GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 04 Apr 2020, 16:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Booth or Kellogg

new topic post reply Update application status  

Chicago Booth or Kellogg

• 57% [8]
  • 42% [6]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Booth or Kellogg  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2016, 05:02
Hi all,

I recently had the good fortune of being accepted to the evening programs at both Chicago Booth and Kellogg. In terms of my education, I would like to focus on business strategy and operations management. In addition, I'd like to take some business valuation and negotiation courses. I work for a large family business (>$1 billion revenue) and in the near-term would like to keep moving up at the company. Long term, I'm sure we will sell all or part of the company and use the assets to establish a family office more akin to a PE/VC firm. That said, I'd like to use my education to get some experience in those industries as well.

Given the above, I would like to hear if anyone has any recommendations on which school's curriculum would be the better fit for me. As I understand it, both schools offer solid PE programs but Kellogg is slightly more bent to consulting/general business strategy. Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.
INSEAD School Moderator
V
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: Booth or Kellogg  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2016, 05:15
Hi Joe, both are amazing schools but very different. If you're going strictly on finance skills then I think Booth is the better choice, however you mentioned something about selling assets and I have to say that Booth is not a marketing school, at all, where is Kellogg is the gold standard for marketing.

Also, do you want a school that has a core curriculum? Booth does have a lot of flexibility in curriculum but that is not always really what you need, as someone who is a big believer in core curriculum.

I think the industry you're going into, you would really benefit from being as well-rounded as possible. I think Booth is a really great program for data-driven globally minded students but if you want soft skills or marketing I think I would pick Kellogg.

Farrell Dyan Hehn, MBA
Admissions Consultant & Verbal Tutor
MBAPrepCoach.com
Intern

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2016, 05:22
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
Hi Joe, both are amazing schools but very different. If you're going strictly on finance skills then I think Booth is the better choice, however you mentioned something about selling assets and I have to say that Booth is not a marketing school, at all, where is Kellogg is the gold standard for marketing.

Also, do you want a school that has a core curriculum? Booth does have a lot of flexibility in curriculum but that is not always really what you need, as someone who is a big believer in core curriculum.

I think the industry you're going into, you would really benefit from being as well-rounded as possible. I think Booth is a really great program for data-driven globally minded students but if you want soft skills or marketing I think I would pick Kellogg.

Farrell Dyan Hehn, MBA
Admissions Consultant & Verbal Tutor
MBAPrepCoach.com

Hi Farrell,

Thank you for your prompt response. Kellogg has agreed to put me in their accelerated program which would waive a great deal of my core curriculum and allow me to graduate in two years instead of three. I worked in finance previously but I am definitely not a strict quant. I would like to learn about business valuation but I am not particularly interested in statistics or Booth's "research-based" approach to some topics. I am more focused on practical application of business practices rather than more obscure theory, if that makes any sense. My focuses would likely be general strategy, business integration (M&A), and operations management.
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2016, 16:47
I would go with Kellogg here. Great program that has a family business program that will really help you develop the specific skills geared towards succeeding as a family owned business. Also, the networking from the Family Business Center with alums will be awesome as well especially considering some of your LT plans for your family business. Kellogg presents a more well rounded curriculum and experience and seems to better cater to your development goals

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2016, 04:23
VeritasPrepDozie wrote:
I would go with Kellogg here. Great program that has a family business program that will really help you develop the specific skills geared towards succeeding as a family owned business. Also, the networking from the Family Business Center with alums will be awesome as well especially considering some of your LT plans for your family business. Kellogg presents a more well rounded curriculum and experience and seems to better cater to your development goals

Thanks for your input, I agree. When I compared the curriculum for the two schools side-by-side there was no contest as to which school fit in with my long term goals. I committed to Kellogg a couple of weeks ago.
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2016, 18:15
Congrats! You will have a great two years at Evanston!

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Booth or Kellogg   [#permalink] 27 Jul 2016, 18:15

Booth or Kellogg

new topic post reply Update application status