. I've seen a Booth grad who couldn't land anything and had to go back to the previous employer for a marginal (I mean marginal, think nothing) salary increase and no promotion. He'd been better off without MBA. He doesn't even publicize that he has an MBA from Booth. On the other hand, I've seen a top 50 grad who's doing exceptionally well at a consulting firm.

While I am aware that the two examples I provided are probably extreme of the both cases, I think if you have valid quantitative ($$$) and qualitative (personal) reasons to prefer less brand name over stronger brand name, then choosing less brand might be better for that person. Just my .02
GMAT Club Bot
BC (Full Ride) vs. Tepper ($40K/year)?   [#permalink] 20 Jun 2019, 18:26

new topic post reply Update application status