Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:10 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2373 [113]
Given Kudos: 6
 Q48  V28
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [40]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [15]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Re: Because Halley’s comet changes orbit slightly during the seventy-six [#permalink]
Kudos
sagarsabnis wrote:
163. Because Halley’s comet changes orbit slightly during the seventy-six-year interval between passing close to Earth, it may veer onto a collision course with a planet sometime in the distant future.
(A) between passing
(B) of passing
(C) between its passes
(D) of its passes
(E) as it passes

completely lost it please can any 1 explain

C is correct.

The subject of the sentence is "Halley's comet", but the sentence describes the path of the comet. A pronoun is required to refer to "comet's path/pass"
"its" correctly refers to Comet's passes or passing (the comet's action)

The options are narrowed down to C and D. D is better. "between" correctly describes the comet's action between 2 stages.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 337 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
Re: Because Halley’s comet changes orbit slightly during the seventy-six [#permalink]
I too chose E, can someone explain more why C is good? some explanation is there above but kind of confusing really.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1140 [2]
Given Kudos: 106
GMAT 2: 720  Q50  V36
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
duttarupam wrote:
Because Halley’s comet changes orbit slightly during the seventy-six-year interval between the comet's orbits close to Earth, it may veer onto a collision course with a planet sometime in the distant future.

Here in subordinate clause, its refer to comet's not comet's orbit's. Comet's orbit doesn't pass in interval close to Earth, but the comet does.

how to define an interval - (interval between two passes of comet close to Earth[*consecutive is implicit]) <== This is what is implied in here by using "between its passes".

Also, 'it' in last clause again refers to Comet not Comet's orbit.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3670 [5]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Quote:
Because Halley’s comet changes orbit slightly during the seventy-six-year interval between passing close to Earth, it may veer onto a collision course with a planet sometime in the distant future.
(A) between passing
(B) of passing
(C) between its passes
(D) of its passes
(E) as it passes

Step 1) Figure out what the sentence is trying to say. Basically there's a 76 year waiting period between each pass.

Step 2) Recognize that "between passing" doesn't make sense. I was initially looking for something in the form of "between passing [X] and verb-ING [Y]" but did not see any of that.

Step 3) Glance through answer choices to see what sounds right. Although (E) sounds right, it changes the original meaning of the sentence. With (E), it's saying that during the 76 years, the comet passes the Earth. It's like saying it takes 76 years for the comet to finish passing the Earth--this doesn't make sense.

Step 4) What we're trying to say is that the comet passes....and then there's a silent period of 76 years...and then the comet passes again. Specifically during this time period "between its passes" blah blah blah.

Step 5) So "between its passes" is most appropriate. Answer (C)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 5420 [2]
Given Kudos: 40
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
OA should be C.

In E, "as it passes" imples that the Comet takes 76 yrs to pass close to Earth. If thats true then people will book trips in advance :lol:

So, E is definitly wrong. We are discussing about an interval, which is calculated b/w 2 occurances. So, I think C is correct.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1832 [0]
Given Kudos: 370
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Health Care)
Send PM
Marcab wrote:
Because Halley’s comet changes orbit slightly during the seventy-six-year interval between passing close to Earth, it may veer onto a collision course with a planet sometime in the distant future.
(A) between passing
(B) of passing
(C) between its passes
(D) of its passes
(E) as it passes

Source: Jamboree

the sentence talks about the change in comets orbit leading to a future possible collision.

I earlier thought if the sentence said 'Because Halley’s comet changes orbit slightly as it passes close to earth,it may.............' here as is used to signify the time when the comet changes orbit. But then 'during the 76 yr interval' wouldn't fit in. 76 yr interval in what?

but may be the author is trying to say -- that the comet passes earth after the interval of every 76 years and during this period it changes course slightly , which may cause a collision........
So this seems to make sense. So IMO it is D (though 'of its passes' sounds bad) passes=when the comet passes earth the 2nd time after 76 yrs
Because Halley’s comet changes orbit slightly during the seventy-six-year interval of its passes close to Earth, it may veer onto a collision course with a planet sometime in the distant future.

Editing my post-- just saw the explanation by Stacy Koprince and a little caveat was added 'Please do not study stuff that you find on random web sites without sourcing or attribution as to the author of the material. If something feels weird or not GMAT-like, don't study it. '
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 161 [4]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
WE:Sales (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos