It is currently 21 Jan 2018, 00:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Both the average (arithmetic mean) and the median of a set of 7 number

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 139638 [0], given: 12794

Both the average (arithmetic mean) and the median of a set of 7 number [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2015, 01:42
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

49% (01:59) correct 51% (02:02) wrong based on 182 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Both the average (arithmetic mean) and the median of a set of 7 numbers equal 20. If the smallest number in the set is 5 less than half the largest number, what is the largest possible number in the set?

(A) 40
(B) 38
(C) 33
(D) 32
(E) 30

Kudos for a correct solution.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 4

Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT Date: 03-30-2015
WE: Web Development (Computer Software)
Re: Both the average (arithmetic mean) and the median of a set of 7 number [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2015, 07:06
Assume the last number be X

So first number would be X/2-5

We know that Sum = Average * No of Terms

So Sum = 20* 7 = 140

To maximise the Last Digit we have to Minimise all six digits

Arrange the Digits in acceding order

X/2-5 ____ ____ 20 ____ ____ X

To minimise we have to choose 2nd and 3rd digit as x/2-5 and 5th and 6th as 20.

Sum it up and equate to 140

we get X=38

So B is the Answer

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 4

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Re: Both the average (arithmetic mean) and the median of a set of 7 number [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2015, 04:06
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Bunuel wrote:
Both the average (arithmetic mean) and the median of a set of 7 numbers equal 20. If the smallest number in the set is 5 less than half the largest number, what is the largest possible number in the set?

(A) 40
(B) 38
(C) 33
(D) 32
(E) 30

MANHATTAN GMAT OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

Out of the letters A through E, which one is your favorite?

You may be thinking, “Huh? What a weird question. I don’t have a favorite.”

I don’t have one in the real world either, but I do for the GMAT, and you should, too. When you get stuck, you’re going to need to be able to let go, guess, and move on. If you haven’t been able to narrow down the answers at all, then you’ll have to make a random guess—in which case, you want to have your favorite letter ready to go.

If you have to think about what your favorite letter is, then you don’t have one yet. Pick it right now.

I’m serious. I’m not going to continue until you pick your favorite letter. Got it?

From now on, when you realize that you’re lost and you need to let go, pick your favorite letter immediately and move on. Don’t even think about it.

(This assumes, of course, that your favorite letter is still in the mix. If you were able to narrow down the answers, and you crossed off your favorite letter, then obviously don’t pick that one!)

Okay, let’s solve this thing. What did you do first?
Attachment:
gmat1.png
gmat1.png [ 17.82 KiB | Viewed 3914 times ]

I glanced at the beginning of the text and saw that it said average (arithmetic mean). I then glanced down to the answers to see how precise I was going to have to be with calculations. The answers are very close together, so estimation isn’t going to work. I’m going to have to do real math.

Okay, time to read the problem and jot down the given info.
Attachment:
avg.png
avg.png [ 4.9 KiB | Viewed 3913 times ]

Because the problem gives the median, arrange the numbers in order from smallest to largest (this is a general requirement whenever calculating or displaying a median).

Hmm. That second sentence of the problem is going to take some work. It’s a relationship between the first and last number…but I don’t know the actual value of either one.

Time to set a variable: let’s call something x. My natural inclination would be to call the smallest number x, but I’ve learned to ask myself one important question before arbitrarily assigning that variable: what am I trying to find?

In this case, they asked for the largest possible number, so it’s better to call the last number x. That way, I’ll be solving for the thing that they want; I’m less likely to make a mistake and accidentally solve for x = the smallest number.

If the largest number is x, then the smallest is (1/2)x – 5:
Attachment:
first.png
first.png [ 4.76 KiB | Viewed 3913 times ]

What next? If the average is 20 and there are 7 numbers, then the sum must be (Average)(number of terms) = (20)(7) = 140.

Pause for a moment and look at everything you’ve got. What’s the best plan from here?
Attachment:
gmat2.png
gmat2.png [ 5.54 KiB | Viewed 3907 times ]

They want to maximize the largest number, that x. Only one number is set, the middle one (20). All 7 numbers have to add up to 140.

So what needs to happen in order to make x as large as possible?

Since the sum is fixed, the first 6 numbers need to be minimized in order to get the last number to be as large as possible. This step is the key to all max/min problems: figure out what you can influence and either maximize or minimize (as needed) to get to the desired outcome.

Look back at your notes to remind yourself of the restrictions. The fifth and sixth numbers cannot be less than the median of 20. They could equal the median, though, so set these values to 20:
Attachment:
last.png
last.png [ 5.44 KiB | Viewed 3906 times ]

That leaves a sum of 140 – 20(3) = 80 for the remaining 4 numbers.

Now, what about the second and third values? Again, they can’t be smaller than the first one, but they could equal it. Set all three equal to (1/2)x – 5.

Check it out: you now have a way to express each of the remaining four numbers in terms of that single variable x. Time to set up an equation and solve!
Attachment:
gmat.png
gmat.png [ 5.54 KiB | Viewed 3909 times ]

The largest possible number in the set is 38.

The correct answer is (B).

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Board of Directors
P

Kudos [?]: 463 [0], given: 211

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2016, 18:14
Bunuel wrote:

(A) 40
(B) 38
(C) 33
(D) 32
(E) 30

we have 7 numbers, out of which 20 is the middle one..

_ _ _ 20 _ _ A
suppose A is the largest number.
A/2 -5 = is the smallest number
to maximize A, suppose that we have all the numbers before 20 equal to the smallest number, and everything between 20 and A is equal to 20.

we know the average, we can find the sum.
20*7 = 140.
we have 3 numbers equal to 20 -> 60total
we have 3 numbers equal to A/2 -5.

now:
3(A/2 - 5) + A = 140-60 = 80.
3A/2 - 15 + A = 80 -> multiply everything by 2, to get rid of the fractions.
3A - 30 +2A = 160
5A=190
A=190/5 = 38.

answer is B.

Kudos [?]: 463 [0], given: 211

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 291 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2017, 06:21
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Kudos [?]: 291 [0], given: 0

Re: Both the average (arithmetic mean) and the median of a set of 7 number   [#permalink] 08 Dec 2017, 06:21

Both the average (arithmetic mean) and the median of a set of 7 number

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap