Last visit was: 14 Jul 2024, 07:17 It is currently 14 Jul 2024, 07:17
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1823 [5]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 838 [5]
Given Kudos: 2
GRE 1: Q800 V800

Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2775 [3]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 286 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
 Q47  V35
Send PM
Re: Being a United States Citizen since 1984 and born in Austria [#permalink]
C.

A> Being a United States citizen since 1984 and born in Austria in 1947, California governor Arnold Schwarzeneggar
B> Having been a United States citizen since 1984,he was born in AUstria in 1947;California governor Arnold Schwarzeneggar
C> Born in Austria 1947,California governor Arnold Schwarzeneggar became a United States citizen in 1984;he - Correct
D> Being born in Austria in 1947 and having been a United States citizen since 1984,California governor Arnold Schwarzeneggar
E > Having been born in Austria in 1947 and being a United States citizen since 1984,California governor Arnold Schwarzeneggar
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1823 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
C is the correct answer.

Thaks for explanation of having been. How about being ? when exactly being is used ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
+1 for C.

In C are we missing IN: Born in Austria 'IN' 1947
or sentence AS-IS correct?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 165 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Kudos
C is the only correct option I could see. However, in C, is the wording 'Born in Austria 1947' correct?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [1]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GPA: 3.65
WE:Project Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
Kudos
I picked E. In Option C there is no sequence of actions, everything happened in the simple past.

"Having been born" Action that took place in the past and ended.
"being" Action that continues from the past until today
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GPA: 3.65
WE:Project Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
MichaelS wrote:
A few points:

-I wouldn't start by considering the sequence of events if I had other options. Verb tense is a tricky subject for many people, because verb tense rules have exceptions, and their exceptions have exceptions.

-The word "and" here is a parallel marker, "being a United States citizen since 1984 and born in Austria in 1947." That's promising but it may not get us too far. After that parallel marker we find the participial phrase "born in Austria." Participles can be parallel only with other participles (though past participles can be parallel with present), so "born in Austria" must be parallel with "being a United States citizen." Awful though that sounds, it's hard to say what is wrong with that grammatically, since the parallel elements are the same parts of speech. (To be clear, there are problems with this parallelism, but they're too subtle to struggle with during the test.) Every answer that preserves the "and" uses it to join two participles, and the answers that get rid of the "and" are not wrong for that reason, so parallelism may be a bust for most test-takers.

-So we end up where we usually end up, with splits. How do the answer choices differ? "Being born" vs. "having been born" vs. "born". Well, this brings us to TS's question about "being." "Being" is highly suspect; it almost always signals a wrong answer. Further, both "being" and "having been born" here suggest that Schwarzenegger was elected because he was born in Austria in 1947, which is surely wrong. That leaves only C. This is more or less a question of meaning/clarity, not my favorite place to start, but it'll do here.

-"Became" is the only verb in the first independent clause in C; the word "born" is not a verb but a modifier, so there's no verb tense issue in that clause considered alone. The sequence of events in the second independent clause--the one after the semicolon--would be clearer if the author used, say, a past perfect with a simple past. But we have to work with the answers given.

-The big takeaway here: Don't worry about a grammatical issue unless you are confident that A contains a specific error, or the grammatical issue is suggested by the splits. Don't worry about what the ideal sentence would be; it's almost never an option.

Thanks for the clear explanation and Kudos to you. I understand now why C is the correct answer.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: None
Own Kudos [?]: 778 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V27
GPA: 3.01
WE:Sales (Manufacturing)
Send PM
I will go with D.

Semicolon is out as the the two sentences are not independent clauses.

He is still a citizen of US so "present participle" should be used.

Took way longggg to figure it out.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: None
Own Kudos [?]: 778 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V27
GPA: 3.01
WE:Sales (Manufacturing)
Send PM
GMATPASSION wrote:
I will go with D.

Semicolon is out as the the two sentences are not independent clauses.

He is still a citizen of US so "present participle" should be used.

Took way longggg to figure it out.

After reading the explanation by Michael , C looks a better option. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 164 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
yup.. and so has nsp.... having and being are unnecessary words... the sentence can surely do without
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 2: 640  Q49  V28
Send PM
Kudos
GMATMadeeasy wrote:
Being a United States Citizen since 1984 and born in Austria in 1947 , California governor Arnold Schwarzeneggar achieved fame as a Hollywood action hero,and first came to prominence as a bodybuilder ,earning the title of Mr.Olympia five times in the 1970s.

A) Being a United States citizen since 1984 and born in Austria in 1947, California governor Arnold Schwarzeneggar
B) Having been a United States citizen since 1984,he was born in AUstria in 1947;California governor Arnold Schwarzeneggar
C) Born in Austria 1947,California governor Arnold Schwarzeneggar became a United States citizen in 1984;he
D) Being born in Austria in 1947 and having been a United States citizen since 1984,California governor Arnold Schwarzeneggar
E) Having been born in Austria in 1947 and being a United States citizen since 1984,California governor Arnold Schwarzeneggar

This is from verita Prep and answer is there. But could someone explain more on "having been " used here and also usage of being here.

This is exactly like GMAT Verbal Review Q#110
Answer should be C
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 525 [0]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
MichaelS wrote:
A few points:

-I wouldn't start by considering the sequence of events if I had other options. Verb tense is a tricky subject for many people, because verb tense rules have exceptions, and their exceptions have exceptions.

-The word "and" here is a parallel marker, "being a United States citizen since 1984 and born in Austria in 1947." That's promising but it may not get us too far. After that parallel marker we find the participial phrase "born in Austria." Participles can be parallel only with other participles (though past participles can be parallel with present), so "born in Austria" must be parallel with "being a United States citizen." Awful though that sounds, it's hard to say what is wrong with that grammatically, since the parallel elements are the same parts of speech. (To be clear, there are problems with this parallelism, but they're too subtle to struggle with during the test.) Every answer that preserves the "and" uses it to join two participles, and the answers that get rid of the "and" are not wrong for that reason, so parallelism may be a bust for most test-takers.

-So we end up where we usually end up, with splits. How do the answer choices differ? "Being born" vs. "having been born" vs. "born". Well, this brings us to TS's question about "being." "Being" is highly suspect; it almost always signals a wrong answer. Further, both "being" and "having been born" here suggest that Schwarzenegger was elected because he was born in Austria in 1947, which is surely wrong. That leaves only C. This is more or less a question of meaning/clarity, not my favorite place to start, but it'll do here.

-"Became" is the only verb in the first independent clause in C; the word "born" is not a verb but a modifier, so there's no verb tense issue in that clause considered alone. The sequence of events in the second independent clause--the one after the semicolon--would be clearer if the author used, say, a past perfect with a simple past. But we have to work with the answers given.

-The big takeaway here: Don't worry about a grammatical issue unless you are confident that A contains a specific error, or the grammatical issue is suggested by the splits. Don't worry about what the ideal sentence would be; it's almost never an option.

just a few words.

the sc test us ability to realize the grammatical role and meaning role of
doing+comma+main clause
having done+ comma+main clause.

I do not think that doing/having done have only causal relation with main clause. in fact, doing/having done have the following relation
-time relation, doing and having done show the simultaneous and preceding action
-meaning relation: doing/having done can show: manner, attendent circumstance, reason (but not only reason)

the fuction of doing/having done can have one or a few relations. This point mean doing/having done can show both simultaneousness and causal relation.

we can not dictate that doing/haing done show reason, it is wrong.

this question do not test us the meaning relation which doing/having done has but test the time relation it has

look at the time relation between doing/having done and the main clause and go to the correct answer. the reason for wrongness is not that causla relation is not correct.

do you agree with me?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 127 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Send PM
Hi thangvietnam,

Even I like the answer C, but it does not read correct order.

Arnold Schwargenegger became the US citizen first and then the california governor.

The Option C reads otherway round.., like California governor became the US citizen. This has put me off from picking the answer choice C. Please could you explaina bit more on it.

thangvietnam wrote:
MichaelS wrote:
A few points:

just a few words.

the sc test us ability to realize the grammatical role and meaning role of
doing+comma+main clause
having done+ comma+main clause.

I do not think that doing/having done have only causal relation with main clause. in fact, doing/having done have the following relation
-time relation, doing and having done show the simultaneous and preceding action
-meaning relation: doing/having done can show: manner, attendent circumstance, reason (but not only reason)

the fuction of doing/having done can have one or a few relations. This point mean doing/having done can show both simultaneousness and causal relation.

we can not dictate that doing/haing done show reason, it is wrong.

this question do not test us the meaning relation which doing/having done has but test the time relation it has

look at the time relation between doing/having done and the main clause and go to the correct answer. the reason for wrongness is not that causla relation is not correct.

do you agree with me?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 348 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Being a United States Citizen since 1984 and born in Austria [#permalink]
Being a United States Citizen since 1984 and born in Austria in 1947 , California governor Arnold Schwarzeneggar achieved fame as a Hollywood action hero,and first came to prominence as a bodybuilder ,earning the title of Mr.Olympia five times in the 1970s.

(A) Being a United States citizen since 1984 and born in Austria in 1947, California governor Arnold Schwarzeneggar - in the first clause, 'being'...'since'... is a redundant structure since both these words convey the same meaning. Hence, eliminate (A)

(B) Having been a United States citizen since 1984,he was born in AUstria in 1947;California governor Arnold Schwarzeneggar - 'having been' is a past participle structure which signifies that he was a US citizen since 1984. Now, if you reread that carefully, you can see that two different verb tenses are being used to describe the same event (him being a US citizen): past participle and a present tense indicator 'since'. This contradicts one another. Hence, eliminate (B).

(C) Born in Austria 1947,California governor Arnold Schwarzeneggar became a United States citizen in 1984; he - neatly written. Conveys the meaning in a concise manner. Hence, (C) is the right answer choice.

(D) Being born in Austria in 1947 and having been a United States citizen since 1984,California governor Arnold Schwarzeneggar - 'Being Born' indicates that the action of birth is still ongoing. This does not make any sense. Hence, eliminate (D)

(E) Having been born in Austria in 1947 and being a United States citizen since 1984,California governor Arnold Schwarzeneggar - 'Having been named' is in the past perfect tense, which indicates that this activity is now complete and is no more existent in the present moment. This literally does not make any sense. Hence, eliminate (E)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 868 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6979 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
236 posts