Last visit was: 23 Jul 2024, 13:06 It is currently 23 Jul 2024, 13:06
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Official Business School Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
CUHK Business School MSc in Finance reunites industry leaders at alumn [#permalink]
FROM CUHK: CUHK Business School MSc in Finance reunites industry leaders at alumni homecoming event
The event kicked off with an insightful keynote address by Dr Fred Hu, Founder and Chairman of Primavera Capital Group and Adjunct Professor of Department of Finance at CUHK Business School. Dr Hu discussed the future of China’s Economy, emphasising the importance of collaboration in navigating the complex challenges and opportunities presented by the shifting global landscape.

At the fireside chats during the networking luncheon, five senior executives from reputable financial institutions, who are also alumni of the programme, shared their career experiences and thought-provoking insights in asset and wealth management. The genuine sharing provided an inspiring conclusion to the event.

The post CUHK Business School MSc in Finance reunites industry leaders at alumni homecoming event appeared first on CUHK Business School.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
CUHK EMBA Annual Conference fuels discussions on the next engine of gr [#permalink]
FROM CUHK: CUHK EMBA Annual Conference fuels discussions on the next engine of growth for Hong Kong

In his opening remarks, Professor Alan Chan, Provost of CUHK, recognised the importance of the event in gathering the collective wisdom of industry leaders to shape the future of Hong Kong.  “We need new thinking and new strategies that promote innovation and integrate with national strategies to seize the many opportunities arising from the development of the Greater Bay Area,” he said.

The keynote address was delivered by Mr Algernon Yau, Secretary for Commerce and Economic Development of the HKSAR. He underscored Hong Kong’s pivotal position as a super-connector and super-value-creator in the region, emphasising the abundant opportunities the city offers for career growth, business expansion, and a fulfilling lifestyle.

The conference culminated in a captivating panel discussion on shaping Hong Kong’s digital economy by harnessing emerging technologies. The panel featured Dr Norman Chan, Council Vice-Chairman of CUHK and former Chief Executive of the Hong Kong Monetary Authority; Mr Nixon Chau (EMBA 2015), former Managing Director and General Manager of SenseTime Hong Kong; and Ms Queenie So, Founder and CEO of SyZyGy, a Cyberport-incubated creative tech company. The panellists shared their insights on fostering innovation and propelling the digital transformation of Hong Kong through cross-sector collaborative ecosystems and effective governance and policies.

The event concluded on a high note with a networking luncheon, providing participants with the opportunity to forge connections and exchange ideas to contribute to the advancement of Hong Kong’s future.

The post CUHK EMBA Annual Conference fuels discussions on the next engine of growth for Hong Kong appeared first on CUHK Business School.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
Breaking barriers and bridging the gaps [#permalink]
FROM CUHK: Breaking barriers and bridging the gaps

Maggie (Kit) Yau (IBBA 2004)

Head of Marketing, Alibaba Group (Australia and New Zealand)

Melbourne, Australia

William Lau (MBA  2005)

Service Business Manager, Honeywell Japan

Ibaraki, Japan

Kelly Wang (FMBA 2004)

Teacher, Kumon North America Inc.

Seattle, the US

Q1. Could you briefly describe your current job scope or responsibilities?
  • Maggie: My major duty is to enhance the brand’s presence and implement strategic plans. I oversee marketing and government affairs strategy and build relationships with government agencies across Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, and the Pacific Islands. I also collaborate with business chambers to facilitate local businesses on a global stage.
  • William: I oversee the entire service business for the distributed control systems in major oil refineries and power plants, as well as quality control systems in pulp and paper mills and battery thin film technology. I am also responsible for the profitability and performance of the service business in Japan.
  • Kelly: My primary role involves overseeing the education centre’s operations, as well as supervising and training our tutors to ensure the delivery of high-quality teaching. As a dedicated educator, I find great satisfaction in interacting with my students and guiding them to develop self-learning skills and achieve personal growth.
Q2. Please describe your residing location in three words.
  • Maggie: Vibrant, multicultural, scenic. Melbourne is famous for its lively culture, diverse arts scene, and bustling street life. The city truly embraces and celebrates its cultural diversity. Located among beautiful landscapes, Melbourne offers a visually stunning environment. It’s a place where residents can enjoy a serene and visually appealing backdrop.
  • William: Suburban, residential yet convenient. Ibaraki is a suburban area in Osaka Prefecture known for its residential neighbourhoods offering a quieter and more peaceful atmosphere compared to the bustling city centre. Its convenient transportation network allows for easy commuting to work or exploring other parts of the region.
  • Kelly: Emerald, cosmopolitan, and hi-tech. Seattle is blessed with lush green surroundings. Its natural beauty offers a captivating sight. Apart from being a cosmopolitan hub in the Pacific Northwest, the city also houses some of the world’s most influential tech companies. This solidifies its reputation as a leading force in technology.
Q3. Which industry do you see strong business potential in your residing location?
  • Maggie: Australia is known for its environmentally friendly and organic image. Industries like health and wellness, beauty and skincare, and mother and infant products are of strong potential. With its significant international economic connections, there are abundant opportunities to incorporate diverse cultural perspectives in different sectors.
  • William: The healthcare and social service industry holds significant business potential in Osaka Prefecture, and in Japan as a whole, due to the high number of elderly individuals living alone. Any business that caters to the needs of this demographic has a promising market in this area.
  • Kelly: The education industry has strong potential here. Seattle is home to a highly educated population and creates a demand for continuous learning and upskilling. The prestigious universities attract global talents, and the influx of students creates a demand for educational services, leading to opportunities for educational services and training providers.
Q4. What is the one thing you miss the most during your study at CUHK Business School?
  • Maggie: I miss the close bond with my schoolmates. From rushing for the school bus, exploring the canteen and spending time in the library, those memories hold a special place in my heart. Even now, some of the most important relationships are with those who were part of my IBBA journey.
  • William: The thing I miss the most during my study at CUHK Business School is the quality of lectures and discussions among fellow students. The campus provided a conducive environment for learning, and the interactions with professors and students greatly enhanced the educational experience.
  • Kelly: I certainly long for the cherished moments I shared with my classmates and teachers. The breathtaking scenery is also something memorable. Although I did not have the opportunity to visit the library, I look forward to exploring it when I travel to Hong Kong in the future.
Thinking of advancing yourself in the next normal? Explore what’s in your future with CUHK Business School’s programmes.

Learn more

The interviews first appeared in CUHK Business School Alumni Website, abridged with permission from the School’s Alumni Affairs and Development Office.

The post Breaking barriers and bridging the gaps appeared first on CUHK Business School.
Send PM
CUHK Business July 2024 [#permalink]
FROM CUHK: CUHK Business – July 2024

Our Research

Consumer Behaviour

AI vs. humans: Who wins in handling service rejections?

By Professor Shen Hao

Despite the general preference for human agents, a new study finds that chatbots can help reduce negative reviews when companies need to reject consumers’ requests.

Innovation & Technology

A deep look into burgeoning blockchain audit

By Professor Janja Brendel

New research explores the emerging trend of smart contract audits and shows that in the realm of assurance, decentralised finance is proving its worth.

Leadership

How lack of clarity fuels team innovation

By Dr John Lai

How can companies innovate? Recent research challenges conventional views that clear goals make innovation more likely.

Economics & Finance

[b]When following the crowd weakens crowdfunding[/b]

By Professor Xiao Yizhou

A new study finds herd-like behaviour could undermine a crowdfunding project, but establishing an all-or-nothing threshold can counteract this effect.

Our People

Thought Sparks
Harmonising profitability and sustainability to thrive in the new green era

Against the backdrop of looming economic and geopolitical headwinds, what lies ahead for sustainability? Professor Sean Zhou, chairperson of the CUHK Business School’s Department of Decisions, Operations and Technology, joined alumni Harold Yip (BBA in Marketing 1987, EMBA 2001) and Chester Cheng (IBBA 2019) to discuss the difficult questions on how sustainability and profits can coexist.

Student Story

Sisterhood of passing on the torch

Two Thai sisters embarked on their growth journeys at CUHK Business School. They embraced the bustling city’s adventures and opportunities, strengthening their sibling bond and pursuing excellence in the foreign land.

Alumni Story

Brings dreams to fruition with advanced robotics platform at RoboSense

The relentless tide of artificial intelligence is surging forth. Mark Qiu (FMBA 2022), CEO of RoboSense, leads his team in developing essential smart light detection and ranging technology for smart cars.

Alumni Whereabouts
Breaking barriers and bridging the gaps

From Australia to Japan and the US, CUHK Business School alumni have demonstrated the power of knowledge in their professional journeys and driving innovation.

Our Happenings

Read Online

Download PDF

Want even more insights? Subscribe to the monthly digest of China Business Knowledge and our biannual CUHK Business School magazine now!

About CUHK Business
CUHK Business School’s magazine CUHK Business provides a platform to inform readers of selected business topics and school updates through articles written by staff and guest writers. Situated at the world’s doorway to China, with a well developed foundation in business education and research, CUHK Business School has a unique role in nurturing business leaders of tomorrow. We hope you will find the articles interesting and stimulating.

The post CUHK Business – July 2024 appeared first on CUHK Business School.
Send PM
CUHK Business School hosts ANREV Research Conference 2024 to bridge re [#permalink]
FROM CUHK: CUHK Business School hosts ANREV Research Conference 2024 to bridge real estate academia and industry experts
Co-organised by the Asian Association for Investors in Non-Listed Real Estate Vehicles (ANREV), the Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) Business School’s School of Hotel and Tourism Management (SHTM), and Centre for Hospitality and Real Estate Research, the conference sought to facilitate meaningful discussions and professional networking among esteemed academia and industry experts in the real estate sector.

The keynote address provided participants with a glimpse of the key findings of the Asia Pacific Real Estate Chief Sustainability Officer Survey, highlighting that balancing business aspirations and sustainability remained a key concern. This was followed by a series of thought-provoking paper and panel sessions which covered a wide range of topics, including ESG, proptech (property technology), the dynamics between macroeconomic forces and property pricing, as well as liquidity in the real estate capital market.

Before the event was closed, participants unwound over a cocktail reception, networking with their peers, and exploring potential collaboration opportunities for the future.

Special acknowledgements were extended to the generous sponsors, including Chung Chi College and New Asia College, as well as Riskory Consultancy Limited, the partner on carbon neutrality.

The post CUHK Business School hosts ANREV Research Conference 2024 to bridge real estate academia and industry experts appeared first on CUHK Business School.
Send PM
CUHK MiM students tackle tourism challenges in Japans Sanin region [#permalink]
FROM CUHK: CUHK MiM students tackle tourism challenges in Japan’s San’in region
The Capstone Project, an integral part of the MiM curriculum, is designed to allow students to apply their classroom knowledge to address real-world business challenges. This year, students were tasked with addressing key issues facing the San’in region’s tourism industry, including inaccessibility and the lack of effective promotion strategies.

Throughout their 11-day journey, the students worked in groups to put together proposals aimed at revitalising local tourism in San’in and attract international visitors, particularly those from Hong Kong and mainland China. They developed a myriad of creative ideas and practical strategies to build a strong brand for San’in, improve the region’s accessibility and product distribution, promote nature activities and enhance cultural and historical tourism experiences.

The trip culminated in two days of engaging presentations delivered by the students to senior executives of the San’in Tourism Organisation. The study trip provided the students with invaluable experience in exploring business challenges in a different cultural context, designing solutions for real business cases and putting their classroom knowledge and teamwork skills into practice.

Beyond the project work, students broadened their understanding of the Japanese business landscape through visits to Mazda, a globally renowned automotive manufacturer, and Kotobuki, a prestigious confectionery brand deeply rooted in local tradition. These experiences provided students with valuable perspectives on Japan’s unique challenges and opportunities present in the region’s diverse industrial sector.

The post CUHK MiM students tackle tourism challenges in Japan’s San’in region appeared first on CUHK Business School.
GMAT Club Bot
CUHK MiM students tackle tourism challenges in Japans Sanin region [#permalink]
   1  ...  21   22   23