Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 04:13 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 04:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 283 [66]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 283 [22]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 498 [9]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 580 Q44 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 600 Q50 V22
GMAT 2: 650 Q49 V28
GPA: 3.39
Send PM
Re: Beginning in 1963 with General... [#permalink]
The Opening sentence describes the career , so going with option B .
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5230 [2]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
Kudos
anish123ster wrote:
Beginning in 1963 with General Motors and lasting until the end of a second stint with General Motors, which he helped successfully guide out of bankruptcy in 2009, Bob Lutz saw his career as one of the automotive industry's true visionaries span nearly fifty years, two continents, four separate automakers, and responsibility for countless industry innovations.

A)Bob Lutz saw his career as one of the automotive industry's true visionaries span nearly fifty years, two continents, four separate automakers, and responsibility for countless industry innovations

B)the career of Bob Lutz, one of the automotive industry's true visionaries, has spanned nearly fifty years, two continents, four separate automakers, and countless industry innovations

C)Bob Lutz's career as one of the automotive industry's true visionaries has spanned four separate automakers, two continents, and responsibility for countless industry innovations over nearly fifty years

D)the career of Bob Lutz, one of the automotive industry's true visionaries, spanned two continents over nearly fifty years, during which time Lutz was responsible for countless industry innovations at four separate automakers.

E)Bob Lutz has seen his career as one of the automotive industry's true visionaries span nearly fifty years, two continents, four separate automakers, and countless industry innovations that he was responsible for

Here's my 2 cents:

Beginning in 1963 with General Motors and lasting until the end of a second stint with General Motors --> Noun Modifier -> Ask what begain in 1963? It must be Career, not Bob Lutz himself. Hence, A and E Out.

C is out . Because, Bob Lutz career is not Automotive Industry's true Visionary. It is Bob who is true visionary. Hence, C is Illogical.

D is out. Because, It says that his career spanned two continents.. ?? Spanned means extension of something.. how career spanned two continents.. it can be spanned for a period of time, a logic that B says effectively.

Hence, B
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1858 [2]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Kudos
I would like to go with D....Lets wait fr the OA and than i ll post my explanation...But one thing to note i think a time frame is mentioned ie fifty years....so we must not use perfect tense with it. The only reason why i eliminated B....

Consider kudos if my post helps!!!!!!!!

Archit
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [3]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Re: Beginning in 1963 with General Motors and lasting until the [#permalink]
Kudos
anish123ster wrote:
Beginning in 1963 with General Motors and lasting until the end of a second stint with General Motors, which he helped successfully guide out of bankruptcy in 2009, Bob Lutz saw his career as one of the automotive industry's true visionaries span nearly fifty years, two continents, four separate automakers, and responsibility for countless industry innovations.

A)Bob Lutz saw his career as one of the automotive industry's true visionaries span nearly fifty years, two continents, four separate automakers, and responsibility for countless industry innovations

B)the career of Bob Lutz, one of the automotive industry's true visionaries, has spanned nearly fifty years, two continents, four separate automakers, and countless industry innovations

C)Bob Lutz's career as one of the automotive industry's true visionaries has spanned four separate automakers, two continents, and responsibility for countless industry innovations over nearly fifty years

D)the career of Bob Lutz, one of the automotive industry's true visionaries, spanned two continents over nearly fifty years, during which time Lutz was responsible for countless industry innovations at four separate automakers.

E)Bob Lutz has seen his career as one of the automotive industry's true visionaries span nearly fifty years, two continents, four separate automakers, and countless industry innovations that he was responsible for

please find Explanation below...

When they say, which 'he' helped, the career.... I mean who is he? It is obviously not the career is must be referring to Lutz. Don't we need Lutz to be openning the second part of the sentence after the modifier?

Would be very happy is someone could clarify

Cheers
J
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:

When they say, which 'he' helped, the career.... I mean who is he? It is obviously not the career is must be referring to Lutz. Don't we need Lutz to be openning the second part of the sentence after the modifier?

The exact point where I went wrong
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1527 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT Date: 08-01-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Experts,

I am still not clear why B is wrong? Can any one please clear difference between B and D..

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 498 [2]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 580 Q44 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Mountain14 wrote:
Experts,

I am still not clear why B is wrong? Can any one please clear difference between B and D..

Thanks

Thanks for the question, it made me realize the real problem is with the tense. Bob Lutz's career is over so a Simple Past tense spanned is required here. Both options B and C use Present Perfect tense has spanned which suggests that his career is still ongoing or that his tenure is unknown, which is not the case here. The sentence spells out the tenure and mentions that it is finished, so a Simple Past tense is required.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1527 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT Date: 08-01-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
prasun9 wrote:
Mountain14 wrote:
Experts,

Thanks

Thanks for the question, it made me realize the real problem is with the tense. Bob Lutz's career is over so a Simple Past tense spanned is required here. Both options B and C use Present Perfect tense has spanned which suggests that his career is still ongoing or that his tenure is unknown, which is not the case here. The sentence spells out the tenure and mentions that it is finished, so a Simple Past tense is required.

Oh Yeah... I remember now.. I read this in one of my note..

Thanks for reminding ....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 154 [1]
Given Kudos: 60
Schools: ISB '15
Send PM
Kudos
Hi,
Between B and C.
I accept the issue of tense and "spanned" should be used. However in option D - "spanned two continents over nearly fifty years" did not make sense to me, i thought it was very wordy and confusing.
Hence went with B. :(
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 154 [0]
Given Kudos: 60
Schools: ISB '15
Send PM
anish123ster wrote:

IMO D.

Option A and E, go out because we need to modify his career.
Among B,C and D we can detect parallelism error.
B and C makes his career parallel with spanned
1) nearly fifty years,
2) two continents,
3) four separate automakers,
4) and countless industry innovations
this is incorrect, this shows as if his career spanned across industry innovations, and not his innovations.

for the same reason C goes out.

D is clear.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 408
Schools: Smeal '17
Send PM
anish123ster wrote:

The "during which time" in option D sounds too odd to be correct and hence I chose B. It was very frustrating to discover that the correct answer was indeed D :o
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT Date: 08-28-2014
GPA: 3.86
WE:Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
anish123ster wrote:

IMO - D !!!

A) Modifier Issue
B) Structure Issue : As career itself has not spanned ... therefore wrong, Also Verb Tense Error ( Its a info statement, hence simple past must be use, instead of present perfect)
C) Wrong Modifier
D) Correct : Structure wise OK, Meaning make sense
E) Wrong Modifier

Regards
LS
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: ISB '17 NUS '18
Send PM
Daddydekker wrote:
Quote:

The exact point where I went wrong

Can someone explain ???. I didn't go wrong because of this reason but wasted a lot of time.
The Pronoun 'he' should be placed nearest to the antecedent ( which would ideally be 'Bob Lutz'). At the same time we have a participle modifier at the beginning of the sentence, which should ideally modify the career and not Bob Lutz.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.27
Send PM
jlgdr wrote:
anish123ster wrote:

Cheers
J

Why should it be ? He is mentioned in the non vital modifier .It has got nothing to do with first word appearing after comma. Slash the non vital modifier and see it makes no sense to put Bob Lutz after comma . The subject ( first word after comma ) is determined by the main clause . He ( pronoun ) merely denotes that somewhere a noun ( name ) should be mentioned ;;;;exactly the reason because of which I eliminated option C in 1 second without reading anymore.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [0]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
but D loose "two continents"

meaning is lost.

gmat will never choose an OA which correct but loose a meaning part.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.27
Send PM
thangvietnam wrote:
but D loose "two continents"

meaning is lost.

gmat will never choose an OA which correct but loose a meaning part.

2 continents is mentioned in D .
Wat exactly do you want to say ?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM

Bob did not begin and ended, his career did. So A and E are incorrect due to modifier error.

B)the career of Bob Lutz, one of the automotive industry's true visionaries,has spannednearly fifty years, two continents, four separate automakers, and countless industry innovations

his career started long back and ended later. So simple past tense is needed. has spanned......present perfect tense induces meaning error sa if it is happening til now.

has error repeats. Moreover Bob's career cannot cover automakers.

D)the career of Bob Lutz spanned two continents over nearly fifty years.
during these fifty years Lutz was responsible for countless industry innovations at four separate automakers.

Correct choice.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts