Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:29 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 306 [2]
Given Kudos: 259
GPA: 4
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64910 [4]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools: LBS '23 (S)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 432
Send PM
Re: Combinatorics Made Easy! [#permalink]
A group of 10 people consists of 2 married couples and 6 bachelors. A committee of 4 is to be selected from the 10 people. How many different committees can be formed if the committee can consist of at most one married couple?

Why it is not (10*9*8*6)/4! :(
I was thinking first place for anyone including person from couple, second place is for anyone including the partner of the person on the first place, third place is again for anyone left including for person from second couple, and finally fourth place is for anyone EXCEPT partner of second couple, hence it could be 6 and not 7 different persons for 4th place. Then we need to re-arrange, thus we divide by 4!.

Where am i wrong? Help, someone, please

Bunuel wrote:
Combinations with Constraints

BY KARISHMA, VERITAS PREP

In the post above, we discussed the basics of combinations. Until and unless you have worked a decent bit with combinatorics in high school, the formula of combinations will not be very intuitive. We have already discussed how you can easily think of “selection” in terms of basic counting principle and un-arranging instead of the formula, if you so desire. Today, I would like to discuss some combination questions with constraints. A very common type of such questions asks you to make a committee of r people out of n people under some constraints. Let me show you what I mean with the help of some examples.

Question 1: If a committee of 3 people is to be selected from among 6 married couples such that the committee does not include two people who are married to each other, how many such committees are possible?

(A) 20
(B) 40
(C) 80
(D) 120
(E) 160

Solution: We have 6 married couples i.e. we have 12 people. Out of these 12 people, we have to choose 3. If there were no constraints on the choice and we could choose any 3 out of these 12, in how many ways could we do that?

12 people and 3 available positions – We use basic counting principle to arrive at 12*11*10. But, recall that we have arranged the 3 people here. To un-arrange, we divide this by 3! to get 12*11*10/3! arrangements. This is what we discussed last week.

Moving forward, this question has a constraint – no two people married to each other should be selected i.e. at most one of any two married people could be selected. Say, if we select Mr. X, we cannot select Ms. X and vice versa.

Let’s try to use our basic counting principle and un-arranging method here:

You have 12 people and 3 positions. In the first position, you can put any one of the 12 people. In the second position, you can put any one of 10 people (not 11 because the spouse of the person put in 1st position cannot be put in the second position). In the third position you can put any one of 8 people. (We have already selected 2 people for the previous two places and their spouses cannot be selected for the third position so 4 of the 12 people are out.)

Total number of arrangements = 12*10*8

But mind you, these are arrangements. We just need a group of 3 people. They don’t need to be arranged in the group. So we divide these arrangements by 3! to just ‘select’ the people.

Number of committees possible = 12*10*8/3! = 160

I think this was easy, right? Let’s look at a little more complex problem now.

Question 2: A group of 10 people consists of 2 married couples and 6 bachelors. A committee of 4 is to be selected from the 10 people. How many different committees can be formed if the committee can consist of at most one married couple?

Solution: We have to select 4 people out of: 6 bachelors and 2 married couples.

The number of ways of selecting any 4 people out of 10 is 10*9*8*7/4! = 210 (Note here that we are just selecting 4 people. We are not arranging them so we divide by 4!)

The people will get selected in various ways:

1. Four bachelors
2. One from a couple and three bachelors
3. Two from two different couples and two bachelors
4. One couple and two bachelors
5. One couple, one person from a couple, one bachelor
6. Two couples

If we add the number of committees possible in each of these cases, we will get 210. Out of all these cases, only the last one (two couples) has more than one married couple. Instead of calculating the number of different committees that can be formed in each of the first five cases, we can calculate the number of committees in the last case and subtract it from 210.

How many different committees can be formed such that there are 2 couples? Only one since we have only 2 couples. We will have to select both the couples and we will get 4 people.

Number of different committees of 4 people such that there is at most one married couple = 210 – 1 = 209.

Just for practice, let’s see how we can calculate the different number of committees that can be formed in each of the first five cases. The sum of all these cases should give us 209.

1. Select 4 bachelors from 6 bachelors in 6*5*4*3/4! = 15 different committees
2. Select 1 person out of the two couples (4 people) in 4 ways and 3 bachelors from 6 bachelors in 6*5*4/3! = 20 ways. So you select the 4 people in 4*20 = 80 different committees
3. Select 2 people from 2 different couples in 4*2/2! = 4 ways and 2 bachelors from 6 bachelors in 6*5/2! = 15 ways. So you select the 4 people in 4*15 = 60 different committees
4. Select 1 couple in 2 ways and 2 bachelors from 6 bachelors in 6*5/2! = 15 ways. So you select the 4 people in 2*15 = 30 different committees
5. Select 1 couple in 2 ways, 1 person from the remaining couple in 2 ways and 1 bachelor from 6 bachelors in 6 ways. So you can select the 4 people in 2*2*6 = 24 different committees

The sum of all these five cases = 15 + 80 + 60 + 30 + 24 = 209 different committees (as expected)

Let me add here that combinatorics is a huge topic. We can put up a 100 posts on it and still not exhaust all the content. If there is a particular concept that you would like me to discuss, let me know. Else, I will follow my own train of thought and discuss the most frequently occurring topics
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [0]
Given Kudos: 477
Send PM
Combinatorics Made Easy! [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
Unfair Distributions in Combinatorics - Part 1

Question 1: In how many ways can 5 different fruits be distributed among four children? (Some children may get more than one fruit and some may get no fruits.)

(A) 4^5
(B) 5^4
(C) 5!
(D) 4!
(E) 4!*5!

Solution 1: This is the simplest case – 5 different things are to be distributed among 4 different people. Say, the five different fruits are: an apple, a banana, a strawberry, an orange and a blueberry. In how many ways can you give an apple to someone? In 4 ways. You can give the apple to any one of the 4 children. Similarly, in how many ways can you give a banana to someone? Again in 4 ways. It is acceptable to give more than one fruit to the same child so you again have 4 possibilities for the banana. Similarly, all the remaining fruits can also be distributed in 4 ways each.

Total number of ways of distributing 5 different fruits among 4 children = 4*4*4*4*4 = 4^5 ways.

Question 2: In how many ways can 5 apples (identical) be distributed among 4 children? (Some children may get no apples.)

(A) 56
(B) 144
(C) 200
(D) 256
(E) 312

Solution: We have 5 identical apples and 4 children. We want to find the number of ways in which these apples can be distributed among the children.

Method II

Let’s put the 5 apples in a row: A A A A A

We have to split them in 4 groups. The 4 groups will have a one-to-one relation with the 4 children – Apples in the first group will be given to the first child, those in the second group will be given to the second child and so on…

Say we split the apples in 4 groups in the following way: A A l A l A l A

The vertical lines separate one group from the other. The first group has 2 apples and the rest of the three groups have 1 apple each. This means, the first child gets 2 apples and each of the other 3 children get 1 apple each.

In how many different ways can we arrange these 8 objects i.e. 5 identical As and 3 identical vertical lines? In 8!/(5! * 3!) = 56 ways

We have seen how to solve this question in two different ways. A point to note here is that method II cannot be used in question 1 above. Think why

VeritasKarishma

Thank you for such comprehensive posts on combinations!

Can you pls explain why in Q1, we can't apply stick method as we have done in Q2.

I do see that in Q1 we are distributing different things, while in Q2 we are distributing identical things, but there was a similar question in a previous post in which we had to distribute 12 different chocolates equally among 4 boys and we used stick method

Here is that question
Quote:
Question 1: In how many ways can one divide twelve different chocolate bars equally among four boys?

you can visualize putting the 12 chocolates in a row in 12! ways and drawing a line after every three chocolates to demarcate the groups.

OOO l OOO l OOO l OOO

Since the chocolates within the groups are not arranged, we divide 12! by 3! for every group. Since there are 4 groups, number of ways of making 4 distinct groups = 12!/(3!*3!*3!*3!)

Originally posted by GDT on 01 May 2020, 04:30.
Last edited by GDT on 03 May 2020, 09:15, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
When Permutations & Combinations and Data Sufficiency Come Together on the GMAT!

Now, what if we alter the question slightly and make it:

Question 2: There are x children and y chairs arranged in a circle in a room where x and y are prime numbers. In how many ways can the x children be seated in the y chairs (assuming that each chair can seat exactly one child)?

Statement 1: x + y = 12
Statement 2: There are more chairs than children

Hi VeritasKarishma, MentorTutoring

Just want to confirm if my reasoning for the 1st statement to this ques is correct

Statement 1
Case 1 x=5 children , y = 7chairs
No. of arrangements= 6 x 5 x 4 x 3=360 (because 1st person sits in 1 way, other children sit relative to the first, and 2 chairs can remain vacant)

Case 2 x=7 children, y=5 chairs
No. of arrangements= 7C5* 4! (7C5 to select 5 children out of 7 then arrange them in (5-1)! ways

Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by GDT on 01 May 2020, 06:30.
Last edited by GDT on 02 May 2020, 08:49, edited 3 times in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
When Permutations & Combinations and Data Sufficiency Come Together on the GMAT!

Question 1: There are x children and y chairs in a room where x and y are prime numbers. In how many ways can the x children be seated in the y chairs (assuming that each chair can seat exactly one child)?

Statement 2: There are more chairs than children.

Solution:

There are x children and y chairs.

x and y are prime numbers.

Since x and y are prime numbers, a quick run on 2, 3, 5 shows that there are two possible cases:

Case 1: x=5 and y=7

There are 5 children and 7 chairs.

Case 2: x=7 and y=5

There are 7 children and 5 chairs

At first glance, they might look like two different cases and you might feel that statement 1 is not sufficient alone. But note that the question doesn’t ask you for number of children or number of chairs. It asks you about the number of arrangements.

If there are 5 children and 7 chairs, we select 5 chairs out of the 7 in 7C5 ways. We can now arrange 5 children in 5 seats in 5! ways.

Total number of arrangements would be 7C5 * 5!

Case 2: x = 7 and y = 5

If there are 7 children and 5 chairs, we select 5 children out of the 7 in 7C5 ways. We can now arrange 5 children in 5 seats in 5! ways.

Note that in both cases the number of arrangements is 7C5*5!. Combinatorics does not distinguish between people and things. 7 children on 5 seats is the same as 5 children on 7 seats because in each case you have to select 5 out of 7 (either seats or children) and then arrange 5 children in 5! ways.

So actually this statement alone is sufficient! Most people would not have seen that coming!

Answer: A This question is discussed HERE.

VeritasKarishma

Just a quick question, why are we not using the concept of vacant seats in Case 1 (highlighted above)

Say there are 3 children- A, B, C and 4 chairs, so an arrangement of A, Vacant, B, C will be different from A, B , Vacant, C

Kindly clarify

Originally posted by GDT on 01 May 2020, 06:37.
Last edited by GDT on 03 May 2020, 09:11, edited 2 times in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Question 4: In how many ways can 10 different paintings be distributed between two collectors – Dave and Mona – if both collectors should get an odd number of paintings? (All paintings should be given away.)

VeritasKarishma, MentorTutoring

I've a small doubt in this question. Since we are distributing paintings b/w 2 collectors and we've to fully distribute them , both painters will have either odd no. of paintings or even no. of paintings.

Total ways to distribute is 2^10=1024

If both have even no. then possible combos would be 6---> (0,10), (2,8), (4,6), (10,0), (8,2), (6,4)
therefore, no. of ways for even = (1+10C2+10C4)*2=512

So odd should be 1024-512=512 ways
But possible odd combos are 5--->(1,9), (3,7), (5,5), (7,3), (9,1)

therefore, no. of ways for odd = (10C1+10C3)*2 +1 =261

Pls explain

Thanks in advance!
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
GDT wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Question 4: In how many ways can 10 different paintings be distributed between two collectors – Dave and Mona – if both collectors should get an odd number of paintings? (All paintings should be given away.)

I've a small doubt in this question. Since we are distributing paintings b/w 2 collectors and we've to fully distribute them , both painters will have either odd no. of paintings or even no. of paintings.

If both have even no. then possible combos would be 6---> (0,10), (2,8), (4,6), (10,0), (8,2), (6,4)

Pls explain

Thanks in advance!

Hello, GDT. Thank you for tagging me. I think the problem with your approach in the last part is that you equated 10C5 with 1, rather than adding it as a separate entity. I mapped out the prospects with a focus on one person at a time and arrived at the target response.

Number of ways in which each person could receive painting(s), as if D picked first:

D | M
10 | 1 (from 10C1)
120 | 1 (from 10C3)
252 | 1 (from 10C5)
120 | 1 (from 10C7)
10 | 1 (from 10C9)

Adding the five combinations yields 10 + 120 + 252 + 120 + 10, or 512 ways. I hope that helps. If you have further questions, feel free to ask.

- Andrew
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
MentorTutoring wrote:
GDT wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Pls explain

Thanks in advance!

Hello, GDT. Thank you for tagging me. I think the problem with your approach in the last part is that you equated 10C5 with 1, rather than adding it as a separate entity. I mapped out the prospects with a focus on one person at a time and arrived at the target response.

Number of ways in which each person could receive painting(s), as if D picked first:

D | M
10 | 1 (from 10C1)
120 | 1 (from 10C3)
252 | 1 (from 10C5)
120 | 1 (from 10C7)
10 | 1 (from 10C9)

Adding the five combinations yields 10 + 120 + 252 + 120 + 10, or 512 ways. I hope that helps. If you have further questions, feel free to ask.

- Andrew

Oh I think I mixed up one instance of (5,5) to 1 way. Now it's clear.

Thanks a lot for the help!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM

Can you pls explain some other way (W/o using formula) to do this question

Bunuel wrote:
. In how many ways can 5 rings be worn on the four particular fingers of the right hand?
(A) 4^5
(B) 5^4
(C) 8C3
(D) 8P3
(E) 4!*5!

OA for this question is 4^5 with OE as Economist showed in his post. But I do think that it's not correct, see my reasoning of it in my previous post.

We have 5 identical rings and 4 particular fingers. We want to count how in how many ways these 5 rings can be worn on 4 fingers. Basically it's the same as the total number of ways of dividing n identical items among r persons, each one of whom, can receive 0,1,2 or more items, which is:
n+r-1Cr-1.

In our case n=5 and r=4: (5+4-1)C(4-1)=8C3=56

Answer: C.

I found this question here https://gmatclub.com/forum/5-rings-on-4 ... 86111.html but the post was blocked for further replies, so couldn't post there.

Thanks in advance!
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
GDT wrote:

Bunuel wrote:
. In how many ways can 5 rings be worn on the four particular fingers of the right hand?
(A) 4^5
(B) 5^4
(C) 8C3
(D) 8P3
(E) 4!*5!

OA for this question is 4^5 with OE as Economist showed in his post. But I do think that it's not correct, see my reasoning of it in my previous post.

We have 5 identical rings and 4 particular fingers. We want to count how in how many ways these 5 rings can be worn on 4 fingers. Basically it's the same as the total number of ways of dividing n identical items among r persons, each one of whom, can receive 0,1,2 or more items, which is:
n+r-1Cr-1.

I found this question here https://gmatclub.com/forum/5-rings-on-4 ... 86111.html but the post was blocked for further replies, so couldn't post there.

Thanks in advance!

Sure thing, GDT. What a strangely phrased question. I guess we have to assume identical rings, and I also guess that we are not counting the thumb (or else we are talking about a four-fingered Simpsons character or something). You can map the number of rings onto a given finger to create a matrix. For instance,

5 0 0 0

indicates 5 rings on the first particular finger and 0 on the rest. Work through the different combinations by keeping one number at a time steady. I like to start on the left. To be honest, although this approach looks awful, as though it would be a time-consuming mess, you can rely on pattern recognition to derive an answer more quickly. For instance, consider the pattern that starts with 0 5: 0 5 (one way to arrange the following two digits); 0 4 (two ways); 0 3 (three ways); 0 2 (four ways); 0 1 (five ways); 0 0 (six ways). Such pattern recognition could spare you from having to map out all the combinations. In any case, I would not call this an elegant solution, but it will provide an answer in a way that differs from the approach above. (If I could put the following on a black background, make the digits scroll, and color them neon green, I would do so, but alas, I lack such knowledge.)

5 0 0 0 (one way in which to put 5 in the first slot)
4 1 0 0
4 0 1 0
4 0 0 1 (three ways in which to put 4 in the first slot)
3 2 0 0
3 0 2 0
3 0 0 2
3 1 1 0
3 1 0 1
3 0 1 1 (six ways in which to put 3 in the first slot)
2 3 0 0
2 0 3 0
2 0 0 3
2 2 1 0
2 2 0 1
2 1 2 0
2 1 0 2
2 1 1 1
2 0 2 1
2 0 1 2 (ten ways in which to put 2 in the first slot)
1 4 0 0
1 0 4 0
1 0 0 4
1 3 1 0
1 3 0 1
1 2 2 0
1 2 0 2
1 2 1 1
1 1 2 1
1 1 1 2
1 0 3 1
1 0 1 3
1 0 2 2 (thirteen ways in which to put 1 in the first slot)
0 5 0 0
0 0 5 0
0 0 0 5
0 4 1 0
0 4 0 1
0 3 2 0
0 3 0 2
0 3 1 1
0 2 3 0
0 2 0 3
0 2 2 1
0 2 1 2
0 1 4 0
0 1 0 4
0 1 3 1
0 1 1 3
0 1 2 2
0 0 5 0
0 0 0 5
0 0 4 1
0 0 1 4
0 0 3 2
0 0 2 3 (twenty-three ways in which to put 0 in the first slot)

Altogether, that makes 1 + 3 + 6 + 10 + 13 + 23, or 56 ways in which to arrange these identical rings on four particular fingers. Phew! I need a break after that one.

- Andrew
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64910 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
GDT wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Unfair Distributions in Combinatorics - Part 1

Question 1: In how many ways can 5 different fruits be distributed among four children? (Some children may get more than one fruit and some may get no fruits.)

(A) 4^5
(B) 5^4
(C) 5!
(D) 4!
(E) 4!*5!

Solution 1: This is the simplest case – 5 different things are to be distributed among 4 different people. Say, the five different fruits are: an apple, a banana, a strawberry, an orange and a blueberry. In how many ways can you give an apple to someone? In 4 ways. You can give the apple to any one of the 4 children. Similarly, in how many ways can you give a banana to someone? Again in 4 ways. It is acceptable to give more than one fruit to the same child so you again have 4 possibilities for the banana. Similarly, all the remaining fruits can also be distributed in 4 ways each.

Total number of ways of distributing 5 different fruits among 4 children = 4*4*4*4*4 = 4^5 ways.

Question 2: In how many ways can 5 apples (identical) be distributed among 4 children? (Some children may get no apples.)

(A) 56
(B) 144
(C) 200
(D) 256
(E) 312

Solution: We have 5 identical apples and 4 children. We want to find the number of ways in which these apples can be distributed among the children.

Method II

We have to split them in 4 groups. The 4 groups will have a one-to-one relation with the 4 children – Apples in the first group will be given to the first child, those in the second group will be given to the second child and so on…

The vertical lines separate one group from the other. The first group has 2 apples and the rest of the three groups have 1 apple each. This means, the first child gets 2 apples and each of the other 3 children get 1 apple each.

In how many different ways can we arrange these 8 objects i.e. 5 identical As and 3 identical vertical lines? In 8!/(5! * 3!) = 56 ways

We have seen how to solve this question in two different ways. A point to note here is that method II cannot be used in question 1 above. Think why

VeritasKarishma

Thank you for such comprehensive posts on combinations!

Can you pls explain why in Q1, we can't apply stick method as we have done in Q2.

I do see that in Q1 we are distributing different things, while in Q2 we are distributing identical things, but there was a similar question in a previous post in which we had to distribute 12 different chocolates equally among 4 boys and we used stick method

Here is that question
Quote:
Question 1: In how many ways can one divide twelve different chocolate bars equally among four boys?

you can visualize putting the 12 chocolates in a row in 12! ways and drawing a line after every three chocolates to demarcate the groups.

OOO l OOO l OOO l OOO

Since the chocolates within the groups are not arranged, we divide 12! by 3! for every group. Since there are 4 groups, number of ways of making 4 distinct groups = 12!/(3!*3!*3!*3!)

Q1 cannot be done using the stick method because with distinct things, it arranges the things in the same group.

When you do 8!/3! to arrange the 5 fruits and 3 sticks (the sticks are identical), you are arranging the fruits even when they are going to the same person.

Say there are 5 fruits: A, B, C, D and E

A | BC | D | E
will be one case and

A | CB | D | E
will be another distinct case

But that is not correct. These both are a single case only.

We could use this method in the chocolate and boys question because there, the groups are defined as 3 chocolates per boy. So we can divide the arrangements by 3! for each group to un-arrange the chocolates within a group.
In our fruits question, the kids may receive different number of fruits in different cases. So we cannot un-arrange. For the case above, we need to divide by 2! but for something like A | | BCD | E, we need to divide by 3!. Since un-arranging would change case by case, we cannot use that method here.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64910 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
GDT wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Now, what if we alter the question slightly and make it:

Question 2: There are x children and y chairs arranged in a circle in a room where x and y are prime numbers. In how many ways can the x children be seated in the y chairs (assuming that each chair can seat exactly one child)?

Statement 2: There are more chairs than children

Hi VeritasKarishma, MentorTutoring

Just want to confirm if my reasoning for the 1st statement to this ques is correct

Statement 1
Case 1 x=5 children , y = 7chairs
No. of arrangements= 6 x 5 x 4 x 3=360 (because 1st person sits in 1 way, other children sit relative to the first, and 2 chairs can remain vacant)

Case 2 x=7 children, y=5 chairs
No. of arrangements= 7C5* 4! (7C5 to select 5 children out of 7 then arrange them in (5-1)! ways

Thanks in advance!

Yes, this is correct. Here, number of arrangements will be different.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64910 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
GDT wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Question 1: There are x children and y chairs in a room where x and y are prime numbers. In how many ways can the x children be seated in the y chairs (assuming that each chair can seat exactly one child)?

Statement 2: There are more chairs than children.

Solution:

There are x children and y chairs.

x and y are prime numbers.

Since x and y are prime numbers, a quick run on 2, 3, 5 shows that there are two possible cases:

There are 5 children and 7 chairs.

Case 2: x=7 and y=5

There are 7 children and 5 chairs

At first glance, they might look like two different cases and you might feel that statement 1 is not sufficient alone. But note that the question doesn’t ask you for number of children or number of chairs. It asks you about the number of arrangements.

If there are 5 children and 7 chairs, we select 5 chairs out of the 7 in 7C5 ways. We can now arrange 5 children in 5 seats in 5! ways.

Case 2: x = 7 and y = 5

If there are 7 children and 5 chairs, we select 5 children out of the 7 in 7C5 ways. We can now arrange 5 children in 5 seats in 5! ways.

Note that in both cases the number of arrangements is 7C5*5!. Combinatorics does not distinguish between people and things. 7 children on 5 seats is the same as 5 children on 7 seats because in each case you have to select 5 out of 7 (either seats or children) and then arrange 5 children in 5! ways.

So actually this statement alone is sufficient! Most people would not have seen that coming!

Answer: A This question is discussed HERE.

VeritasKarishma

Just a quick question, why are we not using the concept of vacant seats in Case 1 (highlighted above)

Say there are 3 children- A, B, C and 4 chairs, so an arrangement of A, Vacant, B, C will be different from A, B , Vacant, C

Kindly clarify

You can.
If you select 3 of the 4 chairs you get 4C3 = 4.
Then arrange 3 people in 3! ways.
Total = 4 * 3!

or you can arrange A, B, C and V in 4! ways.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64910 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
GDT wrote:

Bunuel wrote:
(A) 4^5
(B) 5^4
(C) 8C3
(D) 8P3
(E) 4!*5!

n+r-1Cr-1.

Thanks in advance!

5 identical rings on 4 fingers. 5 things can be distributed into 4 groups in these ways:

{5, 0, 0, 0} - select the finger in 4C1 ways
{4, 1, 0, 0}, - select 2 fingers in 4C2 ways and select one finger of those 2 to get 4 rings in 2 ways = 4C2 * 2
{3, 2, 0, 0}, - Same as above = 4C2 * 2
{3, 1, 1, 0}, - select 3 fingers in 4C3 ways and select the one that gets 3 rings in 3 ways = 4*3
{2, 2, 1, 0}, - same as above = 4*3
{2, 1, 1, 1} = select the finger that gets 2 rings in 4 ways

Total = 4 + 4C2 * 2 * 2 + 4* 3* 2 + 4 = 56
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hi Bunuel ,VeritasKarishma

(I'm a new user, please pardon possible mistakes).

Thanks for the great explanation. I would like to ask one thing. I'm struggling to understand why the concept of "groups" which you explained in "Using Combinations to make Groups" with the chocolate to boys-example does not translate to the Question 2 in "Tackling the Beast Together" where you analyse the amount of letter combinations of the word "Infinity".
In both examples we first multiply a number of binomial coefficients with each other to attain the "total set" of combinations. In case of the letters, we then, however, arrange them by for example multiplying by \(\frac{4!}{2!}\) (Case 2).

-> How does it happen that in the chocolate-to-boys-example the multiplication of the individual binomial coefficients \(12C3 * 9C3 * 6C3 *3C3\) automatically considers the outside arrangement of the boys (basically, relative to each binomial coefficient) but the multiplication of the binom. coefficients in the Infinity-letter-example, like in its Case 2, \(2C1 * 4C2\) does not automatically arrange them but the arrangement has to be done "manually"?

Would be very grateful to a reply! Thank you!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Unfair Distributions in Combinatorics - Part II

Method I

5 apples can be distributed in various ways: {5, 0, 0, 0}, {4, 1, 0, 0}, {3, 2, 0, 0}, {3, 1, 1, 0}, {2, 2, 1, 0}, {2, 1, 1, 1}.

{5, 0, 0, 0} means that one child gets all 5 apples and all others get none. Similarly, {4, 1, 0, 0} means that one child gets 4 apples and another child gets 1 apple. No one else gets any apples and so on…

In each one of these cases, various arrangements are possible e.g. take the case of {5, 0, 0, 0}. The first child could get all 5 apples OR the second child could get all 5 apples OR the third child could get all 5 apples OR the fourth child could get all 5 apples. Basically, the number of ways in which these 4 objects – 5, 0, 0 and 0 can be distributed in 4 different spots (i.e. 4 children) is 4!/3! = 4 arrangements (we divide by 3! because three of the objects – 0, 0 and 0 – are identical). This is just our beloved basic counting principle in action.

Similarly, in the case of {4, 1, 0, 0}, we will get 4!/2! = 12 arrangements (since 2 objects are identical) i.e. 5 apples can be distributed among 4 children by giving 4 apples to one child and 1 apple to another child in 12 ways. The first child could get 4 apples and the second child could get 1 apple OR the third child could get 4 apples and the first child could get 1 apple etc.

In the same way, we will get 12 arrangements in each one of these cases: {3, 2, 0, 0}, {3, 1, 1, 0} and {2, 2, 1, 0}. In the case of {2, 1, 1, 1}, we will get 4!/3! = 4 arrangements.

In all, 5 identical apples can be distributed among 4 children in 4 + 12 + 12 + 12 + 12 + 4 = 56 ways

Here, we have just counted out the ways in which 5 things can be distributed in 4 groups. If we miss even one of these cases, all our effort would go waste. Therefore, let’s look at a more analytical method of solving this question.

Method II

The split can also be made in the following way: A l A A l A l A

Here, the second group has 2 apples and the rest of the three groups have 1 apple each. So the second child gets 2 apples and the rest of the 3 children get 1 apple each.

The split can also be made in the following way: l A A A l A l A

Here, the first group has no apples, the second group has 3 apples and the third and the fourth groups have one apple each. The first child gets no apples, the second child gets 3 apples and the other 2 children get 1 apple each.

What I am trying to show here is that arranging these 5 identical As and the 3 identical vertical lines in as many different ways as possible will give us all the ways in which we can distribute 5 identical apples among 4 different children.

Question 4: In how many ways can 5 apples (identical) be distributed among 4 identical baskets?

Solution: As we have seen previously, 5 fruits can be split into 4 groups in the following ways: {5, 0, 0, 0}, {4, 1, 0, 0}, {3, 2, 0, 0}, {3, 1, 1, 0}, {2, 2, 1, 0}, {2, 1, 1, 1}

Here, {5, 0, 0, 0} means that one basket has all 5 apples and the rest of the baskets are empty. Since the baskets are all identical, there is only 1 way of doing this.
{4, 1, 0, 0} means that one basket has 4 apples, another one has 1 apple and the rest of the baskets are empty. Since the fruits and the baskets are all identical, there is again only 1 way of doing this.

You have to select neither the fruits nor the baskets since they are all identical. You only have to decide how to distribute the apples in 4 groups. Therefore, each one of these cases will give us only one different way of distributing the fruits. Since there are 6 such cases, there are only 6 different ways of distributing the fruits.

I wouldn’t be surprised if you are a little confused at this point since the different variations change the thought process completely. That is the whole fun of combinatorics. You change one word and we have to start thinking from the scratch. You miss one word and you either don’t realize at all that your answer is wrong (if the options are cunning) or you realize after you have solved the entire question. Thankfully, GMAT has only one to two questions based on this topic.

Dear Bunuel, dear VeritasKarishma,

thanks for the comprehensive explanation. I have a quick question regarding the vertical line method. Above Bunuel showed to examples with 5 identical fruit distributed to 1) 4 children, 2) 4 baskets.

-> Why is not possible in Case 2 (baskets) to simply unarrange the arrangement for boys, i.e. use vertical line method \(\frac{8!}{(5!*3!)}\) -> unarrange by multiplying with \(\frac{1}{4!}\). This results obviously in a non-sensical number and not 6 as it should.

Thank you!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34 (Online)
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V35 (Online)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Linear Arrangement Constraints - Part II

In this post, I want to discuss the symmetry principle of linear arrangements with you. If you do not understand the symmetry principle, then it is possible that the following has happened with you:

You see a hard question and start working on it. You know that there are going to be three-four different cases. You find the number of arrangements in each case. Then, very carefully, you add them all up and get your answer. You check the answer key and behold, your answer is correct. Just for the fun of it, you turn your page to the solutions section and see that there are just two lines there which go something like this: “You can arrange 6 people in 6! ways. In half of these 6! ways, A will be ahead of B so answer is 6!/2.” and you end up feeling pretty unhappy even though you got the correct answer!

To ensure that this doesn’t happen again, let’s try and understand the symmetry principle.

Let’s work on a simple example first:

Question: There are 3 contestants, A, B and C. In how many different ways can they complete a race if the race doesn’t end in a dead heat?

Solution: Since the race doesn’t end in a dead heat, there is no tie. The following arrangements are possible:

A B C
A C B
B A C
B C A
C A B
C B A

A total of 3! = 6 arrangements. The first position is occupied by the contestant whose name is written first i.e. A B C implies A stands first, B stands second and C stands third in the race.

In how many of these arrangements is A ahead of B? We count and get 3 (A B C, A C B and C A B)

In how many of these arrangements is B ahead of A? We count and get 3 again (B A C, B C A, C B A)

The question is that out of 6 arrangements, why is it that in half A is ahead and in the other half, B is ahead? This is so because the arrangements are symmetrical. Each element has the same status. Since we are taking into account all arrangements, if half of them are partial toward A, other half have to be partial toward B. There is no difference between A and B. They are considered equal elements. Now if I ask you the number of arrangements in which B is ahead of C, you should jump up and say 3 immediately.

Let’s now look at the question I left you with in the last post.

Question 6: 6 people go to a movie and sit next to each other in 6 adjacent seats in the front row of the theatre. If A cannot sit to the right of F, how many different arrangements are possible?

Solution: ‘to the right of F’ means anywhere on the right of F, not necessarily on the adjacent seat. Here we see symmetry because there are only 2 ways in which A can sit. In every arrangement, A is either to the left of F (any seat on the left) or to the right of F (any seat on the right). There is nothing else possible. The number of cases in which A will sit to the left of F will be the same as the number of cases in which he will sit to the right of F. That is why the answer here will be 6!/2 = 360.

I hope you understand this principle now.

Let’s quickly look at a couple of variants now.

Question 7: 7 people (A, B, C, D, E, F and G) go to a movie and sit next to each other in 7 adjacent seats in the front row of the theatre. A will not sit to the left of F and B will not sit to the left of E. How many different arrangements are possible?

Solution: Number of ways of arranging 7 people in 7 seats is 7! (using Basic Counting Principle)

Of these 7! arrangements, we want those arrangements in which A is sitting to the right of F and B is sitting to the right of E. A will sit to the right of F in half of the 7! arrangements. Of these 7!/2 arrangements, half will have B to the right of E and other half will have B to the left of E. So the number of arrangements in which A is to the right of F and B is to the right of E is (7!/2)/2 = 7!/4

Question 8: 7 people (A, B, C, D, E, F and G) go to a movie and sit next to each other in 8 adjacent seats in the front row of the theatre. A will not sit to the left of F in how many different arrangements?

Solution: We have a vacant spot here. Recall the way we deal with vacant spots (discussed in the last post) — we use Mr V.

8 people (including our imaginary Mr V) can be arranged in 8 seats in 8! ways.

We want only those arrangements in which A is sitting to the right of F. In half of the 8! arrangements, A must be to the right of F (same as before) so required number of arrangements = 8!/2

There are many more variations possible but I will stop here. Try some on your own and get back if you have a doubt. I will discuss some other little concept of Combinatorics with you in the next post.

Hi, I just have one question:
Q8: 7 people (A, B, C, D, E, F and G) go to a movie and sit next to each other in 8 adjacent seats
Is sitting next to each other different from sitting ADJACENT to each other?
Can I assume that gaps are possible?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34 (Online)
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V35 (Online)
Send PM