Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:08 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 349 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Re: Culture comparison of PE and Consulting [#permalink]
Interesting.

PS I really hope this guy is for real and isn't making stuff up - given what we hear about PE lifestyles, it seems strange that he has this much time to spend on posts and stuff :)
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Send PM
isa wrote:
Interesting.

PS I really hope this guy is for real and isn't making stuff up - given what we hear about PE lifestyles, it seems strange that he has this much time to spend on posts and stuff :)

He is far too well-informed to be making this stuff up. Anyone in PE will confirm that. Things are fairly slow at any PE firm or investment bank right now. These are just one guys thoughts and they may be biased, but I certainly don't question his background and credibility.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
That's a really good post. The more I read about consulting jobs the less interested in them I am.

I do disagree with one of his comments though:

agold wrote:
You can't raise capital without a banker

I've been a part of a number of financings in which we didn't use bankers (private placements, of course). In fact, it has always been easier and more successful when we didn't use them.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Most of the stuff about consulting is pretty true. Its the same at most top consulting firms (non Mckinsey, tech consulting etc. etc.) ..

No matter where the crowds are running consulting is a no-no for me :)
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Agreed rca215. His point stands in a majority of cases related to PE firms and F500 companies, but there are obviously plenty of people who raise capital without bankers.

The main point of his message still sticks. Consultants are an extremely discretionary expense. It truly boggles my mind that so many MBAs this year are running to consulting like it's some sort of gold mine. Do they really think those firms are doing well? It just seems like the madness of crowds to me, once again.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
I work in a tier-2 consulting firm and can vouch for the veracity of his opinion on work-life balance in consulting and the stress of being a partner.

I cant imagine how much painful to be a partner at this time ( of course there are some old timers and people in good-books who will always have jobs even if they dont sell work for years)! Our company had shown doors to several partners during last review cycle. It is tough to be a partner, especially the amount of time and effort you spend schmoozing for only a 12 week engagement!! Now think about maintaining at least 60% chargeability in a year!!!no fun.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
Hmmm... we need a consultants view also... This is depressing me... George is getting angry...

Would it be better comparing IB with consulting since from reading AC's PE/VC post it looks near impossible to go into PE right now (with the exception that you're already in PE, or BBB/Big3 AND H/S/W).

Can anyone give an opposing view. I'm thinking consulting in hopes of going back into industry. I've always seens consulting as a freeway, it's not my destination, but a fast way to get to whereever I'm going. Where as PE, IB, VC, you're trying to make partner and then make money, there isn't an out until you retire. Or am I wrong?

I just want to be CEO of Google, is it that hard?? I'll settle for apple.
Own Kudos [?]: [1]
Given Kudos:
Kudos
bsd_lover wrote:
Most of the stuff about consulting is pretty true. Its the same at most top consulting firms (non Mckinsey, tech consulting etc. etc.) ..

No matter where the crowds are running consulting is a no-no for me :)

I have to agree with him also. Although I don't work as many hours as MC, the general culture is the same at my firm - it's not a rewarding environment in the industry I am in, lots of work, stress, and little recognition if you're not at the partner level or have government/military contacts. Clients continually want you to justify why you exist, and even if they do need you there, the default is to throw you under the bus even if their organizational issues and structure do not allow for success. It's a lose-lose situation for many major projects I have seen, I very rarely ever hear of huge successes -> which I do believe is due partly to my specific industry in government IT, and also because of the consulting culture.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Thanks for your insights, jlola21 and filmcity. +1
SVP
SVP
Send PM
GoBruins wrote:
Hmmm... we need a consultants view also... This is depressing me... George is getting angry...

Would it be better comparing IB with consulting since from reading AC's PE/VC post it looks near impossible to go into PE right now (with the exception that you're already in PE, or BBB/Big3 AND H/S/W).

Can anyone give an opposing view. I'm thinking consulting in hopes of going back into industry. I've always seens consulting as a freeway, it's not my destination, but a fast way to get to whereever I'm going. Where as PE, IB, VC, you're trying to make partner and then make money, there isn't an out until you retire. Or am I wrong?

I just want to be CEO of Google, is it that hard?? I'll settle for apple.

GoBruins,

You're probably right. IB and MC is probably a more valid comparison as these are both fields that career switchers can target pretty easily out of the top schools. However, this guy chose to post his opinions on PE and MC -- I was just relaying them. If anyone else wants to make a comparison of IB and MC, that'd be great.

This post is not meant to anger anyone or kill anyone's dreams. However, it's very important to always look at potential career paths with a clear lense, not a rose-colored one. There are obviously upsides to doing MC (namely exit opportunities and variety of experiences/work), but there will also be many downsides. The same will hold true for most career paths. I thought this post was unique because it explored some of the downsides of MC -- these are not typically posted or talked about as often as say, the downsides of IB (everyone slams IB pretty consistently for the hours, etc.)

Be sure to consider all viewpoints and features of the career path you choose. If you decide it's still for you - go for it full spead ahead.
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Good point about not trying to crush anyone's goals -
When reading my post, remember I am also a career switcher, and many people have had much better experiences than me. Consulting has also done great things for me - like management experience, becoming a 'jack of all trades' for IT, great client exposure, and the government environment can sometimes be a very stimulating environment because of our closeness for policy success. Each firm is different, and MC is also very different than government IT.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 143 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, VC
Schools:Wharton, LBS, UChicago, Kellogg MMM (Donald Jacobs Scholarship), Stanford, HBS
 Q47  V45
Send PM
Wonderful reporting agold, +1.

I can vouch for everything the guy said, as I know lots of people at McK and BCG. Bain is very, very different. Some considerations obviously apply to the whole industry of MC (consultants are not needed -true; partners are constantly selling -true; partners are not that high up in the overall scheme of business -true), but the hierarchical/constant-rat-race thing is true of Mck and BCG only.

Remember that BCG and McK were founded much earlier thank Bain and still enjoy the goodwill of being more established. Also, it's no wonder that Bain's PE practice dwarfs McK and BCG's ones.

Terp26 is right, go tell the guy to come here, he's wasted on the BW forums.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92902 posts
GMAT Tutor
1906 posts