Last visit was: 12 May 2024, 19:06 It is currently 12 May 2024, 19:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 845 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Send PM
Re: Harvard Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
undergradtomba wrote:
Female, 26 years old

4 years full time work experience in CPG - I worked in marketing for a year, supply chain for a year (managed a team of 4), and will have two years of experience managing a >$100m e-commerce business at my current company. I was given a promotion within one month of being hired at my current company. All three organizations have been leading CPGs in their respective categories.

I am the chief volunteer for a local animal rescue, am a photographer in my free time, and have been a competitive athlete for many years (club team in college).

3.8 GPA from Stanford University

GMAT score 760, 45 verbal, 49 quant (took exam once)

From the United States

Intended industry: consulting with long-term goal of working in strategy at top CPG

Applying round 1

Would love to know what my chances might look like.

Thank you in advance!

Posted from my mobile device

I think I just responded to you in the Stanford thread, and my answer isn't going to be terribly different. Yes, you have a competitive profile for HBS and should apply to HBS, but don't apply only to HBS or even just to HBS and Stanford. Consider other top programs that support your goals, as i mentioned there: Kellogg, Haas, Duke, Booth, Wharton, Yale .

Best,
Linda
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Re: Harvard Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Kudos
Accepted.com wrote:
undergradtomba wrote:
Female, 26 years old

4 years full time work experience in CPG - I worked in marketing for a year, supply chain for a year (managed a team of 4), and will have two years of experience managing a >$100m e-commerce business at my current company. I was given a promotion within one month of being hired at my current company. All three organizations have been leading CPGs in their respective categories.

I am the chief volunteer for a local animal rescue, am a photographer in my free time, and have been a competitive athlete for many years (club team in college).

3.8 GPA from Stanford University

GMAT score 760, 45 verbal, 49 quant (took exam once)

From the United States

Intended industry: consulting with long-term goal of working in strategy at top CPG

Applying round 1

Would love to know what my chances might look like.

Thank you in advance!

Posted from my mobile device

I think I just responded to you in the Stanford thread, and my answer isn't going to be terribly different. Yes, you have a competitive profile for HBS and should apply to HBS, but don't apply only to HBS or even just to HBS and Stanford. Consider other top programs that support your goals, as i mentioned there: Kellogg, Haas, Duke, Booth, Wharton, Yale .

Best,
Linda

Thank you so much for your time and advice!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Accepted.com wrote:
hemlocker wrote:
Posting this again since I didn't get a response previously :D

Background
- Demographic
--- 25, Male, Chinese-Canadian
- Academics
--- B.Sc, Computer Science at Top-20
--- Published 2 papers in mid-tier journals
--- TA'ed for 2 courses
--- Graduated in 3 (usually 4) years
- Scores
--- GPA - 3.40
--- GRE: Q:166, V:162, AWA:5 (Projected)

Experience (oldest - most recent)
- 1-year - Tech Founder
--- tech software start-up (3 people)
--- got into a semi-prestigious accelerator
--- flunked without raising money
- 2-year - Software Engineer
--- at a famous tech unicorn that got pretty well-known recently
--- youngest senior engineer there, and was one of the top contributors
--- owned many key systems and was reallocated to the highest priority team company wide
--- no leadership role
- 1-year - Project Manager (current)
--- volunteering full-time at a small but international NGO thats been around for a long time
--- coordinating 6 people in 6 different African countries, each them having a team of (3-7)
--- project didn't exist before, defined the objectives + assembled the personale (though these people had a small involvement with the NGO before)
--- currently on-site in Africa (not sure if it means anything)
--- $ figures are very small & project is still at proposal stage

Personal Essay
- A few things to distinguish me + justifying the low GPA
--- Homeless while I was in College + worked 30 hrs/wk
--- Found my way into a sweatshop in China after high school

References
- Harvard Ph.D
- Harvard MPA

Post MBA
- Starting an international social business focusing on solving education problems in developing countries using cutting-edge technology

Target Schools
- Harvard, Stanford, other (top 10 global)
- Applying Jan deadline (R2 Harvard)

Concerns
- General lack of leadership experience except the current volunteering role
- All my work experience lack prestige. The non-profit is small. The tech company I was at is not the Big 4.
- Can't really wait a year. The full-time volunteering gig is precarious. If I can't get in this year, my next career move will have to be a step back progression wise.
- The personal essay doesn't have a lot going with regards to leadership potential. Not sure if my profile is strong enough without highlighting these particularities.

I have a question before i reply. How could you be the youngest senior engineer, "owned many key systems" and have "no leadership experience" there. Leadership isn't just title. It's having the ability to inspire and empower. If you did that, you led, even if you didn't have a manager title or team lead title.

Please clarify.

Thanks for the reply.

Ahh interesting. I guess my idea of leadership was much more narrow in the sense of having clear lines of authority and decision power. Perhaps titles as you mentioned.

Interesting to see that the attributes I would characterize as being a strong individual contributor / maybe good team-working skills to be also the leadership qualities that these schools are looking for.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 4
Send PM
e

Originally posted by alchya on 04 Sep 2020, 08:01.
Last edited by alchya on 22 Dec 2020, 10:44, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hi all, was hoping to get some feedback into what you think my chances are.
I am a bit older, however I believe my somewhat unique career path necessitated this.

33M (will be 34 when beginning an MBA next year). 1st generation Australian.
Medical doctor, with medical degree from one of Australia's top med schools, unfortunately they don't give GPAs though.

Currently 9th year work experience. Mainly worked in surgery. Leadership- leader of surgical team. performed over 1000 operations, peoples lives in your hands (literally) daily. Authored and published research papers, which have won awards and have been presented and both national and international conferences.
relief, cover and assistance with the frontline covid pandemic response in areas of need.
References will be stellar from 2 surgeons.

I am disappointed at my GMAT which is only 720 (Q47V42). I scored 780,730 and 770 in my final CATs so I'm considering retaking it.

Reason for MBA- I've always had aspirations in medicine and finance and despite initially following the medical pathway I've always yearned to combine the two. I have accomplished all I have set out to do in medicine / surgery and wanted to transition into healthcare investing. However, with what's been happening in the world this year I've also developed an interest into joining the pharmaceutical industry, trying to have a larger impact on global health than one can do as a single dr.

My plan was to apply to LBS, however HBS has always been a dream of mine. Was wondering if I had a chance (at either?)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hello majinga,
It is not uncommon for a medical doctor to pursue MBA, rather it is a distinguishing factor. As a testimony, Harvard has a joint MD/MBA for such candidates too. Vis-à-vis your age, where in most cases I would advise candidates to go in for an EMBA, it would make more sense for you to pursue a full-time, and I think your application essays should focus clearly on how you will benefit from that.
Please be more focused about your reason for MBA (you can’t be dabbling with two ideas). Make them very specific. And, if you are sure about getting a much higher GMAT score, you should retake GMAT by all means.

majinga wrote:
I am a bit older, however I believe my somewhat unique career path necessitated this.

Medical doctor, with medical degree from one of Australia's top med schools, unfortunately they don't give GPAs though.

Currently 9th year work experience. Mainly worked in surgery. Leadership- leader of surgical team. performed over 1000 operations, peoples lives in your hands (literally) daily. Authored and published research papers, which have won awards and have been presented and both national and international conferences.
relief, cover and assistance with the frontline covid pandemic response in areas of need.

I am disappointed at my GMAT which is only 720 (Q47V42). I scored 780,730 and 770 in my final CATs so I'm considering retaking it.

Reason for MBA- I've always had aspirations in medicine and finance and despite initially following the medical pathway I've always yearned to combine the two. I have accomplished all I have set out to do in medicine / surgery and wanted to transition into healthcare investing. However, with what's been happening in the world this year I've also developed an interest into joining the pharmaceutical industry, trying to have a larger impact on global health than one can do as a single dr.

My plan was to apply to LBS, however HBS has always been a dream of mine. Was wondering if I had a chance (at either?)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.19
Send PM
Background and nationality: 31M Black American LGBT
Undergrad Information: Top 10 Engineering School (Purdue, Illinois, Michigan, etc) Electrical Engineering 3.19 GPA
GMAT: 720 (Q48/V41/IR7)
Work experience and leadership: 5 years as a Lieutenant in the US Navy. Nuclear Warfare Surface Warfare. Multiple operational deployments including Black Sea and Middle East. Overseas assignment in Europe. I have deployed every year since 2015. Currently in charge of electrical machinery and equipment in support of nuclear plant operations. Division officer for 45 sailors. Lead supervisor for a team of 25 in a nuclear power plant on an aircraft carrier
Community and others: Battalion Executive Officer (2nd in command) at NROTC while in college. EC since then have been scarce due to a tour overseas and generally not being home for any significant amount of time.
Post MBA goals: Combine my undergraduate major and military experience to transition to a business development manager for a clean tech company. Specifically I am looking to work in solar cell production, electrical vehicles, micro grids, energy storage, or renewable energy finance and optimization. I want to put myself in a position to fight climate change.
Anything else? Applying R1 to HBS, GSB, Booth, Wharton, MIT
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 353 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi @PoisonDude,

Your profile seems great. HBS is anyway a great choice if you are looking for a career switch. Your GMAT and GPA are slightly on the lower side but honestly we, at MBA and Beyond, believe more in the quality of your experiences and have proved that in the past and I feel yours can bring a great story. Your military experience seems great with elements of leadership (which I can see in your ECs as well). About Extracurriculars, do not worry if you have not moved mountains in this space, just focus more on the strong aspects of your profile and you may also talk about your hobbies if you pursue any with dedication. I like your post-MBA goals and they do make sense to me, just bring out the right motivations for these goals to present a powerful story. So, on an overall note, I would say it all boils down to how you present your story. Also, I would suggest keeping some target and safety schools as well in your list. We are happy to discuss schools according to your profile and your chances at them and would love to hear your story :) . Feel free to book a free session with us as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Kashish Garg,
Community Manager, MBA and Beyond

On behalf of,
Shantanu Sharma,
Founder and Admissions Consultant, MBA and Beyond
Email: shantanu@mbaandbeyond.com
Linkedin

With more than 8 years of experience spanning across entrepreneurship and intrapreneurship, Shantanu has worked across the globe as a Procurement Manager, Product Manager (Marketing, Operations, Payments and Risk/ Fraud), Growth Consultant, eventually unraveling his love for helping candidates with their MBA application as a Coach. Shantanu started coaching applicants, with his team, right after he graduated from INSEAD in 2017.

PosidenDude wrote:
Undergrad Information: Top 10 Engineering School (Purdue, Illinois, Michigan, etc) Electrical Engineering 3.19 GPA
Work experience and leadership: 5 years as a Lieutenant in the US Navy. Nuclear Warfare Surface Warfare. Multiple operational deployments including Black Sea and Middle East. Overseas assignment in Europe. I have deployed every year since 2015. Currently in charge of electrical machinery and equipment in support of nuclear plant operations. Division officer for 45 sailors. Lead supervisor for a team of 25 in a nuclear power plant on an aircraft carrier
Community and others: Battalion Executive Officer (2nd in command) at NROTC while in college. EC since then have been scarce due to a tour overseas and generally not being home for any significant amount of time.
Post MBA goals: Combine my undergraduate major and military experience to transition to a business development manager for a clean tech company. Specifically I am looking to work in solar cell production, electrical vehicles, micro grids, energy storage, or renewable energy finance and optimization. I want to put myself in a position to fight climate change.
Send PM
Expert Reply
hemlocker wrote:
Accepted.com wrote:
hemlocker wrote:
Posting this again since I didn't get a response previously :D

Background
- Demographic
--- 25, Male, Chinese-Canadian
- Academics
--- B.Sc, Computer Science at Top-20
--- Published 2 papers in mid-tier journals
--- TA'ed for 2 courses
--- Graduated in 3 (usually 4) years
- Scores
--- GPA - 3.40
--- GRE: Q:166, V:162, AWA:5 (Projected)

Experience (oldest - most recent)
- 1-year - Tech Founder
--- tech software start-up (3 people)
--- got into a semi-prestigious accelerator
--- flunked without raising money
- 2-year - Software Engineer
--- at a famous tech unicorn that got pretty well-known recently
--- youngest senior engineer there, and was one of the top contributors
--- owned many key systems and was reallocated to the highest priority team company wide
--- no leadership role
- 1-year - Project Manager (current)
--- volunteering full-time at a small but international NGO thats been around for a long time
--- coordinating 6 people in 6 different African countries, each them having a team of (3-7)
--- project didn't exist before, defined the objectives + assembled the personale (though these people had a small involvement with the NGO before)
--- currently on-site in Africa (not sure if it means anything)
--- $ figures are very small & project is still at proposal stage

Personal Essay
- A few things to distinguish me + justifying the low GPA
--- Homeless while I was in College + worked 30 hrs/wk
--- Found my way into a sweatshop in China after high school

References
- Harvard Ph.D
- Harvard MPA

Post MBA
- Starting an international social business focusing on solving education problems in developing countries using cutting-edge technology

Target Schools
- Harvard, Stanford, other (top 10 global)
- Applying Jan deadline (R2 Harvard)

Concerns
- General lack of leadership experience except the current volunteering role
- All my work experience lack prestige. The non-profit is small. The tech company I was at is not the Big 4.
- Can't really wait a year. The full-time volunteering gig is precarious. If I can't get in this year, my next career move will have to be a step back progression wise.
- The personal essay doesn't have a lot going with regards to leadership potential. Not sure if my profile is strong enough without highlighting these particularities.

I have a question before i reply. How could you be the youngest senior engineer, "owned many key systems" and have "no leadership experience" there. Leadership isn't just title. It's having the ability to inspire and empower. If you did that, you led, even if you didn't have a manager title or team lead title.

Please clarify.

Thanks for the reply.

Ahh interesting. I guess my idea of leadership was much more narrow in the sense of having clear lines of authority and decision power. Perhaps titles as you mentioned.

Interesting to see that the attributes I would characterize as being a strong individual contributor / maybe good team-working skills to be also the leadership qualities that these schools are looking for.

You got it!
Send PM
Expert Reply
majinga wrote:

You certainly have a chance at both HBS and LBS, but better at LBS. You may also want to consider the Sloan Fellows programs at London Business School and MIT Sloan or the Stanford MSx programs. Also consider the FT Healthcare Management Program at Wharton as well as Columbia and Haas full-time MBA. Then again, if you want to continue working while you earn your MBA, the EMBA is a great option.

I'm actually speaking on this topic for GMAT Club on Sept. 25. In the meantime, check out "Applying to Regular MBA Programs as an Older Applicant."

And you might find this interview of interest too: [url=Meet Dr. Nadia Afridi, Plastic Surgeon, Recent Columbia EMBA, and Mom]Meet Dr. Nadia Afridi, Plastic Surgeon, Recent Columbia EMBA, and Mom[/url].
Send PM
Expert Reply
PosidenDude wrote:

You have an impressive profile. With a solid application, your chances are excellent at your target schools. Please let me know if you'd like help with your applications.

Best,
Linda
Own Kudos [?]: 845 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
alchya wrote:
Hi experts! I would really appreciate a profile evaluation! Thanks for your help!
I will apply for the 2+2 Harvard MBA program.

Studies:
I am an Albanian/French (20 years old, Male, from Albanian (Father) and Algerian (Mother) immigrants) student from a top 10 French Grande Ecole (Bachelor in Management ranked 4th in France, second bachelor's degree with the most applications in 2020 in France) and I have been the Best Students (Special Letter Recognition from our Director of School, sort of Dean's List) in my first two years with a 4.0/4.0 GPA (Best marks in Finance and Economics courses). I have done my exchange semester in a well known American Uni (Top 5 in Management and Economics in the World) and I had the best marks of my classes (GPA 4.0/4.0) + (Letter from my Microeconomics professor stating that I am in the top 1% among 1,000 student in this course).
Won 3 Merit scholarships from my French BS each of 1,500€ and 3 Government Merit scholarships each of 4,600€ (I had Government Merit scholarships during my high school of around 800€/year). Those Government scholarships show that my family is considered as "poor" by the French Government.
For my third year I have been chosen to pursue a Dual Degree in Germany and write a Thesis. So I will have 2 Bachelor's degrees. This German Bachelor is ranked among the Third Best Bachelor in International Business Administration in Germany. My second Bachelor specialisation is Finance so my courses will be: Finance & Investments, International Management, Advanced studies in Macroeconomics, International Monetary Economics, Multinational Enterprises Theory and Empirics, Topics in Applied Economics (Maximum level), Business Intelligence and Data Management, Seminar in Finance (Huge project in finance), Mathematics.

Start-up:
I have created a start-up in 2018 in France with 500+ customers (subscription) and 5,000+ followers on Facebook + partnerships with well known companies and another start-up this year during my exchange semester. Thanks to my first start-up I have integrated the best incubator of the South of France for 6 months. Unfortunately, I left the first start-up because of troubles with my associate and closed the second one because we had to stop our activity due to COVID-19.

Work Experience:
Internship: Sales Person in a French High-Tech Store (2 months).
International Experience:
Under limited-term contract: Redbull Albania 2 months: Marketing and Management.
Under limited-term contract: A Big 4 company in Albania: Management Consulting 2 months
Internship: CEO's Assistant of a national known French wine retailer company in Albania. (around 20 employees in the headquarters): Finance, Management. 3 months.
Internship: I will work in the Ministry of Finance of Albania close the Vice Minister of Finance for 3 months.
And I will maybe do an internship 1 month into the Bank Of Albania (Banking investments, asset management and so on (more observation and learning than practice).

Volunteering:
I have done 1 year of volunteering as a French-Albanian translator in France to help Albanian immigrants.
I also have a 1 year volunteering in my B-School. I was an ambassador of the school and had to represent it in forums and high schools. Thanks to my work during this volunteering, I had an exclusive "recommendation" from the Head of Contests and Promotion of the school.
I was also the Vice-President of the School student office and I had to manage 50 people and organise events for more than 500 persons (had to leave my position because I will pursue my third year in Germany)
I will surely join somme clubs and associations for my second Bachelor in Germany.

English (C1) and German bachelor taught in English. I speak French (native), Albanian (C1) and Spanish (B2).
Letters of recommendation: I have one letter from the Director of the Big 4 company, one from my Finance professor who is also the CEO of a French local Consulting Company and one from the start-up counsellor of my Business School who works as a CEO of a well known French company.

Others:
I have been the Captain of a local soccer team between 2014 and 2018 and we won 2 leagues. In 2013 our BasketBall team won the Regional Championship and so played as a national level and I was the captain of the team.
I won my B-School Business Game.
Online Certificate Courses: Financial Markets (Yale), Introduction to Corporate Finance (Wharton), Business and Financial Modeling Specialisation (Wharton), Private Equity and Venture Capital (Bocconi), Portfolio and Risk Management (Uni Geneva).

GMAT Official Prep Tests: 310 in June, 620 20th August, 710 (Q49 without taking timing into account) 2nd September.
I have until April so I aim 730 at least.

What are my chances? Thank you for your help and advice!!

Given your academic strength, financial obstacles overcome, experience, and multi-cultural background, you will be given serious consideration by HBS 2+2 and other deferred admissions programs. I encourage you to apply, but don't apply only to HBS. Do clarify your goals, both long-terms and pre-MBA.

You might find helpful:

*No Work Experience. Want MBA. What Should You do?
*Are Your Ready? Deferred MBA Admissions Quiz
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi All - One of my recomendor will not be able to submit his views on time. Do you think they will still consider i or will it be considered in round 2?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi All - One of my recomendor will not be able to submit his views on time. Do you think they will still consider my application? Everything else has been submitted on time
Stacy Blackman Consulting Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Unfortunately you will likely be rolled to Round 2. There are deadlines for a recent and while they might give recommenders a short grace period, I did have one client in the past be forced to Round 2 because her recommender didn't submit in time even though everything else was in. I hope it works out for you differently!

ISBapplicant1993 wrote:
Hi All - One of my recomendor will not be able to submit his views on time. Do you think they will still consider my application? Everything else has been submitted on time
Send PM
Expert Reply
ISBapplicant1993 wrote:
Hi All - One of my recomendor will not be able to submit his views on time. Do you think they will still consider i or will it be considered in round 2?

Probably Round 2.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Hi Everyone,

I am trying to evaluate my chances of getting into either MIT Sloan, Harvard or Stanford here in the US and HEC Paris, LBS in Europe.

I am a 31 yr old Indian Male living in the US for past 9 years with 8+ years of industry experience.

GMAT 730 (Q49, V40, I7)

Education:
Bachelor of Engineering in Mechatronics from Manipal Institute of Technology (GPA 8.73/10.0) was second in my class.

Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering
Master of Science in Engineering & Technology Innovation Management
Both from Carnegie Mellon University (GPA 3.6/4.0)

Work Ex:
- Failed Edtech Startup Entrepreneur. Tried launching an Edtech platform that leverages AR Technology to aid classroom teaching and improve student engagement. Got great reviews on the prototype/ product but could not achieve scale.
- Launched 10+ successful products in a myriad of industries ranging from consumer kitchen appliances and medical devices to food automation and textiles.
- Worked in product design firms, startups and small companies in the US where it is hard to show career progression in form of promotions.

Extracurriculars:
- Helped improve rice harvest productivity in my family owned land at my ancestral village with a low cost portable automation system.
- Vice Captain of a minor league hard tennis ball Cricket Team.
-Have a lot more from college days but its been several years since I graduated from it and hence not mentioning it here.

Interests:
Sports – Watch and play most sports
Social Welfare Causes – especially Education and Animal Welfare

Post MBA Goals:
I would like to either join the social sector of consulting firms or the Social Impact group of companies like Google and Amazon to drive the strategy and implementation of solutions to social problems.

Thank you for your time.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  30   31   32   33   34   35   36  ...  53   
Moderators:
HBS and Wharton Moderator
55 posts
HBS & Haas Moderator
150 posts