GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 26 Aug 2019, 03:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Company Spokesperson: Charges that our corporation has discriminated a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Math Expert
V
Company Spokesperson: Charges that our corporation has discriminated a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2019, 11:56
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

52% (01:28) correct 48% (01:46) wrong based on 100 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Company Spokesperson: Charges that our corporation has discriminated against women in its hiring and promotion practices are demonstrably untrue. In fact, statistics show that greater than sixty percent of our corporation’s employees are women.

The answer to which of the following questions would be most relevant in evaluating the argument above?

A. What is the average tenure, or length of employment, among the company’s women employees?

B. What percentage of the company’s employees in higher-level management positions are women?

C. What percentage of employees in competing companies are women?

D. How has the percentage of women employees at the company changed over time?

E. Is the chief executive officer of the company a man or a woman?

S
CAT Tests
Re: Company Spokesperson: Charges that our corporation has discriminated a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2019, 13:18
Bunuel wrote:
Company Spokesperson: Charges that our corporation has discriminated against women in its hiring and promotion practices are demonstrably untrue. In fact, statistics show that greater than sixty percent of our corporation’s employees are women.

The answer to which of the following questions would be most relevant in evaluating the argument above?

A. What is the average tenure, or length of employment, among the company’s women employees?

B. What percentage of the company’s employees in higher-level management positions are women?

C. What percentage of employees in competing companies are women?

D. How has the percentage of women employees at the company changed over time?

E. Is the chief executive officer of the company a man or a woman?

IMO D. Everything else is relevant too. But the question is of hiring and promotion not anything else. I will provide my approach if the answer is right :)
Manager
Manager
S
Re: Company Spokesperson: Charges that our corporation has discriminated a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2019, 13:43
IMO B :

Its asking about promotion practice. It may be that they have 60% of women but what if they are not given promotion and women are only working since years in junior level. so it will be discrimination.
Answer to B will reflect if there has not been discrimination in promotion given to Women compared with Men.
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: INSEAD
GPA: 3.67
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2019, 11:56
I strongly feel that D is as relevant as B because the stem statements talks about “hiring and promotion practices”.

D talk about the % of women over time.
If there is an increase /decrease in the amount of women of time, this may shed a lot of light in how hiring practices of changes over time.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2019, 14:36
TheMBmonster wrote:
I strongly feel that D is as relevant as B because the stem statements talks about “hiring and promotion practices”.

If there is an increase /decrease in the amount of women of time, this may shed a lot of light in how hiring practices of changes over time.

Your reasoning is correct. D is a runner up answer. But just see what the last line of question stem says, Spokesperson itself is saying that over 60% employed are women, It means he is already giving clarification to the argument raised, what he is not giving is explanation for the promotion.
There are 2 points spokesperson need to tell. One is hiring which is already told by him, 2nd reasoning we need to find, Of promotion .

Hope i am able to clear your doubt.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Help With A Kudos
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2019, 09:31
TheMBmonster wrote:

I dont think percentage will help to evaluate, because we dont know the number of total and women employee hired on the last years. The percentage dosent has to change even if the number of women had changed with respect to increase in the total number of employees. Hence we cant count on D.

while B dosent consider the percentage change like D and it refers to the percentage of women to get the promotion to high level.

So it looks like B sounds better.
Please correct me if there are any flaws i have missed in B. :thumbup:

Thanks.
Manick
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Company Spokesperson: Charges that our corporation has discriminated a   [#permalink] 06 Aug 2019, 09:31

Company Spokesperson: Charges that our corporation has discriminated a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics