It is currently 17 Feb 2018, 19:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Can a certain rectangular sheet of glass be positioned on a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Math Expert
V
Can a certain rectangular sheet of glass be positioned on a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2012, 02:22
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

65% (00:56) correct 35% (01:02) wrong based on 1659 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Can a certain rectangular sheet of glass be positioned on a rectangular tabletop so that it covers the entire tabletop and its edges are parallel to the edges of the tabletop?

(1) The tabletop is 36 inches wide by 60 inches long.
(2) The area of one side of the sheet of glass is 2,400 square inches.

Practice Questions
Question: 42
Page: 278
Difficulty: 600
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V
Re: Can a certain rectangular sheet of glass be positioned on a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2012, 02:22
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
SOLUTION

Can a certain rectangular sheet of glass be positioned on a rectangular tabletop so that it covers the entire tabletop and its edges are parallel to the edges of the tabletop?

Even when we consider the two statements together we can have for instance the following cases: if the dimensions of the glass are 40*60, then the answer would be YES but if the dimensions of the glass are 1*2,400, then the answer would be NO. Not sufficient.

Answer: E.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

8 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Schools: Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2012, 04:31
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED

Question can be restated as "Is Glass sheet rectangular & of same dimensions as that of tabletop?"
1) No info is given about glass sheet dimensions- Insufficient
2) No info is given regarding the dimensions of tabletop & its not stated whether the glass sheet is Rectangular, Square or Parallelogram etc.--->Insufficient
1+2) No info is given whether the glass sheet is Rectangular, Square or Parallelogram etc ---Insufficient

Answer E

If you like my Question/Explanation or the contribution, Kindly appreciate by pressing KUDOS.
Kudos always maximizes GMATCLUB worth
-Game Theory

If you have any question regarding my post, kindly pm me or else I won't be able to reply

6 KUDOS received
Director
Director
WE: Science (Education)

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2012, 04:58
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
fameatop wrote:

Question can be restated as "Is Glass sheet rectangular & of same dimensions as that of tabletop?"
2) No info is given regarding the dimensions of tabletop & its not stated whether the glass sheet is Rectangular, Square or Parallelogram etc.--->Insufficient
1+2) No info is given whether the glass sheet is Rectangular, Square or Parallelogram etc ---Insufficient

Answer E

The question says "Can a certain rectangular sheet of glass..."

Maybe it looks strange the information in statement (2): "The area of one side of the sheet of glass..."
But, the sheet of glass is in fact a 3D object, a rectangular box, probably quite thin. So, we are talking about a rectangular side with the largest area. I don't think they cut the glass at an angle other than 90 degrees.
Anyway, the answer is E because the area of 2,400 although greater than 36*60 = 2,160, if the dimensions of the sheet are 30 and 80, it will not cover the tabletop.
But if the dimensions are 40 and 60, then yes.
The sheet of glass needs to cover the tabletop, not necessarily to be of identical dimensions. In other words, the sheet of glass can be larger than the tabletop, although this isn't practical....

PhD in Applied Mathematics
Love GMAT Quant questions and running.

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Schools: Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2012, 05:31
This post received
KUDOS
The question says "Can a certain rectangular sheet of glass..."

Maybe it looks strange the information in statement (2): "The area of one side of the sheet of glass..."
But, the sheet of glass is in fact a 3D object, a rectangular box, probably quite thin. So, we are talking about a rectangular side with the largest area. I don't think they cut the glass at an angle other than 90 degrees.
Anyway, the answer is E because the area of 2,400 although greater than 36*60 = 2,160, if the dimensions of the sheet are 30 and 80, it will not cover the tabletop.
But if the dimensions are 40 and 60, then yes.
The sheet of glass needs to cover the tabletop, not necessarily to be of identical dimensions. In other words, the sheet of glass can be larger than the tabletop, although this isn't practical....[/quote]

Oops i missed this part.
The question says "rectangular sheet of glass..."

In this case then your reasoning is perfectly correct.

If you like my Question/Explanation or the contribution, Kindly appreciate by pressing KUDOS.
Kudos always maximizes GMATCLUB worth
-Game Theory

If you have any question regarding my post, kindly pm me or else I won't be able to reply

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-23-2012
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2012, 05:57
Bunuel wrote:

1) nothing can be deduced regarding the dimension of sheet of glass
2) nothing can be deduced regarding the dimension of tabletop

combining both statements:
by this also the dimension of glass sheet can not be calculated. Hence E

FOCUS..this is all I need!

Ku-Do!

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2012, 02:54
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
SOLUTION

Even when we consider the two statements together we can have for instance the following cases: if the dimensions of the glass are 40*60, then the answer would be YES but if the dimensions of the glass are 1*2,400, then the answer would be NO. Not sufficient.

Answer: E.

Kudos points given to everyone with correct solution. Let me know if I missed someone.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2013, 05:14
E...

Initial i thought A...thinking that the word PARALLEL, but it mean JUST parallel not lying on the same edges

I welcome analysis on my posts and kudo +1 if helpful. It helps me to improve my craft.Thank you

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2013, 07:38

(2) The area of one side of the sheet of glass is 2,400 square inches

Question Stem Gives:

Rewording is impossible for me on this one. So I'm not even going to try to spend a minute trying to reword.
I used the following method. Question Stem provides me with 2 items.

Sheet of Glass & Tabletop

Statement 1) know 1, but not the other, so Not Sufficient
Statement 2) know 1, but not the other, so Not Sufficient

Combined: Use extremities. From what the OG guides states, 40x60=2,400, makes sense.
Since, I did not reword, I have to prove that the answer 2,400, could be a result of multiple combinations to prove an insufficient answer as a combination. ( this is for most people getting down to a 50/50 split, and guess incorrectly, this is an extra step to eliminate guessing from your answer choices) prove the statement wrong in other words.

But what if 2,400=240x10 inches? kind of farfetched, but it proves insufficiency.

Correct answer E.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2013, 13:56
This post received
KUDOS
selfishmofo wrote:

Question Stem Gives:

Rewording is impossible for me on this one. So I'm not even going to try to spend a minute trying to reword.

Combined: Use extremities. From what the OG guides states, 40x60=2,400, makes sense.
Since, I did not reword, I have to prove that the answer 2,400, could be a result of multiple combinations to prove an insufficient answer as a combination. ( this is for most people getting down to a 50/50 split, and guess incorrectly, this is an extra step to eliminate guessing from your answer choices) prove the statement wrong in other words.

But what if 2,400=240x10 inches? kind of farfetched, but it proves insufficiency.

Correct answer E.

Can anyone explain what the sheet is?
I don't understand what "(2) The area of one side of the sheet of glass is 2,400 square inches."
What is one side of the sheet? isn't the sheet just a flat piece of glass?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2013, 14:03
ronr34 wrote:
selfishmofo wrote:

Question Stem Gives:

Correct answer E.

Can anyone explain what the sheet is?
I don't understand what "(2) The area of one side of the sheet of glass is 2,400 square inches."
What is one side of the sheet? isn't the sheet just a flat piece of glass?

Interpret it as stand (table), and a sheet (glass) that goes on top of the stand.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2013, 13:17

Ok, I'm a bit confused here.

I see why (1) and (2) alone are insufficient...

However, the maximum area of the table is 2160 while the stated area of the glass is 2400. Even if we were to manipulate the glass perimeter, we could never get it to be 36*60.

The wording is a bit ambiguous when it talks about "parallel to the edges." For example, looking at Bunuel's example, I can understand that the piece of glass may go over the edges of the table but it's edges are still parallel with it. However, the other example used to prove insufficiency was a piece of glass 1*2400. Though slightly hard to visualize, wouldn't the edges still be parallel to the table? Unless of course they are being really obtuse and assuming you could place it at an angle to the table...
Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2013, 02:03
WholeLottaLove wrote:

Ok, I'm a bit confused here.

I see why (1) and (2) alone are insufficient...

However, the maximum area of the table is 2160 while the stated area of the glass is 2400. Even if we were to manipulate the glass perimeter, we could never get it to be 36*60.

The wording is a bit ambiguous when it talks about "parallel to the edges." For example, looking at Bunuel's example, I can understand that the piece of glass may go over the edges of the table but it's edges are still parallel with it. However, the other example used to prove insufficiency was a piece of glass 1*2400. Though slightly hard to visualize, wouldn't the edges still be parallel to the table? Unless of course they are being really obtuse and assuming you could place it at an angle to the table...

If the dimensions of the glass are 1*2,400, then the glass will not cover the entire tabletop.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Manager
Manager
GPA: 3
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2014, 10:38
Already mentioned in the question " Rectangular glass sheet"

One part of the question I understood " that it covers entire table-top" , to suffice this condition glass sheet must have as same dimensions (length and breadth) as table.
What does " its edges are parallel to the edges of the tabletop" mean ?

fameatop wrote:

Answer E

"Arise, Awake and Stop not till the goal is reached"

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2014, 03:27
veerdonjuan wrote:
Already mentioned in the question " Rectangular glass sheet"

One part of the question I understood " that it covers entire table-top" , to suffice this condition glass sheet must have as same dimensions (length and breadth) as table.
What does " its edges are parallel to the edges of the tabletop" mean ?

fameatop wrote:

Answer E

It means that it must be as shown on the first figure not, for example, as on the second:
Attachment:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png [ 3.42 KiB | Viewed 14039 times ]

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GMAT Date: 12-15-2014
WE: Other (Transportation)
OG 13th ED DS Q32 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2015, 21:44
This post received
KUDOS
Should the answer not be C rather than E?

Can a certain rectangular sheet of glass be positioned on a rectangular table top so that it covers the entire tabletop and its edges are parallel to the edges of the table top?
1. The table top is 36 inches wide and 60 inches Long
2. The area of one side of the sheet of glass is 2,400 sq inches.

solution:
1. NS
2. NS
1 + 2: here is my point of contention. The Q asks 'can' which suggest to me 'is it possible' based on info in 1 and 2 it is possible. Sure, it is also not possible but the question does not ask for certainty it only asks for 'possibility'. If the Q was reworded 'Does a certain rectangular sheet of glass, positioned on a table top, cover the entire tabletop with edges parallel to the table top? Then I can see how 1 + 2 together could be insufficient. Perhaps I am over interpreting the question or simply my interpretation is grammatically incorrect.

Your thoughts?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Re: OG 13th ED DS Q32 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2015, 21:50
This post received
KUDOS
They are both insufficient together, in GMAT whenever they ask you for a possibility they want to know if its possible for sure, so even if there is a possibility with both the set of data, for it to be not possible, then they are insufficient.
Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2015, 03:27
mpcostello wrote:

Can a certain rectangular sheet of glass be positioned on a rectangular table top so that it covers the entire tabletop and its edges are parallel to the edges of the table top?

solution:
1. NS
2. NS
1 + 2: here is my point of contention. The Q asks 'can' which suggest to me 'is it possible' based on info in 1 and 2 it is possible. Sure, it is also not possible but the question does not ask for certainty it only asks for 'possibility'. If the Q was reworded 'Does a certain rectangular sheet of glass, positioned on a table top, cover the entire tabletop with edges parallel to the table top? Then I can see how 1 + 2 together could be insufficient. Perhaps I am over interpreting the question or simply my interpretation is grammatically incorrect.

Your thoughts?

Merging topics.

All OG13 questions are HERE.

Please read carefully and follow: rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html Pay attention to rules 1, and 3. Thank you.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Chat Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Sloan '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2015, 03:14
mpcostello wrote:

solution:
1. NS
2. NS

Your thoughts?

I thought the same. Bunuel, can you comment please?

If my post was helpful, press Kudos. If not, then just press Kudos !!!

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
S

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2015, 00:17
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Ergenekon wrote:
mpcostello wrote:

solution:
1. NS
2. NS

Your thoughts?

I thought the same. Bunuel, can you comment please?

Dear Ergenekon and mpcostello

The word 'can' in the question is for the verb 'positioned'. Imagine that I handed you an actual glass sheet to put on top of a table. The dimensions of this glass sheet are greater than those of the table. Can I then be sure that the glass sheet IS DEFINITELY going to cover the table top? NO, right? Because whether the glass sheet covers the table or not will also depend on how you position it on the table. Look at the two cases below:

In the glass sheet that I gave you in this hypothetical example, there was at least a possibility that the glass sheet could cover the table top. Because the dimensions of this glass sheet were greater than those of the table. So, you could say 'YES, IT CAN cover the table top, though whether it actually does cover it or not depends on how you position it.'

Suppose however, I gave you a glass sheet whose length and breadth were much smaller than the length and breadth respectively of the table. Now, if I ask you the same question: 'Can the glass sheet cover the table top?' What will your answer be? 'NO, IT CANNOT'

So, if you come to know the dimensions of the glass sheet, you can answer, 'YES IT CAN cover the table top' or 'NO, IT CANNOT cover the table top.'

In this question, we were just told that the area of the sheet is 2400 sq. inches. This leads to multiple possible values of (L,B) of the sheet. If say (L,B) are (60,40), then the answer is 'YES, IT CAN cover the table top' but if (L,B) are (80,30) or (2400, 1), then the answer is 'NO, IT CANNOT cover the table top'

Thus, we could not find a unique answer to the question because we could not find unique dimensions of the glass sheet. So, the answer is E.

Hope this helped clarify your doubt! :)

Best Regards

Japinder

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Re: Can a certain rectangular sheet of glass be positioned on a   [#permalink] 22 May 2015, 00:17

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 29 posts ] 

Can a certain rectangular sheet of glass be positioned on a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap