Last visit was: 01 May 2024, 20:59 It is currently 01 May 2024, 20:59

4 years
United States
Male
Score: Waiver
GPA: 3.41
Pre-MBA industry: Military & Defense
Post-MBA industry: Consulting
After 4 years in the Army, I'm looking to use an MBA to transition from the military to break into consulting or marketing. I am currently an Army logistics officer. I studied Criminal Justice in undergrad. In college, I was in leadership positions in a fraternity and Army ROTC. On weekends I enjoy fishing, hunting, and picking up trash along the waterways. My transcript has 3 W's on it and a B+ in stats and pre-calculus.

Demographic: White Male (Veteran)
Undergrad: University of Alabama
Major: Criminal Justice
Expect Good LoR
Expect Good to Average Essays
Expect Good to Average Interviewing

What are my odds? How can I increase my odds?
McDonough
Full Time MBA
1 month ago
Goizueta
Full Time MBA
1 month ago
Kelley
Full Time MBA
1 month ago
Johnson (Cornell)
Full Time MBA
1 month ago
Tepper
Full Time MBA
1 month ago
Kenan-Flagler
Full Time MBA
1 month ago
McCombs
Full Time MBA
1 month ago
Mendoza
Full Time MBA
1 month ago
Comments (5 comments)
07 Mar 2024, 13:53
I’d love to chat. Thanks!
06 Mar 2024, 22:59
Welcome to GMAT Club. The great news is that business schools love veterans and have special events for veterans and go quite a bit out of their way to attract them. Veterans are usually also the first ones to get a job.

There are also several veterans support organizations that help with basically free admissions consulting. It’s veterans helping veterans basically. I think it’s called https://service2school.org/sign-up

I think some good tips from other military folks will help you stand out and position you well. Especially for these programs. I think if you wanted to shoot hire, you would need to take one of the tests to demonstrate strong academics but I’m not sure how much appetite you have for that.

I don’t know how much time you have right now and if you have already discharged…. But depending on which stage you’re in, you still have about 4 to 6 months to get a few things under your belt if you’re still in service, you can try to really push your performance and sign up for some challenging projects or leadership opportunities. If you’re out, you can consider demonstrating your commitment to your future career and try to get an internship or an opportunity with volunteering. One of the best things that admissions love is start up experience. It doesn’t have to be anything fancy or substantial or even successful, they just want you to be using your time to have a drive.
07 Mar 2024, 00:29
I'm studying for the GMAT FE currently but thinking worst case scenario that I would need a test waiver. What score would you recommend being the threshold of submitting or deciding to go about a waiver? Do you think I'm still competitive with a waiver or that I absolutely need a good test score?
07 Mar 2024, 02:57
Hi @mbatide,

Thanks for sharing your profile and MBA aspirations. My name is Priyanka, Client Manager at ARINGO.

Your profile provides a good foundation for an MBA application, and your military background adds a unique perspective that can be
valuable in the business school environment. Here's an evaluation and some suggestions to enhance your chances:

Strengths:
- Work Experience: Four years of experience in the military, especially as a logistics officer, demonstrates leadership, discipline, and organizational skills, which are highly valued in the business world.

- Diversity: Being a veteran adds diversity to your profile, and business schools often appreciate the perspectives and experiences that military candidates bring.

- Leadership Experience: Your leadership roles in a fraternity and Army ROTC during undergrad showcase your ability to lead and work in diverse teams.

- Community Involvement: Your commitment to community service, such as picking up trash along waterways, reflects a sense of social responsibility.

Areas to Address:

- GPA: While your GPA of 3.41 is not bad, it's slightly below the average for many top MBA programs. We suggest highlighting any upward trends in your academic performance and providing context for any challenges you faced in your applications.

-Transcript Concerns: The three W's on your transcript may raise questions. Address these in the optional essay by explaining the circumstances and highlighting any subsequent improvements.

- GMAT/GRE Score Waiver: We recommend applying with a test score, instead of a waiver. A good score will strengthen your application (and balance the above two points too) as it can serve as a quantitative measure of your readiness for the academic rigor of an MBA program. It’s great that you are already preparing for GMAT FE. It's good you have time for the applications. There is no minimum score as such. The higher the score the better the chances 😊

Given your strengths and considering the suggested improvements, your odds are reasonable for admission to the targeted schools. Remember that each school looks for a unique set of qualities, so tailor your application to highlight how you align with the values and culture of each institution (we can help with that!). If you send me your CV and other info on priyankak@ARINGO.com, I would love to connect you with our CEO who will be happy to help further with a detailed review and perhaps work together on some amazing apps.

All the best!

https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720 or low GPAs

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young - https://aringo.com/aringo-mba-admission-statistics/
07 Mar 2024, 10:21
Very similar career and stats as me, I’ll be active duty for 3 years with a non-stem/business 3.4 GPA from a public university. Off of your list, I applied to Tepper and McDonough and got into both. What I think really helped me was my essays, reaching out to the veterans clubs for resume feedback, and showing genuine interest through admissions events. I also was R1 which I think is a round that gives off much better odds than 3 or 4 so maybe consider next year too if this year isn’t so great? Oh and my Tepper application was with a GMAT waiver too.

Have you signed up for service2school? A huge resource in my opinion and really helped me put quantitative measures on my resume. I think your school targets are reasonable and definitely within reach with a test score on there. Feel free to PM and I’d love to help out with resources, templates, etc.
07 Mar 2024, 13:53
I’d love to chat. Thanks!