Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:17 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 409 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Confidence for Quant/Math foundations [#permalink]
Thanks for the quick replies guys and sorry for the delays on my end.

I'm really beginning to see the difference in studying for the GMAT Quant questions on their own vs the foundations, that said... When I get a question wrong as opposed to getting a question right the odds are higher due to lack of knowledge in my foundation because when I get questions right, the answer is clear cut and I can arrive at a solution fairly quickly.

I am not underestimating that studying Problem Solving or Data Sufficiency questions alone are very much needed but I think the key is to hold solid foundations.

Given how there is 3 major areas Arithmetic, Algebra, Geometry (+Word problems) to focus in on. Is there a checklist somewhere online where one can cross off their level of knowledge and assess themselves in a big picture way?

I've used the Kaplan workbook and still refer to it but I was wondering if you guys have any other suggestions to this.

There is no doubt in my mind that a big part of getting a higher quant score on my end is simply just doing more official GMAT questions, and I'm seeing a clearcut path in this but given how fast I arrive at right answers vs wrong, I feel that the key to success in quant in addition to speed is accuracy based on foundations and not cookie cutter strategies

Any advice would be really appreciated!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi jy16,

You mentioned taking the GMAT, but you didn't mention your scores. You also didn't answer any of my initial questions. To give you the most appropriate advice, I'm going to need specific information about your work, timeline and goals.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi jy16,

You mentioned taking the GMAT, but you didn't mention your scores. You also didn't answer any of my initial questions. To give you the most appropriate advice, I'm going to need specific information about your work, timeline and goals.

Rich

How did you score on the GMAT (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?
What is your goal score?
When are you planning to apply to Business School?

Rich,

I was hesitant in answering your original questions because I do not believe my first attempt is a great reflection whatsoever of my abilities. First time around I maybe punched out 150-200 questions in review, including only one practice test and did not properly analyze my mistakes. I scored an abismal 400 (Q16 and V25). My study revolved around learning concepts and studying as if I was going in to a content exam which I later found out was the wrong approach.

My goal score would ideally be top 10 but given my timeline and the school I have in mind, I am aiming for 600. I am applying to business school for the June 1st deadline and the GMAT score is due in on the 14th.

I have a month to myself as I am not working right now and I am looking to punch out the highest score I can.

Do you have any recommendations?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi jy16,

We have to use this initial GMAT score as a "baseline" score for a couple of reasons:

1) It gives us a basis for comparison, so you can track your progress going forward.
2) It can help us assess what is realistic in terms of improvement.

I respect the idea that this score is not a great reflection of your abilities, but it's how you performed using your natural skills. Beyond learning all the content and practicing tactics, you also have to hone those natural skills. All of that will take time. A 600+ score is a reasonable end goal, but you only have 1 month to study and raising your score 200+ points in that time will be difficult.

When is the next deadline after June? While I understand that you really want to apply for the June deadline, if you don't have a competitive GMAT score and a strong enough overall profile, then you're going to have to change your plans and apply later.

Rich

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Quantitative Questions Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts