Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:14 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.77
WE:Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Chicago Booth or IIM B/C [#permalink]
manohar wrote:
My future career - management consulting- got a job with one of the M/B/B firms.

If you have just regular IT software experience form companies like Infosys , TCS and WIPRO, first of all getting in is much more difficult and even after getting in, finding a good internship and a good job is difficult (some people with these backgrounds do manage, though).

Hello,

I wanted to get a bit more perspective on this. I work with Infosys and do not have IIT league education. But i do have good international WE in Europe the last 4 years . Do you see students with such background in the top 20 programmes in the US ? How do they fare with the search for internships - especially those trying to change fields from IT ? Any pointers to someone on this forum ?

Tx
Intern
Intern
Re: Chicago Booth or IIM B/C [#permalink]
I have no idea about top 20 programmes. I only know about Chicago Booth. IT guys usually end up in IT companies. A few manage to shift to management consulting; at least, this is the case at Booth.
Strong IT guys are able to get into companies like Apple, Google, PayPal and Amazon at Booth. Some do struggle.

stealth897 wrote:
manohar wrote:
My future career - management consulting- got a job with one of the M/B/B firms.

If you have just regular IT software experience form companies like Infosys , TCS and WIPRO, first of all getting in is much more difficult and even after getting in, finding a good internship and a good job is difficult (some people with these backgrounds do manage, though).

Hello,

I wanted to get a bit more perspective on this. I work with Infosys and do not have IIT league education. But i do have good international WE in Europe the last 4 years . Do you see students with such background in the top 20 programmes in the US ? How do they fare with the search for internships - especially those trying to change fields from IT ? Any pointers to someone on this forum ?

Tx
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Awesome stuff Manohar coming back after 2 years and completing the story makes a lot of sense ... need some guidance please... well my best case scenario would be the one that you were in 2 years back.. and that is getting an admit from Top School and worrying about the loan.

I am from private engineering college in India worked for 3 years in ERP consultant (IT) role and then left my job did one year full time program from NISM (SEBI) in Securities Markets, now working with a private Indian Bank as FX & Derivative FO sales trader - Treasury for last 3 years.

What would you suggest best MBA for me... my concerns are

a) Tution/Loan (yes i dont have savings :| )
b) Bad acads/unknown colleges :oops:
c) Age would be 30 at the time of applying :?:
d) Duration of program ideally should be one year (considering my profile,education,money,age)

My pluses that I think are

a) Core Finance qulaity work ex (pre MBA.. i think its not common for Indian applicant..) :-D
b) Already a Post Grad :)
c) Worked in completely two different profiles i.e IT and finance :lol:
d) Decent years of workex will be 6+ by the time I apply (not sure if its a plus or minus) :?:

Please guide me on this.

I have shortlisted some schools too.. please let me know on my choice.. and suggest .. also I have heard great things about Booth for finance please enlighten and guide.

a) NTU, HKUST
b) MBS/AGSM
c) Cambridge/Oxford
d) Insead/LBS/Kellogs
e) Booth/Wharton etc
Intern
Intern
repeat post

Originally posted by manohar on 22 Jul 2014, 22:28.
Last edited by manohar on 22 Jul 2014, 22:33, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
I really don't know much about b-schools like HKUST, NTU, MBS, AGM etc. I think it is not easy to get jobs post-MBA from Oxford/ Cambridge for an Indian, given the tough immigration policies of UK.
LBS, Wharton, Booth and Kellogg are good and well known schools. If you can get into any of them, there is a good chance you won't regret it after graduating from these schools. But it is not completely assured. There is a 5 to 10% chance that you may not find a suitable job that can help you repay the huge loan you need to take.
Whether or not you can can get into any of them, I am not in a position to assess.

I think it is important to assess the post-MBA employment opportunities. You need to be clear about where you intend to work post-MBA and whether the MBA can open the doors for the kind of job you are looking for in the geography you are looking for.
Just going by rankings is not such a great idea.

Have you thought of Masters in Finance programmes? LBS, Princeton, CMU, probably MIT and some other schools have excellent programmes. Those might be a better fit for you!

caterpilar wrote:
Awesome stuff Manohar coming back after 2 years and completing the story makes a lot of sense ... need some guidance please... well my best case scenario would be the one that you were in 2 years back.. and that is getting an admit from Top School and worrying about the loan.

I am from private engineering college in India worked for 3 years in ERP consultant (IT) role and then left my job did one year full time program from NISM (SEBI) in Securities Markets, now working with a private Indian Bank as FX & Derivative FO sales trader - Treasury for last 3 years.

What would you suggest best MBA for me... my concerns are

a) Tution/Loan (yes i dont have savings :| )
b) Bad acads/unknown colleges :oops:
c) Age would be 30 at the time of applying :?:
d) Duration of program ideally should be one year (considering my profile,education,money,age)

My pluses that I think are

a) Core Finance qulaity work ex (pre MBA.. i think its not common for Indian applicant..) :-D
b) Already a Post Grad :)
c) Worked in completely two different profiles i.e IT and finance :lol:
d) Decent years of workex will be 6+ by the time I apply (not sure if its a plus or minus) :?:

Please guide me on this.

I have shortlisted some schools too.. please let me know on my choice.. and suggest .. also I have heard great things about Booth for finance please enlighten and guide.

a) NTU, HKUST
b) MBS/AGSM
c) Cambridge/Oxford
d) Insead/LBS/Kellogs
e) Booth/Wharton etc
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
This was helpful.. looks like a practical advice .. well i have thought about this before, the only glitch here is that there are not many MFin programs for someone who is having experience of 5-6 years, barring a few like LBS,Cambridge etc.

Can you suggest me some good programs in US for experienced candidate and age ~ 30.

manohar wrote:
I really don't know much about b-schools like HKUST, NTU, MBS, AGM etc. I think it is not easy to get jobs post-MBA from Oxford/ Cambridge for an Indian, given the tough immigration policies of UK.
LBS, Wharton, Booth and Kellogg are good and well known schools. If you can get into any of them, there is a good chance you won't regret it after graduating from these schools. But it is not completely assured. There is a 5 to 10% chance that you may not find a suitable job that can help you repay the huge loan you need to take.
Whether or not you can can get into any of them, I am not in a position to assess.

I think it is important to assess the post-MBA employment opportunities. You need to be clear about where you intend to work post-MBA and whether the MBA can open the doors for the kind of job you are looking for in the geography you are looking for.
Just going by rankings is not such a great idea.

Have you thought of Masters in Finance programmes? LBS, Princeton, CMU, probably MIT and some other schools have excellent programmes. Those might be a better fit for you!

GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts