GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2018, 22:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Deferred Admissions Programs Advice & Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V46
Deferred Admissions Programs Advice & Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2017, 04:33
Dear experts and fellow test-takers,

I am in my final undergrad year at a reputable public German university with the original intent of continuing my education with grad school (Msc). As most European institutions require standardized test scores, I took the GMAT last week and performed unexpectedly well (which I largely attribute to the myriad resources on this forum as well as Ron Purewal's Thursday study hall recordings ;) ).

The test center administrator recommended I strongly reconsider whether I really want to do a Msc or whether I should gain a couple years of WE and go straight for an MBA. As a risk-averse German, I would hate to just 'sit on my score' with hopes of getting into a good MBA program down the road when I could begin a reputable Msc right away. I did however stumble across several deferred admissions programs, which would give me the desired peace of mind while I gained WE. I am a US citizen and lived nearly a decade in the states prior to my undergrad. I would very much like to return in the long run and am concerned about whether a top European Msc would carry the same weight in the US job market as it would here.

Here is a summary of my current profile:

GMAT (1st attempt)
760 I Q48 I V46 I IR8 I AWA? (still waiting on official score report)

School
High school (US): GPA 3.7 I SAT 2120
Bsc (Int. BA): GPA 1.3/1.0 (GMAC translates this into a 4.0 but I think that's too generous) I Semester abroad (US state college) GPA 4.11 I 210 Credits + 30 voluntary (ungraded)

WE (only internships)
3 mo. Big4 M&A I will soon begin 4 mo. internship at global mid market M&A i-bank

Extracurricular
University student government I Several student assistant jobs I DECA & HS sports

Languages
German (native) I English (native-TOEFL 119) I Italian B2

Demographics
M I 21yo I Caucasian I US&DE citizen

As for my career interests, I am currently drawn to the financial industry, however would not want to get sucked into banking for eternity. I see an MBA as an excellent opportunity to break free from banking inertia and transition to corporate after having gained valuable experience.

The Msc programs I was considering:
-LSE (Msc Fin&PE)
-Oxbridge (Mphil Fin)
-Bocconi (Msc Fin)
-Imperial (Msc Fin)

Do you recommend any others?
Does the LSE name still carry the clout it once did?

Deferred adm. MBA programs I have stumbled upon:
-HBS 2+2
-Stanford GSB
-Wharton
-Booth
-Yale

Am I missing any?
Are any of these realistic with my profile?
Are deferred admissions much more selective than regular MBA admissions?
Would a 1yr UK Msc + 2ys WE + US MBA combo be a good plan or a waste of time/money?
(I would strongly prefer to use this score while it's valid and not retake the exam down the road)

I am truly grateful for any and all insights the MBA gurus of this forum may be able to provide! Having missed the US college experience, the entire MBA timeline & concept are quite foreign to me.

To all happy holidays and a great start into the new year!
Thanks!
Admissionado
G
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Re: Deferred Admissions Programs Advice & Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2017, 05:40
deusmpb wrote:
Dear experts and fellow test-takers,

I am in my final undergrad year at a reputable public German university with the original intent of continuing my education with grad school (Msc). As most European institutions require standardized test scores, I took the GMAT last week and performed unexpectedly well (which I largely attribute to the myriad resources on this forum as well as Ron Purewal's Thursday study hall recordings ;) ).

The test center administrator recommended I strongly reconsider whether I really want to do a Msc or whether I should gain a couple years of WE and go straight for an MBA. As a risk-averse German, I would hate to just 'sit on my score' with hopes of getting into a good MBA program down the road when I could begin a reputable Msc right away. I did however stumble across several deferred admissions programs, which would give me the desired peace of mind while I gained WE. I am a US citizen and lived nearly a decade in the states prior to my undergrad. I would very much like to return in the long run and am concerned about whether a top European Msc would carry the same weight in the US job market as it would here.

Here is a summary of my current profile:

GMAT (1st attempt)
760 I Q48 I V46 I IR8 I AWA? (still waiting on official score report)

School
High school (US): GPA 3.7 I SAT 2120
Bsc (Int. BA): GPA 1.3/1.0 (GMAC translates this into a 4.0 but I think that's too generous) I Semester abroad (US state college) GPA 4.11 I 210 Credits + 30 voluntary (ungraded)

WE (only internships)
3 mo. Big4 M&A I will soon begin 4 mo. internship at global mid market M&A i-bank

Extracurricular
University student government I Several student assistant jobs I DECA & HS sports

Languages
German (native) I English (native-TOEFL 119) I Italian B2

Demographics
M I 21yo I Caucasian I US&DE citizen

As for my career interests, I am currently drawn to the financial industry, however would not want to get sucked into banking for eternity. I see an MBA as an excellent opportunity to break free from banking inertia and transition to corporate after having gained valuable experience.

The Msc programs I was considering:
-LSE (Msc Fin&PE)
-Oxbridge (Mphil Fin)
-Bocconi (Msc Fin)
-Imperial (Msc Fin)

Do you recommend any others?
Does the LSE name still carry the clout it once did?

Deferred adm. MBA programs I have stumbled upon:
-HBS 2+2
-Stanford GSB
-Wharton
-Booth
-Yale

Am I missing any?
Are any of these realistic with my profile?
Are deferred admissions much more selective than regular MBA admissions?
Would a 1yr UK Msc + 2ys WE + US MBA combo be a good plan or a waste of time/money?
(I would strongly prefer to use this score while it's valid and not retake the exam down the road)

I am truly grateful for any and all insights the MBA gurus of this forum may be able to provide! Having missed the US college experience, the entire MBA timeline & concept are quite foreign to me.

To all happy holidays and a great start into the new year!
Thanks!

Hey there,
Well first of all, to be honest you are a little late in the game for Deferred programs, as we are nearing R2 deadlines, and R3 is much tougher and in March. Nonetheless if you feel these programs fit you, then it would be worth it to give them a shot.

A few thoughts though about what these programs are for and why they exist - as well as to considerations of whether they really make sense. First of all the main stated reason for these programs is to pull candidates who might not otherwise to B-school, usually meaning STEM applicants, but often also Med kids, Law folks etc. As you are in a businessy role, I'm not sure these programs are designed for you, as they might just say "Well, let's see how he does at work, and then after 3,4,5 years he can apply to the regular MBA. It doesn't mean these programs are impossible to get into (something like 10-15% of candidates will come from Econ/Business backgrounds....

Now, although obviously it would be awesome to go into HBS 2+2, on the other hand the vast majority of MBA are designed as post-experience programs for a reason.. and that is you tend to learn more and have clearer goals once you've had a few years experience, and rather than have another fancy piece of paper to tack onto your wall, you are actually getting more out of it.

But a lot has to do with you and YOUR goals. Since you are interested in Finance there is definitely the option to do a more technical pre-experience degree in Finance as you have proposed, and then leave the MBA as an option which you can consider in a few years. Also, if you feel like these early/deferred MBA programs fit you, there is obviously no harm in applying at the same time that you apply to MF programs. It is a bit more work and effort and time, but other than that, to keep open your options it can make sense.

Another option for you, since you are aiming to return to the states, is to do a pre-experience Masters in Finance in the US and not an MBA... which would make more sense than going to even a great European program and then trying to get placed in the US...

Did I miss anything? I hope not. And I hope you find this to be helpful!

Best,
JF

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | Packages | Success Stories | Team

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern
Re: Deferred Admissions Programs Advice & Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2017, 10:49
JonAdmissionado wrote:

Hey there,
Well first of all, to be honest you are a little late in the game for Deferred programs, as we are nearing R2 deadlines, and R3 is much tougher and in March. Nonetheless if you feel these programs fit you, then it would be worth it to give them a shot.

A few thoughts though about what these programs are for and why they exist - as well as to considerations of whether they really make sense. First of all the main stated reason for these programs is to pull candidates who might not otherwise to B-school, usually meaning STEM applicants, but often also Med kids, Law folks etc. As you are in a businessy role, I'm not sure these programs are designed for you, as they might just say "Well, let's see how he does at work, and then after 3,4,5 years he can apply to the regular MBA. It doesn't mean these programs are impossible to get into (something like 10-15% of candidates will come from Econ/Business backgrounds....

Now, although obviously it would be awesome to go into HBS 2+2, on the other hand the vast majority of MBA are designed as post-experience programs for a reason.. and that is you tend to learn more and have clearer goals once you've had a few years experience, and rather than have another fancy piece of paper to tack onto your wall, you are actually getting more out of it.

But a lot has to do with you and YOUR goals. Since you are interested in Finance there is definitely the option to do a more technical pre-experience degree in Finance as you have proposed, and then leave the MBA as an option which you can consider in a few years. Also, if you feel like these early/deferred MBA programs fit you, there is obviously no harm in applying at the same time that you apply to MF programs. It is a bit more work and effort and time, but other than that, to keep open your options it can make sense.

Another option for you, since you are aiming to return to the states, is to do a pre-experience Masters in Finance in the US and not an MBA... which would make more sense than going to even a great European program and then trying to get placed in the US...

Did I miss anything? I hope not. And I hope you find this to be helpful!

Best,
JF

Thank you for your comprehensive and insightful reply! I suppose I was, to an extent, emulating the desires of others with limited consideration of how an MBA would fit into my personal plans. I will certainly apply to some deferred programs, despite the steeper slope as a business undergrad, however consider the option of an MFin in the states.

Thanks!
Admissionado
G
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2018, 09:06
deusmpb wrote:
I suppose I was, to an extent, emulating the desires of others with limited consideration of how an MBA would fit into my personal plans.
Thanks!

:)

I don't blame you for it, dude :)
Good luck with whatever you do!

Best,

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | Packages | Success Stories | Team

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2018, 05:57
Thanks Jon! :)

Deferred Admissions Programs Advice & Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: JonAdmissionado

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap