GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Sep 2018, 00:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Constructive dialogue is one of the fundamentals

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
Constructive dialogue is one of the fundamentals  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2013, 23:22
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

35% (01:24) correct 65% (01:26) wrong based on 1541 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Constructive dialogue is one of the fundamentals that are too uncommon in the scientific world and although the representation of data across fields is very similar, it is, however, rare that professionals from different disciplines share thoughts with one another.

A.) are too uncommon in the scientific world and although the representation of data across fields is very similar, it is, however, rare that professionals from different disciplines share thoughts with one another.
B.) are to uncommon in the scientific world and although the data representation across fields is very similar, it is rare, however, that professionals from different disciplines share thoughts with one another.
C.) is too uncommon in the scientific world and although the representation of data across fields is very similar, it is rare that professionals from different disciplines share their thoughts with one another
D.) are too uncommon in the scientific world and although the representation of data across fields is very similar, it is rare that professionals share thoughts with those from different disciplines.
E.) are too uncommon in the scientific world and although the representation of data fields is very similar, it is rare that professionals from different disciplines share thoughts with one another.
Most Helpful Community Reply
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Foster '17
GMAT Date: 01-14-2015
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Constructive dialogue is one of the fundamentals  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2013, 23:35
What's tricky about this is that the verb to be is describing a modifier.

(D) Constructive dialogue is one of the fundamentals that are too uncommon in the scientific world and although the representation of data across fields is very similar, it is rare that professionals share thoughts with those from different disciplines.

This is possible because of the "one of" in the sentence.

That cat is one of the animals that are living in the abandoned house.
That dog is one of the animals that live in my cave.

Let's look at why the other answers are wrong.

akashb106 wrote:
Constructive dialogue is one of the fundamentals that are too uncommon in the scientific world and although the representation of data across fields is very similar, it is, however, rare that professionals from different disciplines share thoughts with one another.

A.) are too uncommon in the scientific world and although the representation of data across fields is very similar, it is, however, rare that professionals from different disciplines share thoughts with one another. we've already got an although – the however is unnecessary.
B.) are to uncommon in the scientific world and although the data representation across fields is very similar, it is rare, however, that professionals from different disciplines share thoughts with one another. I stopped reading at the wrong "to".
C.) is too uncommon in the scientific world and although the representation of data across fields is very similar, it is rare that professionals from different disciplines share their thoughts with one another This is identical to the correct answer, D, apart from the incorrect use of "is" instead of "are".
D.) are too uncommon in the scientific world and although the representation of data across fields is very similar, it is rare that professionals share thoughts with those from different disciplines.
E.) are too uncommon in the scientific world and although the representation of data fields is very similar, it is rare that professionals from different disciplines share thoughts with one another.changes meaning; "data across fields" ≠ "data fields"

Hope that helps!

Please +1 KUDOS this post if you found it helpful! Thanks!

General Discussion
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2013, 23:38
akashb106 wrote:

A.) are too uncommon in the scientific world and although the representation of data across fields is very similar, it is, however, rare that professionals from different disciplines share thoughts with one another.
B.) are to uncommon in the scientific world and although the data representation across fields is very similar, it is rare, however, that professionals from different disciplines share thoughts with one another.
C.) is too uncommon in the scientific world and although the representation of data across fields is very similar, it is rare that professionals from different disciplines share their thoughts with one another
E.) are too uncommon in the scientific world and although the representation of data fields is very similar, it is rare that professionals from different disciplines share thoughts with one another.

A- usage of 2 contrasting words-although and however- is redundant
B- usage if infinitive is incorrect here
C- verb required is plural and not singular
D-correct
E-alters the meaning by changing the sentence to "representation of data fields" from "representation of data across fields".

+D

P.S: Please do mention the source of the question.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
#Top150 SC: Constructive dialogue is one of the fundamentals that are  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2015, 23:54

A. are too uncommon in the scientific world and although the representation of data across fields is very similar, it is, however, rare that professionals from different disciplines share thoughts with one another

B. are too uncommon in the scientific world and although the data representation across fields is very similar, it is rare, however, that professionals from different disciplines share thoughts with one another

C. is too uncommon in the scientific world and although the representation of data across fields is very similar, it is rare that professionals from different disciplines share their thoughts with one another

D. are too uncommon in the scientific world and although the representation of data across fields is very similar, it is rare that professionals share thoughts with those from different disciplines

E. are too uncommon in the scientific world and although the representation of data fields is very similar, it is rare that professionals from different disciplines share thoughts with one another

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: #Top150 SC: Constructive dialogue is one of the fundamentals that are  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2015, 00:19
After doing away with the redundancy of ‘although and however’ in A and B, we can eliminate C on SV error of ‘fundamental that is’. Going on to D and E, D looks ok enough since it is not clear what the expression data fields refers to in E.

In addition, “share thoughts with one another” and its variant “share thoughts with those from different disciplines” don’t seem to impact the outcome of correct choice.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 12-03-2014
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: #Top150 SC: Constructive dialogue is one of the fundamentals that are  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2015, 00:54
IMHO : D
Key points :
1) Redundancy : Although and However are used in the same sentence.Eliminate A and B
2) Subject Verb Agreement : one of the fundamentals that : Refers to Fundamentals and hence we need 'are' after That. Eliminate C
3) Meaning : representation of data fields vs representation of data across fields. E doesn't make much sense
Cheers
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE: General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2015, 06:57
D is the correct one!

On closer reading, I find that E misses the word 'across' and hence changes the meaning of the original sentence.

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.

I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.-Mohammad Ali

Current Student
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2015, 07:24
I would go with D and here are my reasons:

"are" is required for fundamentals so C is instantly out.

A and B bring double negative using "although" and "however".. so out.

E has change in meaning because of "data fields"

Regards,
Dom.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2015, 08:55
I go with E.

In D, "professionals share thoughts with those from different disciplines". Those = Professionals: ambigious. They share with them????

the representation of data fields: I think it is still ok
Retired Moderator
S
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2015, 10:12

A. are too uncommon in the scientific world and although the representation of data across fields is very similar, it is, however, rare that professionals from different disciplines share thoughts with one another

B. are too uncommon in the scientific world and although the data representation across fields is very similar, it is rare, however, that professionals from different disciplines share thoughts with one another

C. is too uncommon in the scientific world and although the representation of data across fields is very similar, it is rare that professionals from different disciplines share their thoughts with one another

D. are too uncommon in the scientific world and although the representation of data across fields is very similar, it is rare that professionals share thoughts with those from different disciplines

E. are too uncommon in the scientific world and although the representation of data fields is very similar, it is rare that professionals from different disciplines share thoughts with one another[/quote]

I eliminated D only because of those pronoun.
those in option D can either refer to thoughts or scientists.
It seems to have pronoun ambiguity.

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.

My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2016, 07:52
I have a question. Can we eliminate A,B,C and E on the basis of "one another"? Is this usage correct? Maybe "with each other" is better? Thanks!

"Are you gangsters?" - "No we are Russians!"

Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
#Top150 SC: Constructive dialogue is one of the fundamentals that are  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2016, 04:45
Konstantin1983 wrote:
I have a question. Can we eliminate A,B,C and E on the basis of "one another"? Is this usage correct? Maybe "with each other" is better? Thanks!

Manhattan SC guide indicates that "one another" and "each other" are interchangeable. The following is an example from the book:

RIGHT: These groups often INTERACT WITH ONE ANOTHER (or EACH OTHER).
Current Student
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2016, 07:16
souvik101990 wrote:

E. are too uncommon in the scientific world and although the representation of data fields is very similar, it is rare that professionals from different disciplines share thoughts with one another

Although and however can not be used together. A and B are out
'That' proceeded by 'fundamentals' requires plural verb 'are'. C is out

'data across fields' is preferred over 'data fields'. E is out

D is the answer

I welcome critical analysis of my post!! That will help me reach 700+

Director
Director
S
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.33
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2017, 08:09
The answer must be option D. My analysis of the question :

Meaning : Constructive dialogue is one of the fundamentals uncommon in the scientific world and although representation of data across fields is similar, it is rare that professionals from different fields share thoughts with one another.

Point to note : you will need to use are after that in the beginning of the underlined portion. That refers back to fundamentals , hence use plural form "are".

Error in original sentence : However and although are used together. This leads to redundancy.

POE :
a) Discussed above
b) are to ---> good enough a reason to eliminate
c) use of is --> incorrect
e) representation of data fields not equals representation of data across fields

This leaves us with option d.

I have one question however. If in option b we had too after are instead of to , what would the answer be between b and d. How would one eliminate b ? Experts please enlighten !

" The few , the fearless "

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2017, 08:54
Top Contributor
'To common' instead of 'too common' must be essentially a typo either by the originator or by the poster. Let's just ignore it. Still, B is incorrect because of the redundancy of 'although' and 'however'.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
GRE 1: Q167 V147

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2017, 20:33
Hi experts,
Just to further the discussion.I have no objection with the correct official choice.
Is there any difference between "with one another" and "with those from different discipline" ?

Thanks.
Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2017, 08:04
sleepynut wrote:
Hi experts,
Just to further the discussion.I have no objection with the correct official choice.
Is there any difference between "with one another" and "with those from different discipline" ?

Thanks.

"With one another":
Usage of "with one another" would imply that the sharing mentioned is within the same group, i.e. the professionals. The sentence would then imply that it is rare that one professional would share thoughts with another professional (irrespective of whether they are from the same discipline or different).

"With those from different disciplines":
The sentence as given implies that the professionals rarely share thoughts with those of other disciplines ( but they may share thoughts with those of the same discipline).
Verbal Forum Moderator
B
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2017, 02:16
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Manager
Manager
B
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2017, 23:01
Can someone help clear up my SV agreement question please:

Should I go by the 'touch rule' where THAT touches a plural fundamentals, therefore it is "fundamentals that ARE"?

-or-

why isn't it 'constructive dialogue is ONE OF (the fundamentals that) is'? I would think here "one of" is a singular construction and the () is middlemen?

Many thanks for the kind help! - Michael
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Constructive dialogue is one of the fundamentals &nbs [#permalink] 11 Sep 2017, 23:01

Constructive dialogue is one of the fundamentals

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap