GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Dec 2018, 21:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Best Programs for Full Time Lawyer in NYC

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Best Programs for Full Time Lawyer in NYC  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2018, 13:19
Hi All,

I am a mid-level (3 years of experience) corporate associate focusing on M&A, with an emphasis on LBOs, at a top NYC firm (think Simpson Thacher, Kirkland, Latham, Debevoise, if that helps). I am considering pursuing an MBA in order to help move over to the buy side in a business role. I have already had some discussions about it with people in the industry, and they have indicated that with a couple more years of of deal experience, and the MBA credential, they would consider me a competitive applicant. However, I still have some Law School debt (~$50k), and would rather not wait two more years to gain experience and pay that off, only to put my career on hold and forego income in a full-time MBA program. At that point I'd be in my early 30s and would really prefer to still be earning. I am therefore considering EMBAs and part-time options. I have already taken the GMAT with a score of 730, my UG GPA is a 3.3 from a respected but not elite state school, and I received my JD Magna Cum Laude from a T14 Law School (sort of like law's version of M7). I was hoping to gain some insight from this thread regarding my best options. Here is what I have so far:

1) Columbia Saturday-only EMBA: I like the sound of the program. It seems really intensive and I think I'd come away with a lot. However, it is expensive, and would demand that I give all day every Saturday, which I doubt my firm would support - fire drills demand my entire weekend with some regularity.

2) Cornell Metro NY EMBA: similar concerns to the Columbia EMBA, but my physical presence is only every other weekend, and so it would likely be an easier sell to my firm

3) Stern Langone Part Time: I like the flexibility of the program, but wonder if that will cause me to crawl through in 6 years rather than finishing in 2-3. I also like that it seems that the average Langone student is closer to my age than in the typical EMBA program.

4) Fuqua Global EMBA: Although this program is not based in NY, I am inclined to think it will be the easiest to sell to my firm. I could use my vacation time to attend the residential weeks - my firm is respectful of vacation, and I think they would support this. Outside of residential weeks, my physical presence is not required, and I can do work on my own time. The cost isn't as high as Columbia.

Are there any other programs I should be looking at? Am I aiming too high for my profile? Any help would be appreciated.
INSEAD Thread Master
P
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: Best Programs for Full Time Lawyer in NYC  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2018, 17:05
lawyer2mba

The average work experience for EMBA is like 8 to 10 years, usually higher, and for the GMBA people are going to be close to age of your parents. So I don't think that's going to be a good fit. I did get a candidate who was light on work experience into the Columbia Saturday program - but he was the youngest person in the class. Really loves it and has told me he would be happy to chat about it with others. He has gotten promoted twice since starting.

There’s no minimum WE for Wharton EMBA so check that out; it is most like a FT EMBA. Kellogg Miami and Ross UCLA both meet monthly. Do a resume review with the EMBA programs to make sure it is a wise investment of time/money to apply (that is code for they don’t disregard you because of low WE).

IMO, Stern PT is probably your best option if you are committed to doing this now/continue working.

lawyer2mba wrote:
Hi All,

I am a mid-level (3 years of experience) corporate associate focusing on M&A, with an emphasis on LBOs, at a top NYC firm (think Simpson Thacher, Kirkland, Latham, Debevoise, if that helps). I am considering pursuing an MBA in order to help move over to the buy side in a business role. I have already had some discussions about it with people in the industry, and they have indicated that with a couple more years of of deal experience, and the MBA credential, they would consider me a competitive applicant. However, I still have some Law School debt (~$50k), and would rather not wait two more years to gain experience and pay that off, only to put my career on hold and forego income in a full-time MBA program. At that point I'd be in my early 30s and would really prefer to still be earning. I am therefore considering EMBAs and part-time options. I have already taken the GMAT with a score of 730, my UG GPA is a 3.3 from a respected but not elite state school, and I received my JD Magna Cum Laude from a T14 Law School (sort of like law's version of M7). I was hoping to gain some insight from this thread regarding my best options. Here is what I have so far:

1) Columbia Saturday-only EMBA: I like the sound of the program. It seems really intensive and I think I'd come away with a lot. However, it is expensive, and would demand that I give all day every Saturday, which I doubt my firm would support - fire drills demand my entire weekend with some regularity.

2) Cornell Metro NY EMBA: similar concerns to the Columbia EMBA, but my physical presence is only every other weekend, and so it would likely be an easier sell to my firm

3) Stern Langone Part Time: I like the flexibility of the program, but wonder if that will cause me to crawl through in 6 years rather than finishing in 2-3. I also like that it seems that the average Langone student is closer to my age than in the typical EMBA program.

4) Fuqua Global EMBA: Although this program is not based in NY, I am inclined to think it will be the easiest to sell to my firm. I could use my vacation time to attend the residential weeks - my firm is respectful of vacation, and I think they would support this. Outside of residential weeks, my physical presence is not required, and I can do work on my own time. The cost isn't as high as Columbia.

Are there any other programs I should be looking at? Am I aiming too high for my profile? Any help would be appreciated.

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Intern
Intern
Re: Best Programs for Full Time Lawyer in NYC  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2018, 18:25
thanks for your help! I think the Wharton program might be a tough sell for my firm. I think based on what you've given me, the stern program, or possibly the columbia program, would be best.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Best Programs for Full Time Lawyer in NYC &nbs [#permalink] 24 Aug 2018, 18:25

Best Programs for Full Time Lawyer in NYC

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap