Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 07:46 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 727 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 100 [0]
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [0]
Send PM
Re: CR 3 [#permalink]
I cannot get this question. Please explain why D is right?
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Let us reverse the order of the statements

Sentence 1: If a person's conduct does not affect prejudicially the interests of others, it should not come under the jurisdiction of society in the first place.

Sentence 2: As soon as any part of a person's conduct affects prejudicially the interests of others, society has jurisdiction over it, and the question of whether the general welfare will or will not be promoted by interfering with it becomes open to discussion.

Author's intention in the first sentence: If a person's interests are not prejudiced, it should not fall under the jurisdiction of society since there is no benefit for it to be so

Author's intention in the second sentence: If a person's interests are prejudiced, then it falls under the jurisdiction of society but the claim that the latter can improve general welfare is not guaranteed and is opened to discussion

So looking at above two general intentions, the author either:
1) repudiates the utility of society's jurisdiction
or
2) casts doubt on the utility of society's jurisdiction

Hence, we conclude that
D) society's intereference with the actions of individuals does not enhance general welfare

I believe D is best for the above reason
VP
VP
Send PM
Paul wrote:
Let us reverse the order of the statements

Sentence 1: If a person's conduct does not affect prejudicially the interests of others, it should not come under the jurisdiction of society in the first place.

Sentence 2: As soon as any part of a person's conduct affects prejudicially the interests of others, society has jurisdiction over it, and the question of whether the general welfare will or will not be promoted by interfering with it becomes open to discussion.

Author's intention in the first sentence: If a person's interests are not prejudiced, it should not fall under the jurisdiction of society since there is no benefit for it to be so

Author's intention in the second sentence: If a person's interests are prejudiced, then it falls under the jurisdiction of society but the claim that the latter can improve general welfare is not guaranteed and is opened to discussion

So looking at above two general intentions, the author either:
1) repudiates the utility of society's jurisdiction
or
2) casts doubt on the utility of society's jurisdiction

Hence, we conclude that
D) society's intereference with the actions of individuals does not enhance general welfare

I believe D is best for the above reason

Here is my explainations after knowing the answer.

Society's intereference with the actions of individuals does not enhance general welfare

This is a very strong statement and does not enhance welfare can connote that whenever society interfere the general welfare is not enhanced. Imagine a situation when it does the reverse. So by sheer GMATic wisdom this choice is out.

Paul you weighted the second part of the first sentence too much, I guess. I think we should look at the passage as "Whenever the actions of individual affects others society is in charge. When they are incharge we do not know if that will result in something good or bad, But if the action does not affect others the society better stay out ot it. So the author argues that blah blah.

I also checked D but C it is. OA

DISCLAIMER: I just ventured. If you lose sleep because of my explainations refer your greviences to ETS.

Originally posted by Bhai on 28 May 2004, 21:37.
Last edited by Bhai on 29 May 2004, 17:59, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [0]
Send PM
Hell yeah it has to be C. Paul almost made me believe that D is right and so is everyone else. It looked like all of you had a group discussion.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
As I said, this was a tough one. I thought C was really too obvious and LSAT type answers are just never obvious :?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
I think D is wrong for the reason that's obvious in the passage: and the question whether general welfare will or will not be promoted... open for discussion....something like that.

So any answer choice that lead to some conclusion regarding General welfare can not be correct.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 100 [0]
Send PM
How to find the correct chioce for this kind of problems??

I thought C is too specific..

D is correct one ..
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Some hints:

1. Make sure you understand what the passage is telling you in simple terms - your own terms. (they like to call it paraphrase, but I believe the key is understanding)

2. Beware out of scope choices (provided you've done 1)

3. You can practive LSAT Qs, they are similar to this Q but a little different from GMAT CRs. (LSAT Qs can be quite cumbersome and require more awareness and thinking to solve, which is a good way to practice)

4. Practice questions alike often. You can find these by digging past GMATCLUB verbal dicussions. (2003-now)
VP
VP
Send PM
By the way this is no LSAT question. This is just a normal question from an old GMAT prep company.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
That's fine but this does resemble LSAT official prep qs. Maybe the company models their qs based on gmat and lsat format (provided that the later is generally more difficult than the former).

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Critical Reasoning (CR) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts