Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:04 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.9
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GPA: 3.35
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink]
riskylvrg wrote:
I realize that it's a speculation, but an admission consultant estimated chances of getting admitted off the WL at Booth is ~30%.

Well, my chances are 100% after that sweet video I made 8-)

In all seriousness, though, no clue. 30% wouldn't shock me, but anything higher would. I would have guessed lower.

GMJK wrote:
Did anyone else check the "application proof" on the application status page to make sure it was the actual application they submitted? I only ask because I noticed that the application they have on file on my application status page is the first draft of my application and not the final application I submitted.

Reason to be concerned? Or not a big deal?

If they are significantly different, or if the proof is missing something, it couldn't hurt to bring it up. Mine looks like my final app, FYI
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Send PM
riskylvrg wrote:
Does anyone have more insight on the chances of getting admitted off the WL in R3? It looked that compared to historic numbers, Booth has room for approximately 150 admits (everything else equal). Anyone knows how many people could be on the waitlist?

I realize that it's a speculation, but an admission consultant estimated chances of getting admitted off the WL at Booth is ~30%.

Any insight would be appreciated.

I'm not sure if this is helpful or not, but I can share a couple of data points that might provide some additional insight:

- The incoming student directory currently lists ~700 students. Now that the R2 deposit deadline has passed, it's safe to assume that all 700 of these students have paid at least their first deposit. I personally know of a few people who paid their deposit, but that are not sure where/if they are attending b-school in the fall. So the ultimate yield out of this pool of 700 could be anywhere from 75%-99%...who knows.

- The Booth Class of 2014 Facebook page has approx. 535 members. I'm not sure if you can draw any conclusions from that, but it's another point to consider.

Hope this helps. I know it doesn't provide a definitive answer, but I always believe that more data and transparency is better than less.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
NA

Originally posted by breakthelaw on 30 Apr 2012, 11:33.
Last edited by breakthelaw on 05 Mar 2013, 10:10, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
riskylvrg wrote:
@Bstand - absolutely, more data is always welcome.

It is worth considering the fact that last year they have extended offers to ~918 students. Given that there are always less students who pay the deposit than there are students who get the offer, 700 deposits might actually mean 900+ offers, which decreases our chances dramatically. I think the majority of WL applicants will be re-waitlisted on the 16th and will get the decision on June 1 and June 31, when R1 and R2 final deposits ($1000) are due and maybe just a few (5-10 students) when the tuition is due in full late summer.

And given there are ~700 students in the directory after the R2 deposit deadline - chances of us WL getting in are probably marginal at best - seems that Booth's yield went up this year.

Here is from an earlier post: Actually, Boothie2014's statistics are not completely accurate. I see the 781 incoming students in the directory, but that number includes about 320 R1 Admits who were in the database following the R1 deposit deadline. I can't remember the exact numbers, but I believe there were around 500 R1 admits (+/- 10-15) prior to the deposit deadline. So, the R1 yield was right around 65% and about 180 R1 Admits did not place a deposit. This means there were approx. 460 R2 Admits (incl. those accepted from the R1 waitlist). Assuming a 60% yield in R2, 596 seats are spoken for between R1 and R2. This paints a very different picture of the remaining number of spots for R3 applicants and current waitlisters.

Hmmm - Assuming all those numbers are correct, then the lowest yield possible for R2 admits is 83% (minimum of 380 R2 deposits (more if anyone in R1 didn't pay 2nd deposit) over 460 R2 admits). Something just seems off about that (wishful thinking, I know).
Manager
Manager
Send PM
NA

Originally posted by breakthelaw on 30 Apr 2012, 12:33.
Last edited by breakthelaw on 05 Mar 2013, 10:10, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Send PM
tctc33 wrote:
riskylvrg wrote:
@Bstand - absolutely, more data is always welcome.

It is worth considering the fact that last year they have extended offers to ~918 students. Given that there are always less students who pay the deposit than there are students who get the offer, 700 deposits might actually mean 900+ offers, which decreases our chances dramatically. I think the majority of WL applicants will be re-waitlisted on the 16th and will get the decision on June 1 and June 31, when R1 and R2 final deposits ($1000) are due and maybe just a few (5-10 students) when the tuition is due in full late summer.

And given there are ~700 students in the directory after the R2 deposit deadline - chances of us WL getting in are probably marginal at best - seems that Booth's yield went up this year.

Here is from an earlier post: Actually, Boothie2014's statistics are not completely accurate. I see the 781 incoming students in the directory, but that number includes about 320 R1 Admits who were in the database following the R1 deposit deadline. I can't remember the exact numbers, but I believe there were around 500 R1 admits (+/- 10-15) prior to the deposit deadline. So, the R1 yield was right around 65% and about 180 R1 Admits did not place a deposit. This means there were approx. 460 R2 Admits (incl. those accepted from the R1 waitlist). Assuming a 60% yield in R2, 596 seats are spoken for between R1 and R2. This paints a very different picture of the remaining number of spots for R3 applicants and current waitlisters.

Hmmm - Assuming all those numbers are correct, then the lowest yield possible for R2 admits is 83% (minimum of 380 R2 deposits (more if anyone in R1 didn't pay 2nd deposit) over 460 R2 admits). Something just seems off about that (wishful thinking, I know).

Actually, the R1 2nd deposit deadline is in June, so I'd assume most people who paid the R1 deposit are still on the list of incoming students (though some may have dropped off).

But, yeah, I hear you that it would imply an 83% yield for R2 admits, which would be much higher than the historical yield...

I think the key point is that there 700 people who paid the first deposit. Once the second deposit deadline has passed on June 1, I think you'll have a better picture of the wait list situation.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Doesn't 700 seem like a lot? Given that the class size is supposed to be between 550 and 575, I wonder if they underestimated the number of applicants that would accept offers of admission. It would be interesting to know how many people were in the student directory at this time last year.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
For what it's worth, last year's thread had a similar meltdown after R1 where they thought there was an 80% yield based on the admitted students page and OMG THE CLASS IS FULL!! Then the last 20 pages are like eleventy million people getting in off the WL in the summer. I'm going to chill for now. I think HBS said they'll begin admitting off the waitlist this week, and then the domino effect begins.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
NA

Originally posted by breakthelaw on 30 Apr 2012, 18:13.
Last edited by breakthelaw on 05 Mar 2013, 10:10, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V35
Send PM
GMJK wrote:
Did anyone else check the "application proof" on the application status page to make sure it was the actual application they submitted? I only ask because I noticed that the application they have on file on my application status page is the first draft of my application and not the final application I submitted.

Reason to be concerned? Or not a big deal?

I think that you should ask the Admissions Office. Mine is the final version.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hi,

Just one simple, timid question.

After uploading materials, (though 'upload' button with Post-Decision Material of Upload Materials section, and 'Edit Portfolio' button of Portfolio section)
I realized that there is no submission button!! and no email notification of delivery!!

Is just uploading the end of the process?

It is quite terrifying to imagine they have not received all the work I have done. :)

Thank you
Manager
Manager
Send PM
NA

Originally posted by breakthelaw on 04 May 2012, 09:50.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
riskylvrg wrote:
The wait is painful - you know that adcom is looking at our files this week and beginning of next week. Any other news anyone?

ps and yes, the uploading is the end of the process.

Only update I can provide is that the number of admitted students in the director is now around 630. Not surprisingly, this number has declined a bit following the Wharton and HBS deposit deadlines.

There may be some people who are on wait lists at other schools, paid deposits at multiple schools and have yet to decide, or may decide to skip b-school altogether. I have no idea how to estimate that number...could be 5%, could be 25%.

Good luck to everyone still waiting.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
NA

Originally posted by breakthelaw on 04 May 2012, 10:58.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
Send PM
BStand wrote:
riskylvrg wrote:
The wait is painful - you know that adcom is looking at our files this week and beginning of next week. Any other news anyone?

ps and yes, the uploading is the end of the process.

Only update I can provide is that the number of admitted students in the director is now around 630. Not surprisingly, this number has declined a bit following the Wharton and HBS deposit deadlines.

There may be some people who are on wait lists at other schools, paid deposits at multiple schools and have yet to decide, or may decide to skip b-school altogether. I have no idea how to estimate that number...could be 5%, could be 25%.

Good luck to everyone still waiting.

keep in mind that this 630 number may include folks from R1 who have paid deposit deadline and have not withdrawn from Booth yet (although they intend to matriculate at another school). the second deposit deadline is June 1st, so would be interesting to see how that changes the numbers. in my case, I declined Booth R2 and my account was deleted the next day.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.54
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Was just going through my old docs and I realized that my waitlist update letter to Booth has a typo in the very last sentence. Whoops
Manager
Manager
Send PM
NA

Originally posted by breakthelaw on 07 May 2012, 10:35.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  9   10   11   12   13   14   15  ...  22