Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:38 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 464 [150]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [38]
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [33]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2918 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Re: Congress is debating a bill requiring certain employers provide worker [#permalink]
219.Congress is debating a bill requiring certain employers provide workers with unpaid leave so as to care for sick or newborn children.
(A) provide workers with unpaid leave so as to
(B) to provide workers with unpaid leave so as to
(C) provide workers with unpaid leave in order that they
(D) to provide workers with unpaid leave so that they can
(E) provide workers with unpaid leave and

I am slightly confused in this question.
I thought we should have a bare form of a verb " to provide".
E.g. Correct (IMO)- I require them do this.
Incorrect (IMO)-I require them to do this.

Can someone clarify on this?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 100 [14]
Send PM
Re: Congress is debating a bill requiring certain employers provide worker [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
botirvoy wrote:
219.Congress is debating a bill requiring certain employers provide workers with unpaid leave so as to care for sick or newborn children.

require X to do Y - idiom

with that B,D left.

but B is meaning that congress is caring about children

so D - correct
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 368 [19]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Oxford
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
My choice would be D.

Quote:
Congress is debating a bill requiring certain employers provide workers with unpaid leave so as to care for sick or newborn children.

‘a bill requiring employers’ should be followed by infinitive (with ‘to’). It means A, C, E are out.

Now, look at the remaining:

B: Congress is debating a bill requiring certain employers to provide workers with unpaid leave so as to care for sick or newborn children.

Who should care for children? Congress? Doesn’t look right.

D: Congress is debating a bill requiring certain employers to provide workers with unpaid leave so that they can care for sick or newborn children

Well, we still could say that ‘they’ may refer to employers as well as workers, but IMO, overall, the ambiguity is less here than in the case of B.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Bookmarks
Good tricky question checks idioms and logical approach

Congress is debating a bill requiring certain employers provide workers with unpaid leave so as to care for sick or newborn children.

If you look the highlighted part in the sentence you will easily find out that after 'employers' 'to' is necessary.

'Require .... that' is correct idiom expression

(A) provide workers with unpaid leave so as to :Incorrect ( not starting with 'to')
(B) to provide workers with unpaid leave so as to : Incorrect (Trap) ( so as to is not preferred much on GMAT , if you check 'AS' alone then as is used to compare clauses with similar actions which is also not correct here logically )
(C) provide workers with unpaid leave in order that they : Incorrect ( not starting with 'to')
(D) to provide workers with unpaid leave so that they can : Correct ( also fulfills 'Require ...that' correct idiomatic expression usage and starts with 'to' ) here 'they' refers to workers because if you choose 'employers' logically it will be wrong because employers will not take care of sick and newborn children . Workers will take care.
(E) provide workers with unpaid leave and : Incorrect ( not starting with 'to') wrong usage of 'and'

Kindly clarify if i have missed anything

Regrads
SG :wink:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 321 [0]
Given Kudos: 198
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
robinantony wrote:
Actually now I know why,

so that makes it clear who "they" is referring to.

eg:

Use "so as" if there is only one noun which can be modified by "so as".
Ex. Jim worked hard so as to get promotion. [promotion is only for Jim]
Use "so that" if there are more then one noun, then go for "so that"
InCorrect: Jim divorced Jeniffer so as to marry. [Notclear: who wants to marry]
Correct: Jim divorced Jeniffer so that he could marry. [Clear: Jim wants to marry]

Can someone confirm on this usage. So as for one noun & so that for more than one ??

So as to & So that : implies "in order to". But not sure on the difference in their usage.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [13]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
sperinko wrote:
Congress is debating a bill requiring certain employers provide workers with unpaid leave so as to care for sick or newbom children.

Here "so as to" just means "in order to".

Congress is debating a bill requiring certain employers provide workers with unpaid leave so as to care for sick or newbom children.

PROBLEM: Two issues. We need the idiom "requiring X to Y". This misses the "to". Also, "so as to care" makes it sound as if Congress is doing the caring.

PROBLEM: This addresses the first issue mentioned above, but not the second.

PROBLEM: This lacks the "to". Also, the idiom is "in order to", not "in order that".

ANSWER: This has the "to", and correctly places the pronoun "they", so that we know it's the workers who will be caring for their children.

PROBLEM: Lacks the "to", and also sounds like Congress is doing the caring.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Doesn't the answer require the use of subjunctive (bare infinite form of verb)
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [4]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
rsethi2690 wrote:
Doesn't the answer require the use of subjunctive (bare infinite form of verb)

In general, the structure of subjunctive is:

that + bare infinitive

In this sentence, since requiring is not followed by that, this is a big clue that the sentence is not using subjunctive.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Subjunctive, its application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools: ISB'22 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37
Send PM
seofah wrote:

"I require them do this." is correct when the mood is subjunctive but in the given problem the mood is not subjunctive.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [2]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM