GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Nov 2019, 01:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Club X has more than 10 but fewer than 40 members. Sometimes the membe

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior PS Moderator
V
GPA: 3.12
Re: Club X has more than 10 but fewer than 40 members. Sometimes the membe  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2018, 09:58
adkikani wrote:
Quote:
Club X has more than 10 but fewer than 40 members. Sometimes the members sit at tables with 3 members at one table and 4 members at each of the other tables, and sometimes they sit at tables with 3 members at one table and 5 members at each of the other tables. If they sit at tables with 6 members at each table except one and fewer than 6 members at that one table, how many members will be at the table that has fewer than 6 members?

(A) 1
(B) 2
(C) 3
(D) 4
(E) 5

pushpitkc niks18 Hatakekakashi

What is wrong with below thinking?

I know my total members in X have to be between 11 and 39.
Quote:
Sometimes the members sit at tables with 3 members at one table and 4 members at each of the other tables,

9*4 = 36
1*3 = 3
Total = 39 . .. . .(1)

Quote:
and sometimes they sit at tables with 3 members at one table and 5 members at each of the other tables

7*5 = 35
1*3 = 3
Total =38 .. ... .(2)

Do i need to perform trial and error to make (1) = (2) ?

adkikani

Without having a common number of the members of the club, it is not possible to solve this
problem. So, yes it is necessary for us to have a unique number of the members of the club.

However, we don't need to perform trial and error to arrive at such a number.
In the range 10 < x < 40
Case 1: 11,15,19,23,27,31,35,39 are possible of form 3x + 4
Case 2: 13,18,23,28,33,38 are possible of form 5x + 3

The only overlap happens at 23 and can be assumed to be the number of people at the club.
D
GPA: 3.82
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Club X has more than 10 but fewer than 40 members. Sometimes the membe  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2018, 10:29
adkikani wrote:
Quote:
Club X has more than 10 but fewer than 40 members. Sometimes the members sit at tables with 3 members at one table and 4 members at each of the other tables, and sometimes they sit at tables with 3 members at one table and 5 members at each of the other tables. If they sit at tables with 6 members at each table except one and fewer than 6 members at that one table, how many members will be at the table that has fewer than 6 members?

(A) 1
(B) 2
(C) 3
(D) 4
(E) 5

pushpitkc niks18 Hatakekakashi

What is wrong with below thinking?

I know my total members in X have to be between 11 and 39.
Quote:
Sometimes the members sit at tables with 3 members at one table and 4 members at each of the other tables,

9*4 = 36
1*3 = 3
Total = 39 . .. . .(1)

Quote:
and sometimes they sit at tables with 3 members at one table and 5 members at each of the other tables

7*5 = 35
1*3 = 3
Total =38 .. ... .(2)

Do i need to perform trial and error to make (1) = (2) ?

Hi adkikani

As you rightly mentioned that total number of members have to be in the range 11 to 39.

In the first scenario we have 3 member at One table and 4 members at other let's say \(x\) tables

So number of members will be \(= 4x+3\)

In the second scenario we have 3 member in One table and 5 members at other let's say \(y\) tables

So from this we have number of members \(= 5y+3\)

but number of members in both scenarios has to be equal so \(4x+3=5y+3=>4x=5y\)

Now in the given range there is only one possibility for the above equation to hold true \(4x=5y=20\).

Hence number of members \(= 20+3=23\)

In your method you will have to form two sets as per the given relationship and then find the common value, which will be 23
VP
VP
D
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 650 Q48 V31
GPA: 3
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2018, 23:24
x = number of members

x-3 is divisible by 4
x-3 is divisible by 5

If x-3 is divisible by 4 and 5 it must also be divisible by the LCM(4,5), which is 20.

Thus (x-3)/20 = (some Integer)
x-3 = 20(*some integer*)
X = 20(*some integer*) + 3
lets test values
x = 20(1) + 3 = 23
x = 20 (2) + 3 = 43 wait... this is outside the range of 10<x<40, so x must be 23

Thus 23/6 = 3 remainder 5

+1 Kudos if I have helped you
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2019, 02:59
Bunuel wrote:
Walkabout wrote:

(A) 1
(B) 2
(C) 3
(D) 4
(E) 5

3 members at one table and 4 members at each of the other tables, means that the total number of members is 3 more than a multiple of 4: x=4m+3.

3 members at one table and 5 members at each of the other tables, means that the total number of members is 3 more than a multiple of 5: x=5n+3.

Thus x-3 is a multiple of both 4 and 5, so a multiple of 20. Therefore x is 3 more than a multiple of 20. Since 10<x<40, then x=23.

The remainder when 23 is divided by 6 is 5.

Answer: E.

Hi Bunuel, am writing on the forum first time i think, must say am a huge huge fan of your work...

Umm, could you please explain your method once more for my slow brain to get..
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Club X has more than 10 but fewer than 40 members. Sometimes the membe   [#permalink] 22 Jun 2019, 02:59

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 24 posts ] 

Club X has more than 10 but fewer than 40 members. Sometimes the membe

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics