Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 15:53 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 15:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [3]
Given Kudos: 71
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V31
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [3]
Given Kudos: 753
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Ross School of Business - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.2
WE:Project Management (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [3]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools: Duke '17 (M)
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
Re: Calling all Duke-Fuqua Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink]
Kudos
Just got the call about 50 mins ago from Russell! Super excited. Was omw back to hotel from a buiness dinner meeting. I am based in East Asia. Looking forward to meeting you in Durham next summer!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [3]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Duke '17 (A$)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Kudos
deleted

Originally posted by BSchool85 on 29 Oct 2014, 06:34.
Last edited by BSchool85 on 29 Dec 2016, 23:42, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [3]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Just got the call, I'm in. It wasn't from Russell.

I'm on the East Coast.

my profile:

3.0 GPA
720 GMAT
4 years of work experience entirely in startups
Grew up overseas, but was born in the US and have lived here for the last many years.

Excited to see you guys in the fall!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [3]
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 670 Q43 V38
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
I'm in, got the call at 945, east coast.

US Military, 3.2 GPA, 670 GMAT. Stay strong a be confident if you don't have a 700+ GMAT and a 4.0 GPA. They told me my work experience, essays, recommendations, and interview were all great. Don't be discouraged if you have a weak area.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [3]
Given Kudos: 205
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 580 Q37 V32
GMAT 2: 570 Q36 V32
GMAT 3: 680 Q44 V40
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
I got a call from Jake and he is right now is DC. I'll be attending a Duke event this evening as an EA Admit :) anyone else from DC coming?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [3]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management
Schools: Duke '17 (A)
GMAT 1: 650 Q51 V26
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V34
Send PM
Kudos
I'm in.
Female Asian. GMAT 710. GPA 8.24/10. 5 years exp Marketing background.

Congrats all admitted, and keep your faith if you are wl/rejected.

Does anyone receive financial aid? Start worry how to finance the program. T.T It really costs a fortune.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [3]
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 670 Q43 V38
Send PM
Kudos
Bottom line, there are a lot of really great schools in this country. Duke being number one is simply a testament to the fact that it is an awesome school, and this is something that all associated with the school should be proud of. In the end, Fuqua is the exact same school today that it was when US News said it was the fourteenth best school in the country earlier this year. The same can be said for Harvard, Stanford, etc... Even if the rankings are inconsistent, you have to be doing something right to be ranked #1.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
I had my interview this morning and the questions were all expected. He only asked me 5 questions! Don't know what to make of that..

He started off by sharing his background and career progress pre-MBA.

1. Take me through your career journey so far and why MBA?
2. Why Fuqua?
3. Tell me how did you handle a difficult team member.
4. You have 1 minute to make a pitch to admissions committee. Go.
5. Did you receive any critical feedback and what did you do about it?

In total we spent about 30 minutes on the questions and then he opened the floor for me to ask questions. I asked a few questions and tried to sprinkle some of the points i wanted to make during the interview in the conversation. But he didn't take any notes when i was asking the questions.

Overall it was a stress free interview. He was smiling all the time and gave me a sense that he definitely agrees with what I was talking about. So I don't know what to make of it because they must have been trained not to give out any insight through behaviors.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
one more piece of information i did not cover in the earlier post - there were 8 people interviewing today. I am guessing the number/day will go up closer to the final days of interviewing. There were two teachers, one IB, one accounting, one army. It is interesting that 3 out of 8 did their bachelors from Duke.

I attended 'foundations of strategy' class for FYs. The class is based on a case study that Bain worked on and three Duke Fuqua alumni (2 recent, 1 graduated 12 years ago) from Bain were there to listen to the students presentations.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [3]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V47
Send PM
Kudos
Had a class visit as well as a lunch today, interview tomorrow. Pretty large crowd today at about 20.

For anyone coming into Durham, I hit up a joint called "Only Burger" on Shannon Road for some takeout tonight, and it was delicious! Bonus; you can buy beer (craft beer at that) to go. Highly recommend it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q39 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q42 V48
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Abez wrote:
This week our economy collapsed. My employer told that I had to save our team and go study (leave) in July.
I agreed and now I am all in 8-) Duke, I hope it will work out!

and good luck everyone!!

Just don't plan on paying in Rubles, haha jk. Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [3]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42
Send PM
Kudos
ThePot wrote:
alwayswaiting wrote:
ThePot wrote:
Not invited. Second ding this season

Same here, bud. Though I guess we probably shouldn't completely give up until it shows a deny or waitlist.

Nah I've given up. Duke was my dream school. Moving on. Prolly will get a ding from darden too. Will settle for georgetown if i dont screw up that interview as well.

It may seem the toughest thing to do right now, but you gotta stay positive my friend. Also, I would resist the temptation to extrapolate any individual school's decisions to the other schools' likely decisions because at the top schools the correlations are not strong and there is fair amount of unpredictability given that the schools are trying to craft balanced classes (a process that has its own internal dynamic for each school). After receiving the first set of my "dings" i was in a pretty bad shape too. I would often start hopelessly wondering if the problem was with the strength of my profile, my application strategy or the fact that I was part of an over-subscribed applicant pool. But then things turned around. I see a bunch of pretty good programs on your list. So try and focus your time and energy on what lies ahead, but most importantly , always keep your head up.!!

Originally posted by EndGame on 05 Feb 2015, 12:53.
Last edited by EndGame on 05 Feb 2015, 13:48, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [3]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Kudos
Just got the call! I am in!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [6]
Given Kudos: 18
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE:Other (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks

Current Student Insights

Current Student :- StevenFuqua - Class of 2015

Steven is currently an MBA student at the Duke University Fuqua School of Business (Class of 2015). He is passionate about health care commercialization and entrepreneurship. In the summer of 2014, he completed his commercial internship at Bristol-Myers Squibb. Prior to school he was in the science world and did research at the National Institutes of Health for 3 years studying HIV and the human immune system.

Who would be an ideal applicant to your program based on admissions, culture, and the program in general?

Steven:- There is no ideal applicant to Fuqua. We come from such a wide range of backgrounds and diverse set of cultures that makes it impossible to answer this question. What you may be asking is whether there is a set of qualities that make people successful in Fuqua's culture. Here are a few that I've noticed consistently:

A. Passionate. Fuqua students are very passionate about what they do. This is what drives them in pursuing career choices that are both traditional and less traditional for MBAs. Applicants who stand for something and want to make a difference in the world will find themselves very happy here.

B. Team player. Fuqua students want each other to succeed. We want to win, but only when the team wins as well. We are very authentic with each other and develop deep personal relationships in the two years that we are here. If you excel in a collaborative environment and enjoy trusting your team mates, then Fuqua is a great place.

C. Has consequential leadership potential. At Fuqua, we don't just teach leadership, we produce the consequential leaders of tomorrow. By consequential, we mean leaders who not only drive shareholder value, but also make the world a better place. We teach leaders to follow their moral compass and stick with their values. We view true leaders as those who decide to pursue the hard rights and not the easy wrongs. People who have this and #2 in their DNA will succeed at Fuqua.

D. Is excellent, but recognizes the need to grow. Fuqua students were excellent in their past careers, but were reflective enough to understand their developmental needs. Fuqua students have the capacity to identify their weaknesses and act on them during their two years here.

GPA, GMAT, Application Essays, Interview, Work Experience, and Extra Curricular. If you asked to arrange these parameters in the order of their importance at Fuqua – what would it be?

Steven:- Work Experience, EC, Interview, Essays, GMAT, GPA - in this order.

What advantage, if any, is there in applying in a specific round over another?

Steven:- Can't confirm for Fuqua, but generally for b-schools, EA>R2=R1>R3

Are the on-campus and off-campus interviews treated equally or there is any preference to one over other?

Steven:- I'd assume that they would be treated equally as Fuqua is looking to attract the best talent globally.

Do you recommend a school visit? Is it a must?

Steven:- A school visit is highly recommended, but not necessary. There are many other ways to learn about the school culture and classroom experience, such as speaking to current students.

Can you comment on the Employment process of the school? What support do students get from Career Services dept, peers, and alumni?

Steven:-

Recruiting preparation starts in the summer. Students begin having sessions on resumes, interviews, networking during Global Institute in August. Then in September students are matched with their career fellows (second year MBAs), who help them with their resumes, cover letters, and interview preps. In general, companies start coming to campus in Fall 1 and Fall 2, and those are the busiest terms for internship recruiting.

The Career Management Center (CMC): engages with Fuqua starting during the summer prior the the first year. The CMC mainly plays two roles: (A) They teach students how to optimize our resumes and cover letters, manage the off-campus recruiting process, and coach students for interviews. (B) They engage with companies and make sure the best companies come to campus and that students have access to recruiters at those companies.

Peers: Second years are actively involved in coaching first year MBAs. Student clubs host career events that are designed to help first years navigate the recruiting process and offer tips from those who went before them. Career fellows are actively coaching students. Second years in general are very open to having one-on-ones with first years who are interested in the firms they interned at or who just want to learn more about the industry, do casing/interview prep, etc. Fuqua is very student-run, as I've blogged about.

Alumni: In general Fuqua has a very active and engaged alumni network. We are given the tools to begin our off campus job search early and we start with alumni first. Many alumni serve as recruiters for companies that come on campus as well. Fuqua also has structured programs that match alumni with current students, offering formal mentorship opportunities, in addition to an endless amount of informal resources.

Which companies (and from which sectors) generally recruit in the school? How strong school’s alumni network is?

Steven:- Fuqua is a general management program and gets a wide range of sectors and a big list of companies that come on campus. I'd encourage prospective students to browse the employment reports from previous years and see if their target companies recruited on campus. https://www.fuqua.duke.edu/mba_recruitin ... tatistics/

I have not done an analysis on Fuqua's general alumni network, but I do have data that it is best-in-class for health care. An easy way for prospective students to do this would be to do searches on LinkedIn with their target schools and industries and get a sense of the quantities.

Which student clubs or groups are in the school? What social and philanthropic opportunities and opportunities to get involved in leadership roles one can get in these groups?

Steven:- List of clubs https://fuqua.campusgroups.com/club_sig ... _type=2176
First year MBAs can get involved through serving as cabinet members. Second year MBAs also form the leadership team and mentor first years. There are also leadership positions within the MBA Association and the 6 sections of the first year class that students can get involved with.

Is there anything related to Financial Aid worth a mention?

Steven:- Nothing out of the ordinary.

Can you think of a few good and bad reasons for applicants to reach out to current students? Esp. Before submitting an application?

Steven:- Good reasons:
A. Made good effort to do research but could not find the answer to a few specific questions relating to their career goals or a particular resource at the school.

B. Want to learn about specific examples of the school culture at play.

C. Want to learn about life, networking, and career options in RTP.

D. Debating between offers.

Bad reasons:
A. To ask for a student recommendation.

B. Ask general questions about the school and its culture. For example, what is Team Fuqua or what is consequential leadership are general questions and their answers can be found by going through the Fuqua website or reading student blog posts. A better question would be to ask about how Team Fuqua has made a difference in a current student's leadership development or future career goals.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [2]
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
GRE 1: Q165 V161
GPA: 3.6
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
krammer wrote:
KingShark wrote:
The questions in the letter of recommendations have changed. When I spoke to my recommenders, I had used these questions during the discussion: https://www.fuqua.duke.edu/daytime-mba/a ... tructions/

I am told that the questions in the online form are different.

Hey KingShark,

Can you post the actual questions on the online form?
Also, can you confirm whether a "letter of recommendation" is needed for Fuqua, or will these questions suffice?

Thanks!

1. Comment briefly on the context of your interaction with the applicant.
2. How do the applicant's performance, potential, or personal qualities compare to those of other well-qualified individuals in similar roles?
3. What do you perceive as the applicant's areas for growth? Describe the applicant's awareness of these areas and his/her response to constructive feedback.
4. Please include additional comments you feel will be helpful to the Admissions Committee.

These are the questions that referees must answer in the letter of recommendation. They must also rate the applicant on a scale of 1 - 5 for a number of qualities.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [2]
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42
Send PM
Kudos
Hello People,

I had my interview on campus last saturday. It was very Duke like.Pretty standard questions. The second yr who was interviewing me created a total stress free zone. She had a background in Energy so she could relate to my stories well.
My two cents: stay true to who you are during the interview because that is very reflective of the Duke culture--a fit is precisely what they are looking for. Good luck to all those interviewing .
Cheers !
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [2]
Given Kudos: 18
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE:Other (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
I recently visited Fuqua a few weeks ago. Here are some of my thoughts. Feel free to PM or reply if you want more detail:

1. Fuqua is amazing. I was there for two days and the only thing I can compare it to is orientation weekend before freshman year of college. It was a blast of cool people, good vibes, and an amazing time. Had so much fun meeting first years and fellow prospectives. The school's motto is definitely "work hard, play hard." I could definitely see myself as a student at Fuqua surrounded by awesome peers.

2. The interview itself threw me off a little. I had just spent several hours before the interview hanging out with chill Fuqua students shooting the breeze. The interviewer was a nice guy, but a little serious. It wasn't the laid-back, Fuqua culture I was used to or expected. I got a litany of "tell me about a time" questions in a relentless streak. I think I performed well, but I just thought it would be more conversational. Regardless, others who had different interviewers said theirs was relaxed, so I may just be an anomaly.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  71   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts